Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Politics

Politics Step up and make your case on all manner of political topics.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:59 PM   #1
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,877 Posts
Default Montreal becomes 'sanctuary city' after unanimous vote

Comments on the article aren't exactly supportive.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...city-1.3990835

Quote:
Solidarity Across Borders, a Montreal-based human rights organization, welcomed the idea but said the city needs to take steps beyond what it called "easy symbolism."

The group said Montreal police routinely arrest undocumented migrants and hand them over to the Canada Border Services Agency. It wants that practice stopped.

In a statement, the group also called on Montreal to bar border agents from all city premises.
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:07 AM   #2
Ross
Lifetime Member

Thanked 6,067 Times in 2,720 Posts
Well that makes no sense to me .

Quote:
A commitment to offer access to city programs and services,
particularly municipal housing, without fear of being detained or deported.
How can they make such a commitment when presumably detention
and deportation are not under their control . Surely what they are
saying is ''we will not report and otherwise honor our responsibility as Canadian citizens
by reporting crime to relevant authorities '' .
( ''We are special and do not need to follow Canadian law like the rest of you peasants'' ) .

Quote:
A plan for undocumented people in "vulnerable situations" to receive assistance
from Montreal police without being reported to immigration officials.
Oh wait , it gets better .
Surely the police would normally have a responsibility to report and
detain such people with subsequent hand over to immigration officials.
As in ''we are sworn to uphold the law'' .

Cancel that guys , this bunch of ''special people'' have taken it upon
themselves to assume powers never granted and liberate you from
following your sworn duties .

“If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don’t believe in it at all.” ( Noam Chomsky )

‘you can judge a man’s spirit by the amount of truth he can tolerate.’ .... Nietzsche

Last edited by Ross; 02-21-2017 at 07:15 AM.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross For This Useful Post:
Mama Alanna (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 07:12 AM   #3
mordan
Member - Re

For everything there is a cost.
mordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:58 PM   #4
Toner
Hero of Canton

Thanked 2,228 Times in 971 Posts
I don't see how a city council has any authority to tell police what crimes they should not enforce. :/

Adopted internet dad of CanadaSue and Key
Toner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toner For This Useful Post:
rb. (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 04:25 PM   #5
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,851 Times in 2,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toner View Post
I don't see how a city council has any authority to tell police what crimes they should not enforce. :/
Watch it Toner...that sounds suspiciously racist.
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:51 PM   #6
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,047 Times in 5,057 Posts
I don't either but we're talking the Montreal municipal police who enforce law on the Island of Montreal...the area is a mish mash of forces with the provincial police having jurisdiction in some surrounding areas. Just for giggles, I'm off to refresh my very dated knowledge of who exactly polices where in that area before saying anything else.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:07 PM   #7
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Oops - just the Montreal force on the island & the surrounding area is patrolled & policed by the Quebec Provincial Police. I simply can't find any reference to whatever oath of office they swear.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:27 PM   #8
Toner
Hero of Canton

Thanked 2,228 Times in 971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodia View Post
Watch it Toner...that sounds suspiciously racist.

it also does raise the question if the sanctuary ruling will apply to the Quebec language laws too

Adopted internet dad of CanadaSue and Key
Toner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:47 AM   #9
rb.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:06 AM   #10
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Not in the mood this evening for a lot of derailed reading & digging but judging simply by the most recent televised news stories, some headlines across various net media & dipping into a few stories... immigration issues are about to become candidates for Story of the Month Club... and with reason.

Our government has just announced a plan to offer refuge to 1,200 mainly Yasidis from the Syrian conflict - not an inexpensive proposition & the government has pledged 28 million towards this effort. Now I don't know if that's funding over one year, how much of it is in excess of salaries & expenses already budgeted in the relevant departments... hopefully more detail will soon be forthcoming.

Sanctuary cities - yup, Montreal isn't the first, won't be the last.

What do we do about our sieve-like border. Our 'tradition' IS to offer refuge when we can... although yes, I'm aware of several notorious lapses over our history; but one fascinating article I'll post tomorrow talks about the circuitous, lengthy journey most African origin refugee potential claimants take; their hopes for life in the Emerald City, (yeah, we've become the destination of choice, it seems), their fears, etc...

As a Canadian, I want to know those we're letting in don't pose any higher a risk than any native born Canadian from a security stand point. Infectious disease... not a huge concern of mine. If they can survive a lengthy journey through a gamut of environments, with limited provision of basic needs & get here in one piece, any physical issues are probably minor & easily dealt with. But security... I really want to know how an individual or family coming from a very unstable country manages to raise $20K+ per family member to get to a border with Canada.

We're already being warned, (sort of), that many potential refugee claimants are in Mexico & wanting to get here... if they can get through the US without being caught & deported. Warmer weather, (coming soon to a border near us!), will open up the flood gates to people who feel Europe is 'over' as a destination, the US unsafe & oh lookie! A great, big, empty part of the map to inhabit!

Our respective national & provincial agencies & departments need to get their stuff together... now. AND, we really need & the US.co-ordinate with Mexico
Old 02-22-2017, 02:24 AM   #11
rb.

Tax increases, anyone?

At least the Somali men in Mexico are able-bodied, and some (all?) speak English. That should help with getting jobs if they arrive here. Since the feds have done such a rotten job of getting the Syrians English or French language education.

I'm all for helping people, however I'm concerned we will be bankrupted as taxpayers. I'm also concerned there's not enough services (eg. docs...especially fir the Yazidis) to do either locals or refugees any favours.

What a frigging mess.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:15 AM   #12
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Quote:
Since the feds have done such a rotten job of getting the Syrians English or French language education.
That sentence is stunning if you step back from it. It's the host's job to make sure of that? I know it's in there best interest to assist, but the thought that it's their responsibility tells you a lot about where we are today.

That's not a knock on you rb, just a commentary about how upside down the world seems to me.
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:01 PM   #13
rb.

Ex, in a normal immigration system, I would expect those CHOOSING to come to Canada to already have English or French, or the desire and ability to learn one of them. When you are dealing with refugee camps, such as the Syrian situation, groups are just picked up and thrown to the wind in desperation. In such circumstances, I fully place the burden of immediately providing language education upon the organizations or governments that CHOOSE to move these people.

In this situation, Trudeau has made a decision to provide himself with the advantage of photo ops and the label of Great Humanitarian (which he will use to enrich himself in the future, probably in the UN). In exchange, he has dumped ALL responsibility for integrating these people upon the provincial governments, taxpayers, and private citizen sponsership groups.

Yes, in a normal situation, it is the immigrants' responsibility to learn the language.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:35 PM   #14
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

True, good point.

Tags
anctuary, city, montreal, unanimous, vote