Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic > Flu Speculation

Flu Speculation Flu Speculation A place for "off the wall" discussions and speculation about events that "may" be related to influenza ranging from news on outbreaks that might be flu but which aren't confirmed to really OTB theories related to flu.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #1
ontariomom
Member Level 2

Default South American Mutation?

I just heard on our local news channel "Global National" that a lady was waiting in line today for the H1N1 shot but was not high priority and this concerned her because she was travelling to South America, where the news host Kevin Newman said "The virus has mutated"

Did I miss something here?

I searched it online but didn't find anything, and honestly I always come here first for ANY news...but nothing on this site either!
ontariomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,877 Posts
OM, what he may have meant was that it has mutated away from what those in S. America had previously been exposed to. That would mean while it was with us in the north. I wouldn't sweat it, if it had happened to OUR detriment, you'd have learned of it here before it made national news.

For example:

South America bears winter brunt of H1N1 pandemic
(AFP) – Jun 16, 2009
BUENOS AIRES (AFP) — The swine flu deaths of two people in Argentina and a mutation of the H1N1 virus detected in Brazil have added to fears that South America is entering a harsh winter beset by the flu pandemic.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...NAik9vzooON1FA

And remember, mutation doesn't mean more death. Think about it as survival of the fittest virus. The more easily it spreads, the more it reproduces and gets to live. The more it kills it's hosts, and the faster, the less transmission it has, and the less chance it will live and prosper.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,246 Times in 5,118 Posts
Agreed - but let me do my dishes to get over post supper sleepies & see if I can dig anything up.

I'm afraid at this point, pendemic psychology is taking a rough & scary term. In the absence of real CHANGES on any front, often the really whacked rumours start flying.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,866 Times in 4,739 Posts
OM, I googled "Kevin Newman" & "The virus has mutated" and also South America mutation and also H1N1 mutation, and did not come up with any recent information about H1N1 mutating in South America.
“When the situation was manageable it was neglected, and now that it is thoroughly out of hand we apply too late the remedies which then might have effected a cure. There is nothing new in the story. It is as old as the sibylline books. It falls into that long, dismal catalogue of the fruitlessness of experience and the confirmed unteachability of mankind. Want of foresight, unwillingness to act when action would be simple and effective, lack of clear thinking, confusion of counsel until the emergency comes, until self-preservation strikes its jarring gong–these are the features which constitute the endless repetition of history.”
— Winston Churchill, House of Commons, 2 May 1935.
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:07 PM   #5
rb.

September 29, 2009

Branswell on the H1N1 mutation

Via Google News, Helen Branswell of The Canadian Press updates an earlier CP report:

Dutch researchers find mutation linked to greater virulence in swine flu virus.
Dutch scientists have reported they have found what was thought to be a key mutation in some swine flu viruses from the Netherlands, a change many virologists feared would give the viruses the ability to cause more severe disease.
But so far the evidence seems to suggest this mutation does not make the new H1N1 virus more virulent, the researchers said Tuesday.
The change, at position 627 on the PB2 gene of the virus, is known to increase the ability of flu viruses to replicate; prolonged viral replication can lead to more serious illness. The mutation has been found in all known human flu viruses, including the three that caused the pandemics of the last century.

"Everybody predicted that this mutation is going to have a big impact on virus replication of the new H1N1," said Dr. Ron Fouchier, one of the authors of the report and a molecular virologist at Erasmus Medical Centre in Rotterdam.
"If you would have asked me three months ago, I would have bet my car on it. But nobody placed that bet because everybody was sure that it would increase (virulence)."
If they had, it seems they might have been able to claim the keys to Fouchier's SUV.
Three people either known or suspected of having been infected with the mutated H1N1 viruses suffered only mild disease. And ferrets infected with a laboratory synthesized H1N1 virus with this change also did not suffer more severe disease. Ferrets are the standard animal model for human flu.
"Given the information that we have at present, we have no indication for increased virulence," said Dr. Marion Koopmans, chief of virology in the infectious diseases laboratory of the National Institute of Public Health, The Netherlands.

http://crofsblogs.typepad.com/h5n1/2...-mutation.html

The S. American mutation and this being confused?
Old 11-02-2009, 08:10 PM   #6
rb.

And in looking for this original Branswell article I got a search result for here.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:23 AM   #7
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,246 Times in 5,118 Posts
I turned over a hundred rocks looking for any factual basis for that - nothing.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:23 AM   #8
ontariomom
Member Level 2

lol rb - this board rocks!
Thanks for finding that, and thanks for responding guys!

I said to DH last night, "Oh no! Uh uh! If there was a mutation I would have heard about it on the board waay before this news show."

I honestly come here before anywhere else. All these great minds in one place is the best type of coverage anyone could ask for!

I do recall hearing about that mutation, and Sue you are right - stories are getting blown out of whack and the media is getting reeeeeally bad!
ontariomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #9
Kassy
Eurothrash

Helen's clearly light years ahead of our local press...
Old 11-03-2009, 05:38 PM   #10
Sonny
Star Witness

The High risk group?

Monday, 4:23 pm

Nov, 2nd 2009

Hundreds of people wait in line outside a health clinic in Elmsdale, N.S. for their turn to be injected with the H1N1 flu vaccine. (Andrew Vaughan/Canadian Press)

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/...t-cassels.html

Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:39 PM   #11
Malcolm
Senior Level 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassy View Post
Helen's clearly light years ahead of our local press...
Beam me up F.B.
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:20 PM   #12
Samen
unregistered

It was on Promead here its more understandable, if this is the one you talking about

Mutation found in swine flu virus; what does it mean?

Category: Bird fluSwine flubiology
Posted on: October 1, 2009 7:01 AM, by revere
A couple of days ago Dr. Marion Koopmans, chief of virology in the infectious diseases laboratory of the National Institute of Public Health, The Netherlands, notified the infectious disease community through the website/email list ProMed that two of their swine flu isolates showed a particular genetic change in one of the virus's eight genetic segments. Even though this virus has been described as relatively stable genetically, individual viruses, even within the same patient, often have small differences in the thousands of letters that make up their genetic code. Influenza A virus is a very sloppy reproducer, and while its only objective in life is to make a copy of itself it often does single task very badly. But it's like the guy who was asked how he could sell his gasoline for a penny less than he paid for it, his answer was, "volume." The flu virus makes so many copies of itself when it infects a host cell that it can afford to make a lot of mistakes. Usually those mistakes are disastrous for the copy and it doesn't replicate any more. Very many of the little mistakes are just little mistakes and don't affect the virus at all. And some of them turn out to be good for the virus and possibly bad for the host in that they allow the virus to replicate faster, infect more and different kinds of cells and increase its ability to transmit from one host organism to another (transmissibility). So research groups like Koopmans's keep an eye on the genetic make-up of this pandemic virus as it continues to spread globally. Everyone expects it to change and we are getting what we are expecting. So what's the big deal -- if there is one -- that caused Koopmans to send around an alert?
It would be nice if we could look at the genetic sequence of the virus and read off its biology. For the most part we can't. We have only little clues here and there about what makes one flu virus able to infect a bird but not a human or vice versa or both. Or what makes the virus easily transmissible from one person to another or from a bird to a human or a human to a pig. Or what made the 1918 pandemic strain so virulent (able to cause a lot of serious disease) while the usual seasonal flu does so in only a minority of cases. Each time we think we've got "the answer" the flu virus crosses us up. Take the mutation in question, designated E627K in PB2. PB2 is a protein coded by one of the flu's eight genetic segments. It is an abbreviation for polymerase basic protein 2 and is part of a three part package consisting of PB1, PB2 and PA proteins the virus uses to copy its genetic material and translate the genetic material into other proteins it needs (including themselves, i.e., PB1, PB2 and PA). These three proteins work together as a team and interact with another protein (NP) that acts as a structural scaffolding for the genetic material itself, the RNA (humans carry genetic information in DNA but flu viruses use RNA). The E627K mutation means that at position 627 along the amino acid chain that makes up the PB2 protein, one amino acid, glutamic acid. whose one letter abbreviation is E, had been changed to lysine (abbreviation, K). Bird influenza viruses usually have the E version at this position while humans usually have the K version. It had been thought that the switch from E to K is needed for full adaptation to humans and everyone was ore than a little surprised when the new pandemic strain turned out to have the E version and not the K version. So people have been expecting to see the K version pop up and they've been looking for it. Koopmans was the first to find it.
So what does this mean? So far we really don't know. By the time the first mutation was detected it was too late to do comprehensive contact tracing. Only one other isolate showed the same mutation but it wouldn't be surprising if there were others that were undetected (you can read more about the investigation in Koopmans ProMed notice or in an excellent piece by Helen Branswell of Canaddian Press). But that doesn't answer the question of the significance of this event -- if any. Both cases typical flu cases and recovered. When the isolate was inoculated into ferrets, Koopmans did not report it appeared to be any more virulent than the E version. One of the big fears was that the mutation would make things worse. The origin of this is a finding that the mutation makes it easier for the virus to replicate at lower temperatures. Birds have relatively high body temps (about 41 degrees C.) compared to humans (37 degrees C., and the temperature in our upper respiratory tracts is even lower, around 33 degrees C. The concern about this mutation arose around the bird flu virus, H5N1, which is extremely virulent. Since the deeper parts of the lung are warmer than the upper respiratory tract, the fear was that switching from E to K would allow the bird flu virus to replicate in the human upper tract more easily and make it much more transmissible. At the moment H5N1 causes a disastrous infection in a few people (why these people and not others equally or more exposed we don't know), but it doesn't transmit from person to person (only a few documented instances exist). An elegant experiment by Kawaoka we discussed here two years ago demonstrated that this single mutation was enough to switch the propensity of H5N1 to infect upper or lower respiratory tract host cells. He had found the two variants in the same Vietnamese patient infected with H5N1. The isolate from deep in the lung was the E variant (bird), the one in the upper tract was the K variant (human), but both were in PB2 that were part of the H5N1 bird flu virus. When Kawaoka switched the two amino acids experimentally, he also switched where the virus liked to infect (upper or lower).
So the way the story was reading in 2007 was that the E variant was more virulent (because it infected cells deep in the lungs) but the K variant might make the virus more transmissible. That's something we really didn't want to happen with H5N1, which so far is so virulent it is killing over half of the people we know to be infected. The K variant was thought to be necessary for full adaptation in humans. And maybe that's right for H5N1. But it sure isn't right for H1N1, which has managed to more than fully adapt (it's crowding out the seasonal viruses) and is spreading like crazy even thought virtually all of it is the E variant at 627. Nor has it seemed to change the virulence of the virus, although we don't have a lot of isolates to play with at this point.
I've often quoted a noted flu scientist who once said to me, "I knew much more about flu 20 years ago than I do now" (meaning that things we thought we knew then we now realize we didn't really know). With this pandemic and the pace of new science and discoveries in the flu world, we'll have to modify this to, "We knew much more about flu 6 months ago than we do now." The simple truth is that as much as we know, we haven't yet been able to put the pieces together into a solid story. Every time we think we've got a handle on what's going on the flu virus thumbs its nose at us.
We'll get it eventually. But right now when I read that this mutation is popping up or that we have now discovered the "secret" of why flu does this or that, I don't jump up with fear or anticipation. It's going to be a long, hard climb until we reach a place where we can really see the broader landscape and not just what's a few inches in front of our face.

http://scienceblogs.com/effectmeasur...ine_flu_vi.php
Samen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:56 PM   #13
caonacl
the truth is precious

Swine Flu Hits Remote Amazon Tribe

2009-11-6 9:36116

The isolated tribe of Yanomami Indians in the Amazon jungle live a remote life, but that hasn't protected them from the global pandemic of swine flu.

Based on the border between Venezuela and Brazil, seven have died in the last two weeks.

A further 1,000 in Venezuela are believed to be infected.

It's now feared the virus could sweep through to the Brazil side of the tribe who have little resistance to introduced diseases.

Doctor and tribe member Davi Kopenawa accuses national governments of ignoring their medical needs.

[Davi Kopenawa, Doctor and Tribe Member]:
"I believe the children have not received the proper shots and the people are not protected against this disease, so I think many people will die."

In the 1980s and 90's, 20 percent of Yanomami died of malaria, flu and other diseases when goldminers invaded their lands.

Globally swine flu has claimed more than 6,000 lives and will have a devastating effect on the Amazon's largest isolated tribe if they are not urgently treated.

http://english.ntdtv.com/ntdtv_en/ns...953881578.html
caonacl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:43 PM   #14
ltow
lurker level 3.14

google noticias para
gripe y porcina y cambiar

el zippo

nada aqui

Tags
american, mutation, south