Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic > Flu Speculation

Flu Speculation Flu Speculation A place for "off the wall" discussions and speculation about events that "may" be related to influenza ranging from news on outbreaks that might be flu but which aren't confirmed to really OTB theories related to flu.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:08 AM   #26
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,109 Posts
What do you think, Kassy? Should we toss this into Flu Spec? (I had to check to see if it wasn't there already!)
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:03 AM   #27
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,973 Times in 2,223 Posts
I vote for spec.
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:11 PM   #28
Ross
Lifetime Level 1

Thanked 6,163 Times in 2,767 Posts
Ukraine virus changes confirmed .

Quote:
Receptor Binding Domain Change D225G Confirmed in Ukraine
Recombinomics Commentary 14:41
November 18, 2009
Mill Hill has released a series of sequences from patients in Ukraine. Four of the samples had the receptor binding domain change D225G. Three samples were from lung, one from a throat swab.

Samples with D255G are listed below

A/Lviv/N6/2009

A/Lviv/N2/2009

A/Ternopil/N11/2009

A/Ternopil/N10/2009

All HA samples also had a Ukraine specific marker that had been previously found in swine.
Article from Recombinomics .

“If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don’t believe in it at all.” ( Noam Chomsky )

‘you can judge a man’s spirit by the amount of truth he can tolerate.’ .... Nietzsche
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:21 PM   #29
Malcolm
Senior Level 3

So much for the Speculation
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:31 PM   #30
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,973 Times in 2,223 Posts
So this:
Quote:
Four of the samples had the receptor binding domain change D225G
is confirmation of this:
Quote:
A DEADLY plague could sweep across Europe,.....A cocktail of three flu viruses are reported to have mutated into a single pneumonic plague, which it is believed may be far more dangerous than swine flu......A doctor in Western Ukraine who did not want to be named, said:” We have carried out post mortems on two victims and found their lungs are as black as charcoal.
“They look like they have been burned. It’s terrifying.”
???
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:28 PM   #31
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:15 pm Post subject:
Ukraine Dead Increase to 344 - Sequences Released
Recombinomics Commentary 19:17
November 17, 2009

1,502,345 Influenza/ARI

85,904 Hospitalized

344 Dead

The above tally is from the latest update from the Ukraine Ministry of health. The 344 dead represents an increase of 16 from yesterday's total, which is similar to recent daily increases. The steady climb in fatal cases highlights the importance of the release of sequences by Mill Hill a WHO regional center in London.

Included in the sequences from 10 isolates were four HA sequences with the receptor binding domain change, D225G, which was found in the one throat and three lung samples. The change was not found in isolates from nasopharyngeal washes, suggesting D225G may lead to high concentrations of H1N1 in patient's lungs. The high concentration of virus leads to a cytokine storm that destroys the lungs in a few days.

The finding of D225G in lung tissues raises concerns rergarding sequencing of isolates from nasopharyngeal swabs. The monitoring of this important genetic change in the receptor binding domain may require sampling of lung tissues or fluids.

The relationship between the negative nasopharyngeal washes and the lung samples would be useful.

Kudos to Mill Hill and WHO for the prompt release of the panel of H1N1 sequences from Ukraine patients.

http://www.recombinomics.com/News/11...raine_344.html
Amberglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:30 PM   #32
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

Stole this from Marina at PFI...

RBD Change D225G in Ukraine Lungs Raises Concerns
Recombinomics Commentary 21:53
November 18, 2009

Mill Hill, a WHO regional center in London has placed sequences from 10 isolates from Ukraine on deposit at GISAID (see list below). They are to be commended for the prompt deposit of these important sequences. The availability of the sequences should put an end to wild speculation on the origins of the Ukraine outbreak.

All H and N sequences are typical for H1N1, as indicated in early WHO announcements. There are no large changes. Additional gene segments have been deposited from a subset of these isolates (but not analyzed below). There are silent changes that are in all or most Ukraine sequences, but the only HA polymorphism was the receptor binding domain change, D225G. This polymorphism was in the three lung, as well as the one throat sample. It was not in the nasopharyngeal washes or the isolate grown in MDCK cells suggesting the D225G may have a tissue tropism component and may allow for high levels of virus in the lung.

D225G was also found in necropsy lung tissue from fatal cases in Sao Paulo, further supporting tissue tropism associated with this polymorphism. The polymorphism has recently appeared on a series of different genetic backgrounds, supporting acquisition by recombination. The genetic backgrounds were geographically diverse. It was appended onto a genetic background specific for China as well as another distinct background found in Singapore and Japan. It has also recently appeared on backgrounds from Spain and Brazil. In addition, it was in isolates from last spring collected in the United States and Mexico.

The appearance of D225G on multiple recent genetic backgrounds raises concerns that the polymorphism is offering a selective advantage in association with multiple genetic backgrounds, and the selective detection of the polymorphism in lung and throat samples may indicate it is more widespread because of its absence from nasopharyngeal washes. Lung and throat sampling may be required for detection and determination of the true geograpohical reach of this change..

More information on outcomes for these patients, as well as results for lung and nasopharyngeal samples from the same patient, would be useful.

The prompt release of these sequences should help guide further analysis of the evolving swine H1N1.

A/Khmelnitsky/1/2009 EPI_ISL_62017
A/Ternopil/19/2009 EPI_ISL_62016
A/Ternopil/11/2009* EPI_ISL_62015
A/Ternopil/6/2009 EPI_ISL_62014
A/Ternopil/5/2009 EPI_ISL_62013
A/Lviv/N6/2009* EPI_ISL_62012
A/Ternopil/N11/2009 EPI_ISL_62011
A/Ternopil/N10/2009 EPI_ISL_62010
A/Lviv/N2/2009* EPI_ISL_62009
A/Kyiv/N1/2009 EPI_ISL_62008
Old 11-18-2009, 07:32 PM   #33
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

Hat tip to Cascadians at TB2:

http://fluboard.rhizalabs.com/forum/...p=20585#p20585

http://www.segodnya.ua/news/14095058.html (i've a summary in french but not in english)

french to english with Google

According to the chief pulmonologist at the hospital in Lviv (Western Ukraine, NDT), Dr. Rudnitskaya, who suffered from pneumonia related to influenza A H1N1 may develop chronic lung disease, as the bronchial asthma, because it seems that the disease has caused irreversible organic changes in their lungs. Doctors, however, seem to be still struggling to explain how the phenomenon occurs.

"We're just beginning to study these patients, and we follow them closely, asking them to do regular blood tests and urine. The disease has caused irreversible changes in their lungs, "said the physician assistant department head of research infectious Andrusishin doctor, hospital, Ivano-Frankivsk (Western Ukraine, NDT). "They have great difficulty recovering from their weakened immune system, and there is a high risk they incur all sorts of other infections. Many children who are yet cured of the flu continue to have a temperature of 40 °. We also have three people in intensive care with an influenza syndrome meta-type "meningo-encephalitis (inflammation of the cerebral cortex, NDT). Members of our staff, who were hit by the virus, now suffering from myocarditis. "
Old 11-18-2009, 07:34 PM   #34
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

I had to look it up..

myocarditis |ˌmīəˌkärˈdītəs|
noun Medicine
inflammation of the heart muscle.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:33 PM   #35
Kassy
Eurothrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Alanna View Post
What do you think, Kassy? Should we toss this into Flu Spec? (I had to check to see if it wasn't there already!)
It's begging for it isn't it?

I'll move it to Flu Spec.

If people think there's something interesting about RBD-Changes start a new thread or comment on the regular Ukraine thread since that's not really related to the 'plague worse then swine flu' topic at all. Thanks.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:17 PM   #36
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

Thanked 1,110 Times in 653 Posts
The thread did go more than a little haywire..,
Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:30 PM   #37
Auburn Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarrah View Post
Anything that differs from the correct news, given by the Networks is tin foil hat.

Thanks for setting me straight.

edited to add:

I'm adding this quote. It seems like "I" posted videos from acceptable news sources. While you, hang out in conspiracy sites. Yet my delivery of what I found is tin foil hat and you aren't. Good one.

But then I am very tired and perhaps all the tin foil hat name calling wasn't for me at all and I took it wrong.
I also have no idea in the world what you are talking about super models.
Sorry, I don't "hang out on conspiracy sites." YouTube is an "acceptable news site?"

But I did search using GOOGLE for Moshe, he can be found in the MSM right after his incident, and thence forward only on conspiracy sites. So, conspiracy sites picked him up as real news. Not correct news, just news..,

So, the people who posted it as a YouTube story, or called it in to a talk show with all their speculation attached are

The Prime Minister of Ukraine Tymoshenko is a former supermodel, and she';d like all Ukrainians to use lemon and garlic to fend off the swine flu. That's what I meant.

My mixed comments about Ukrainian politicians (Yuschenko, and Tymoshenko) were intended to point out their lack of credibility in analyzing a flu outbreak from a scientific standpoint, and to indicate the politicization of
H1N1 in their country.

If YOU choose to beleive that Joseph Mosshe is a Mossad agent, and that he knows the Ukrainians were attacked by their own govermment as part of a biowarfare experiement, that is your choice. I won't go hunting for tin hats.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:36 PM   #38
Auburn Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodia View Post
So this:
Quote:
Four of the samples had the receptor binding domain change D225G
is confirmation of this:

Quote:
A DEADLY plague could sweep across Europe,.....A cocktail of three flu viruses are reported to have mutated into a single pneumonic plague, which it is believed may be far more dangerous than swine flu......A doctor in Western Ukraine who did not want to be named, said:” We have carried out post mortems on two victims and found their lungs are as black as charcoal.
“They look like they have been burned. It’s terrifying.”

is confirmation of this:

???
It IS if you believe that: "All Fatal Ukraine Cases at GISAID Have RBD D225G" as indicated here:

http://www.recombinomics.com/News/11...tal_D225G.html

Four deaths is ALL cases???

The only thing that four cases points out is that we should WATCH fore more D225G.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:38 PM   #39
Auburn Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassy View Post
OK ~ i'm quite unsure about this thread...i might move it to Flu Spec later.

This is just media confusion so far.

Then there's mr Moshe & the vaccine conspiracy. I watched the first video & i wonder how much of an acceptable news source that was. Some hint of conspiracy there...good thing they threw out the Amero though, i favor the North American Dollar myself.

Please post the Ukraine flu news here:
http://thisbluemarble.com/showthread.php?t=15483

{sigh..,} I can breathe a little freer now, I'm gald I wasn't the only one who got those impressions.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:33 AM   #40
Kassy
Eurothrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn Boy View Post
The thread did go more than a little haywire..,
Well yes & it featured several discussions at the same time. Now it's moved we can get to another point which keeps nagging me. You state:

Quote:
The Prime Minister of Ukraine Tymoshenko is a former supermodel, and she';d like all Ukrainians to use lemon and garlic to fend off the swine flu. That's what I meant.
I thought this was what you meant the first time but her wiki entry doesn't mention it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yulia_Tymoshenko
Quote:
Early life and career

Tymoshenko is the daughter of Ludmila Nikolaevna Telegina and Vladimir Abramovich Grigean (her father left the family when Yulia was three years old). She was born in Dnipropetrovsk, Ukrainian SSR (now Ukraine). In 1979, she married Oleksandr Tymoshenko, son of a mid-level Soviet communist party bureaucrat, and began rising through a number of positions under the Komsomol, the official Soviet Communist youth organization. She graduated from the Dnipropetrovsk State University with a degree in economics in 1984, and went on to gain a candidate degree (the equivalent of a Ph.D.) in economics. Since then, she has written about 50 papers.
Now she has the looks (and apparently has a contract with Organa Hair Styles ) but beauty queens don't write papers do they? Maybe the communist beauty queens had to follow different rules...
Old 11-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #41
Ross
Lifetime Level 1

Thanked 6,163 Times in 2,767 Posts
Quote:
Four deaths is ALL cases???

The only thing that four cases points out is that we should WATCH fore more D225G.
There are other reputable sources ( blonde bombshells aside ) that talk
of significant numbers of patients with hemorrhagic pneumonia .

“If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don’t believe in it at all.” ( Noam Chomsky )

‘you can judge a man’s spirit by the amount of truth he can tolerate.’ .... Nietzsche
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:39 PM   #42
Auburn Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
There are other reputable sources ( blonde bombshells aside ) that talk
of significant numbers of patients with hemorrhagic pneumonia .
Yes, agreed. Sources..,

Symptoms, not sequences.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:41 PM   #43
Auburn Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassy View Post
Well yes & it featured several discussions at the same time. Now it's moved we can get to another point which keeps nagging me. You state:

I thought this was what you meant the first time but her wiki entry doesn't mention it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yulia_Tymoshenko

Now she has the looks (and apparently has a contract with Organa Hair Styles ) but beauty queens don't write papers do they? Maybe the communist beauty queens had to follow different rules...

Maybe just the Ukrainian definition of "Super Model..," Bomshell, for sure..,

I didn't say she wasn't smart, but she's making some stupid claims.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:49 AM   #44
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,285 Times in 5,130 Posts
An economics degree doesn't mean you know squat about pandemic flu.

I still think, (opinion only), that the 'situation' is the Ukraine is being grossly over played up for political purposes.

Right now, I'd like to start seeing some numbers rather than alleged numbers of the more severe cases & what autopsy showed. We need to see come solid corelation between clinical course & findings involved with genetic sequencing.

I doubt we'll get a good picture for quite some time - hard to do a proper analysis of something as it unfolds.

Tags
flu, hit, million, plague, swine, worse