Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic > Flu Prep

Flu Prep This room is dedicated only to discussion of medical preparation for flu and the mitigation of the spread or symptoms of influenza. Please use the Prep Room for generic prep discussions (food, water, security, etc.)

Old 09-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
PatS
Member Level 1

Default Expiry for preps?

Cleaning out the pantry and wondering about unopened items purchased 6 years back or so. I have read in many articles that dates stamped on food and even medicine don't truly reflect expiration of usefulness and things are generally good years past the "best by" date.

So how about unopened items like: hydrogen peroxide, betadyn, listerine, sambucol, alka selzer plus, neosporin, itch cream, etc.

Is there an online FAQ that I can check for items like this to see what can be kept for another few years? (The bad economy has reached my house, I'm afraid.)
PatS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,693 Times in 4,661 Posts
PatS, try http://www.stilltasty.com/ and http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/up...ate1103a.shtml

Hydrogen peroxide should last a long time if unopened, but anything with corn syrup or oils (excluding petroleum and mineral oils) could possibly spoil if very old or exposed to heat. Packages can rupture in the cold too, and damage the contents.

I'd err on the side of safety with anything you plan on ingesting, but just the sniff test for rub ons... if it is rancid you'll know right away, and at worst it just won't be as effective.
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
PatS
Member Level 1

Thanks, flourbug. Everything's been kept in the requisite cool, dry place. I did have a bottle of Sambucol, opened probably 5 years ago, that smelled just fine. But since it was open, it'll get tossed.

I have a few small boxes of canned and bottled food, my "pandemic stash" that needs to be replaced. Much of it is a year or two past its best buy date. Does anyone know if any place accepts older food or does it need tossing? I've been eating out of it, but I'm thinking the government won't allow it to go to a homeless person because it's past its bb date...
Old 09-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,693 Times in 4,661 Posts
PatS, I pretty much ignore expiration date on canned items. Unless the can is bulging or leaking, I open it. If it looks okay and smells okay, I eat it. Canned items really don't go bad, it is the taste, texture, and color that deteriorates over time. Bottles and home canned items are different, and also pop top cans like soda and canned soups can have small leaks that can't be seen from the outside. I am wary no matter what the expiration date is... I look for spoilage, mold, etc, then boil for at least 15 min.

Don't know about food pantries accepting expired canned goods. Call and see.
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flourbug For This Useful Post:
PatS (09-19-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
alfalfacentari

In 1970 the military was feeding us C-rations canned in 1945. I lost a lot of weight that year so maybe the food value was low. Come to think of it, maybe I should try it again... ;-)
alfalfacentari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:48 AM   #6
PatS
Member Level 1

The food bank DID take the past-best by dated foods. I kept some and replaced some, now that I see what got eaten and what didn't. No sense keeping stuff on the shelf that we aren't going to use up.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #7
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

Thanked 1,110 Times in 653 Posts
I've been eating my preps for a year now..,

Expirations are about 1 to 2 years old. I haven't found anything that seems or ends up tasing unpalatable yet..,

So far so good.
Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #8
Oric
El Turco

Thanked 2,217 Times in 980 Posts
What about antivirals?
Oric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,806 Times in 2,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oric View Post
What about antivirals?
Google for "Patriot Nurse". She goes all into that on a YouTube video and some research that has been performed.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #10
Susie
I am NOT French, I just happen to live here

A big black indelible marker works well for erasing those pesky sell-by dates.
Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #11
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,860 Times in 2,181 Posts
We opened a 6yo can of soup about a month ago My ds REALLY wanted some chicken noodle. Like REALLY wanted it, and a 14 yo will not be denied when hungry...

The noodles were a bit soft, but he never mentioned it.
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #12
andy
Senior Level 5

Thanked 1,227 Times in 659 Posts
I had 3 years worth of food stored up around the summer of 2005.

The 10 cases of beer and 20 bottles of wine went first.

The peanut butter lasted for a year before it was all gone - I think I had 30 jars.

I never ate all of the canned meats. I donated several hundred canned goods to charity winning me a $100 gift certificate (I think this was a wash).

I had some Kraft mac & cheese - the cheese went bad.

Now - 7 1/2 years later, it will soon be time to open the two containers of powdered milk!!!! That is all that is left. I think I spent $20.00 total for them and could not bring myself to throw them away.

More on this later.
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #13
Justathought

Quote:
=Oric

What about antivirals?
I remember Tamiflu was dated good for 5 years from it's production date. Then a year or so ago that was extended another 2 years.

On the one hand there is pressure on the company that makes Tamiflu to extend the "good to use date" from governments that have invested Billions of dollars in Tamiflu stockpiles. On the other hand, the manufacturer would like to sell more Tamiflu at those huge profits.

If in doubt, just double the dose. That worked best for H5N1, and I notice that the CDC is hinting that more Tamiflu, taken longer than previously recommended, might work best for H7N9 too.

Keep your eyes open for treatment details.

Last edited by Justathought; 04-19-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Justathought is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
expiry, preps