Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Alternative and Survival Medicine

Alternative and Survival Medicine Investigations and discussion into health systems, practices, and products that are not considered part of conventional medicine.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:33 PM   #1
A.T. Hagan
Your "Crazy Town" reporter

Thanked 7,217 Times in 3,064 Posts
Default Progress In The Fight Against A Parasite That Causes Diarrheal Disease

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsand...rrheal-disease

The Cryptsporidium parasite emerges from the oocyst ready to infect.
Source: Courtesy of University of Georgia
Credit: Muthgapatti Kandasamy & Boris Striepen

Quote:
Scientists are reporting progress in the fight against a parasite that's a major cause of diarrheal disease in the developing world.

To make progress against any microbial disease, scientists usually try to find ways to tinker with the microbe's genes, looking for weak spots that could be exploited with drugs.

But tinkering with the genes of Cryptosporidium parvum has been difficult, if not completely impossible. No one has been able to figure out how to apply the standard tools of molecular biology to this parasite, because it's particularly difficult to work with in the lab. Now that's changing, thanks to work done by Boris Striepen and his colleagues at the University of Georgia in Athens.
This is a big deal not just for the Third World, but for the immune challenged, and preppers everywhere as well.

Cryptospiridium along with Giardia and Cyclospora are particularly difficult microbes to kill when it comes to sanitizing water. It takes a long contact time and a fairly stiff dose of treatment chemical (such as chlorine). A quality filter can strain them out easily enough, but first you must have that quality filter and know how to use it properly.

It's early days yet, but perhaps this will eventually lead to not only medications to treat the disease, but also a vaccine.
sandyd (07-16-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 09:15 AM   #2
gsgs
searching for truth

> Using CRISPR, Striepen and his colleagues were able to develop a system for
> altering genes in Cryptosporidium.
> everyone seems to agree that it's crucial for researchers to try risky projects if they are to
> make important advances.

certainly not "everyone" ...
"terrorists" may use this in some decades to create/alter pathogens
to fit their purpose

we have no concept to even recognize/discuss where this all may be going
Old 07-17-2015, 11:17 PM   #3
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,877 Posts
Giardia can be a bitch to kill once you have it. I suffered for several months before being told I had it (doc screw-up). I was given meds by a second doc, before even giving a stool sample. I STILL didn't know I had it. That was in July. That action did the trick because the second sample returned negative, taken a few days later.

In August I was contacted to be interviewed by the public health unit, as THEY'D been informed of the positive test #1 by the lab, but doc #1 never informed me (late June test). At that time, they informed me of a woman in the next city that had it for a YEAR, and nothing worked to kill it. (Or she was re-infecting herself.)

Anything they can do to immobilize this stuff would be awesome. My mother thought I was dying of cancer, looking at me. I was a bag of bones, with periodic explosions of any food or liquids consummed. It took me until Christmas before I began to feel better.
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rb. For This Useful Post:
A.T. Hagan (07-21-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 11:55 PM   #4
Ter
Voluntary Exile

Thanked 1,961 Times in 689 Posts
I am surprised. Living in the tropics I had Giardia several times. I don't know how many times because the moment I or any of my family members get symptoms, I treated with Flagyl (metronidazole) and since a couple of years with secnidazole. (I was trained to diagnose parasites in blood and stool but Giardia is notoriously difficult to recognise because they die very quickly outside of the intestine).
Secnidazole is much more convenient, a one day treatment with about 100% success. Those meds are effective against all protozoans including amoebiasis, giardia...

So RB I am sorry you had to suffer so much and so long, I am really surprised.

see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8706597

I was under the impression that Cryptosporidium was not such a common cause for diarrhoea compared to the Salmonella bacteria and Rotavirus pathogens. We look for cryptosporidium if we can't find anything else, especially in immune-suppressed patients.
Ter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ter For This Useful Post:
A.T. Hagan (07-21-2015)
Old 07-28-2015, 09:19 AM   #5
flowerchild
Senior Level 1

This is why I quit drinking my city's water. Three times in one year my son got this. Each time I called the city, and each time they found it. It just wasn't worth his health. We only drink bottled water now.
flowerchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:50 AM   #6
FourAces
Member Level 3

Just lost 4 pounds in weight courtesy of the tap water in Blackpool. That's a holiday I won't forget in a hurry.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-33844758
FourAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:06 PM   #7
A.T. Hagan
Your "Crazy Town" reporter

Thanked 7,217 Times in 3,064 Posts
Did you gut it out or get treated?

Certainly no fun.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:06 PM   #8
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,904 Times in 2,919 Posts
Quote:
Investigations continue into how traces of cryptosporidium, which can cause stomach upsets, got into Franklaw water treatment works outside Preston.
I rember reading some news article in the last 10 years ago or so where there was some mix up and some munincipal worker hooked up a sewage line to the water main line. Of course it was thinned so much you couldn't see it but it was contaminated.I think they had to flush the entire water system.
Quote:
"Most people would just get a mild tummy upset which might last for a few days or a little bit longer.
Give it a try Kate. Give it a try.

Tags
diarrheal, disease, fight, parasite, progress