Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Outdoors > Sports

Old 03-31-2016, 01:52 PM   #1
A.T. Hagan
Your "Crazy Town" reporter

Thanked 7,123 Times in 3,022 Posts
Default U.S. Women's Soccer Team Members File Federal Equal-Pay Complaint

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...-pay-complaint

Carli Lloyd (left) and Megan Rapinoe are two of the five star players
who filed a wage complaint against U.S. Soccer. The players say
that the whole team supports their case, which accuses the national
federation of paying male players far more money.
Maddie Meyer - FIFA/FIFA via Getty Images

Quote:
Five star players from the U.S. women's national soccer team have filed a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, saying that the U.S. Soccer Federation pays the reigning World Cup champions far less than their male counterparts.

"I think that we've proven our worth over the years," Carli Lloyd, the 2015 FIFA women's player of the year, said in an interview on NBC's Today show. "Just coming off of a World Cup win, the pay disparity between the men and women is just too large."

The complaint was filed by five high-profile players — Lloyd, Hope Solo, Alex Morgan, Megan Rapinoe and Becky Sauerbrunn — who say that each member of the women's national team is paid thousands of dollars less than the men at nearly every level of competition, from playing "friendly" matches to qualifying and playing in the World Cup.
Quote:
As ESPN reports, "The filing, citing figures from the USSF's 2015 financial report, says that despite the women's team generating nearly $20 million more revenue last year than the U.S. men's team, the women are paid almost four times less."
linttrap (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 09:39 PM   #2
pave_spectre
Freakin' out the Polar Bears.

"four times less" ???

So they are paid in negative dollars?

When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution, and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
pave_spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:36 PM   #3
SSG Rex
Now with SFC! Coming soon: MR!

While I am totally against gender pay inequality in most cases, sports figures are paid according to their current market worth. Jordan Morris (a rookie) isn't going to be making what Clint Dempsey or Landon Donovan makes (made) either.
This is not just skill-based, but a reflection of how much money the player can make the team.
And I hate to say it, but the market for the women's soccer team is much less than the men's team.
I'm a soccer fan. I watched the hell out of the (men's) World Cup, not just the US matches but the matches of every team in our group, plus a lot of other matches just cause. I think I watched one USWNT match in the women's World Cup, because 'Merica.
I'm a religious Sounders fan, but never watched a Reign match.

And it's not because men only watch men's sports and we're dicks. My wife loves basketball, but when I had the opportunity to get free tickets to the Seattle Storm, she looked at me like was crazy - like "who the hell wants to watch girl's basketball"?

Anyway, the point being that there is a lot less money in women's professional sports, it's not as widely watched - especially when soccer falls somewhere behind football, baseball, college football, auto racing, basketball, and hockey in US viewership.
Women's soccer falls behind bowling, and I didn't think anybody actually watched bowling.

PS - Hope Solo can piss off. Domestic abusers (and other criminals) have no place in pro sports, she should have been kicked out permanently.

Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider
NRA Life Member
Oath Keeper
Texas Sons of Liberty Rider

The opinions expressed above do not represent the position of the US Army or the DOD.
SSG Rex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
complaint, equalpay, federal, file, members, soccer, team, women