Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Our Leisure Time > Travel

Travel Where are you? Where do you want to go? Post your travel stories here.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:33 PM   #1
A.T. Hagan
Your "Crazy Town" reporter

Thanked 7,209 Times in 3,060 Posts
Default Japan releases guide to etiquette in a bid to stop holidaymakers burping, farting and talking loudly in public

Quote:
Hokkaido Tourism Organization released a brochure and addressed the actions it would like to curb
Behaviour it deems unacceptable includes speaking loudly outside, not eating all of your food and jumping queues
Latest guide was created as an update to the original after it was hit by criticism when released in August last year
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...ly-public.html

The latest version of the guide highlights that bringing food into
a restaurant or taking leftovers out is frowned upon in Japan
NowVoyager (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 12:40 PM   #2
Sysiphus
Senior Level 6

Thanked 1,905 Times in 1,089 Posts
From there to here, and here to there, Chinese tourists are everywhere.

Sea-Tac the other day was practically a riot in passport control.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:44 PM   #3
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,902 Times in 2,918 Posts
Eating all the food and Westerners.

Always clashing with the Asian custom of making sure the guest are totally satiated.

Westerners read this stuff, eat all the food, the Asians think they didn't serve enough, bring or order more food, the Westerners feel required to eat it all or they will insult the guest, wash, rinse repeat until the Westerner is about the burst.

Not as bad as it used to be as Asians, especially Chinese, have contact to Westerners or Westerners learn the cues.

Asian when you stop and there is food still on the plate. "Is the food OK? To your liking? You want something else."

Westerner: "No it was good, I was just not feeling good today/jet lagged/tired/some other trite excuse."

Asian says "Sorry to hear that" but is really saying "OK, face saved".

Also works if you want to go back to the hotel early, you have had too much to drink, etc.

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sysiphus View Post
From there to here, and here to there, Chinese tourists are everywhere.

Sea-Tac the other day was practically a riot in passport control.
HA! Go to China and see the ones from the country (3rd tier cities) go to 1st Tier cities or Hong Kong for the first time!
The Following User Says Thank You to Potemkin For This Useful Post:
NowVoyager (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 09:48 PM   #4
lisa
Senior Level 1

Thanked 1,391 Times in 528 Posts
Number 1 is down right insulting. Not the request to keep the table clean but the drawing.
As my dh pointed out, most of this isn't etiquette..it's all tourism and economy.

Last edited by lisa; 04-28-2016 at 10:03 PM.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:56 AM   #5
A.T. Hagan

I found this interesting mostly because this last year or so my girls have discovered they like some (Americanized) Japanese food and really like going to "Japanese steakhouses" for the show the chef puts on at the grill tables.

I've never been to Asia, but do like a fairly wide range of Asian food (as it's presented here in the States). I have been encouraging their interests in exploring and, so far as I understand it myself, try to slip in some etiquette tips where I can. I'm still learning this stuff myself so occasionally forget to do or not do something.

Our experience with our part of Florida has been it is a rare diner who asks for chopsticks (hashi), but my girls are learning.

One day I'll be able to finish a bowl of noodles without getting any on my shirt!
lisa (04-29-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 10:14 AM   #6
lisa
Senior Level 1

Thanked 1,391 Times in 528 Posts
Keep trying AT Hagan..you'll figure those chopsticks out soon!

The most actual etiquette rules regarding chopsticks are:

#1 Don't play with them...(sword fighting etc)
#2 Never pass food from one persons chopstick to another. (It's reference to a practice in a funeral ceremony and a big NO NO)
#3 Don't leave your chopsticks sticking up in a bowl of rice...this is done in an offering to the dead so it's not a good thing to do.

Japan is a society with SO many rules.. and the Japanese are so used to rules that they really have trouble in situations where they don't understand the proper way to behave. I think they really think us Gaijins live in chaos most of the time!
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:26 AM   #7
A.T. Hagan

I do pretty well with chopsticks, as do my wife and oldest daughter. The youngest is still learning, but she's getting there.

It's the etiquette rules such as not passing food to one another with our hashi, don't pour shoyu on a bowl of white rice, and so on that I occasionally forget.

As well as remembering that it's OK to pick up the bowl of rice, noodles, whatever to hold it closer to my mouth and eat like that. It goes against life-long practice for this Southern boy! My mama would have smacked me in the head for that!
lisa (04-29-2016)

Tags
bid, burping, etiquette, farting, guide, holidaymakers, japan, loudly, public, releases, stop, talking