Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home

Within Our Home Here we talk about keeping our home and everything inside of it - including our cars and computers -clean, well organized, and well maintained. We also have our Classroom here, for those who Homeschool or extend their childrens education in the home.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:15 PM   #1
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,047 Times in 5,057 Posts
Default Winter 2016-2017 Winter Houseplant Thread

There's no doubt winter is almost here... we're down to about 10 hours of sunlight & the sun is low on the horizon. On heavily clouded days, we sometimes need lights on - task lights at least - in certain rooms. The next strong wind should strip most of the remaining leaves off the trees outside & then we're in for a few months of gray, browns & yuck. We rarely see much snow until close to the end of December.

So my poor houseplants are going to have to get used to me hovering over them for the next 5 months or so as they try to sleep off a long winter in spite of me pawing at them constantly!

I'm down to 8 African violets - one of the 2 I'd passed over to my stepdaughter didn't survive her less than tender ministrations. 5 of the 8 are still in bloom - 1 has been smothered in the most striking white edged in violet flowers since early March & shows no sign of letting up. I really do need it to stop though because I think I have 6-7 different crowns - all of which need to be divided out & potted up on their own. I'll keep a spare, so as to have 2 & give away the rest over the summer oncve they establish.

Early in September, I'd bought 2 mini-phalenopsis orchids with about half their buds blooming. 9 weeks later those same flowers are STILL looking as fresh as ever & the other buds opened. I can only marvel at how long one individual flower can last - they look so delicate & exotic. I must admit, I know nothing about orchids & have slaughtered the several I'd previously bought. This time, I went to a couple of orchid sites & followed their advice to the letter & clearly, it's working. I think I'd been overwatering in the past & now I water it through with filtered water once a week & have it potted up in tiny plastic glasses - for some reason, they do better in plastic. I was closely examining one of the orchids earlier & to my delight spotted 2 small flowering branches coming off the main one; one large enough to already have a few buds. Bonus! That plant at least, should be in bloom all winter.

By jungle of jades is in full winter sleep mode - it will be a bit of water once a month until March but other than that, no care required save for giving them a quarter turn every day or so to keep growth even. My goldfish plant is finally in a pot it likes - it put out strong growth this summer & my dieffenbachia is content as well. My arrowhead plant - that puppy slows down but never stops growing & I have to remind myself to check it for watering a few times a week.

I successfully rooted a mandevilla plant & got 2 more starts... not sure if they're doing to take as this really isn't the best season to try that but, why not give it a go? Our last resident manager planted some largish cordyline, (ti), plants out in the front flowerbed & as they aren't winter hardy here, I got permission to steal them as houseplants. I only need one - they can eventually get massive but 2 is insurance. One is looking pretty bad so by Christmas, I may be down to one.

I have a nice Ming aralia I've had for about 10 years - broke off a small branch at a mall & stuck it in the ground &... it took. SO & I wrestled it into its forever pot about a month ago. Poor thing wasn't happy - 90% of the leaves fell off over the next 2 weeks but I've had that happen before. One out of 3 former leaf joints will by spring, start entire new branches. It was looking a little tall & lanky so while I was at it, I shortened 2 of the 3 stems, again hoping it will branch by spring.

I'm jonesing for a few new plants though - really hoping my 2 favorite grocery stores bring some in before the holidays. I've already got a Christmas cactus - nicely budding out by now so I don't know what I'm looking for - some colour would be nice.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:12 AM   #2
WVDragonlady
Working on it

lol I just grow herbs in the bay window and I took 3 babies from the front porch spider plant so I can replace it next year and hopefully have one or two for in the house. I also have one philodendron
WVDragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:49 PM   #3
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,047 Times in 5,057 Posts
Default It's The Slow Season Now...

Our hours of sunlight now have officially dipped below 9 with 8 hours, 59 minutes between sunrise & sunset... EVERYTHING is starved for natural light. My houseplants have really slowed up now & I'm pretty sure I've heard a few of them snoring!

This is the easy time of year - not much needs to be done to keep most houseplants happy. A quarter turn every day or two to keep them growing evenly & cut way back on the water - no fertilizer save for a few fussy exceptions. My jades in very small pots are watered every 2 weeks & my couple of larger ones - once a month these days.

A dieffenbachia, Ming aralia & the 1 large cordyline that survived being brought indoors only need water every 3-4 weeks. I have 3 hanging plants right now - a goldfish plant that just last week produced one cheery little flower, an arrowhead vine & a ponytail plant - watering once every week or two, lightly does for them.

My Christmas cactus bloomed well this year - early but better than the last few years. My other smaller plants include a burro's tail cactus that has FINALLY decided to get down to the business of growing - think I finally found the right pot, my coleus is holding its colour & my bird's nest form of sansevaria is definitely in hibernation mode. I brought in a lantana late in the summer & to my surprise, it's got flower buds on it - not bad considering it only get s a few hours of direct sun a day - when we see the sun.

I've got 8 African violets left - my SD managed to kill one but the others are doing fine. In fact, 4 of them are still blooming & it looks like I'll have flowers from at least some of them through December & into January.

I'm having fun with orchids right now. The 2 mini phalenopsis orchids I'd bought at the beginning of September are STILL blooming. One finished opening the buds it had when I bought it & to my delight, has put out some extra flowering branches now covered in buds. The other mini is still going strong with the original flowers & also looks to be putting out a side branch.

A month ago, I bought a big one - a nice, dark fuschia colour & it's very happy. All it's buds finally opened & I think the flowering stem tip has started growing again. I was very lucky today. I stopped at the grocery store & tucked in among their poinsettias were 3 orchids. I bought one in a pink/fuschia ppattern I don't have - it's got 5 currently flowering stems & branches & is putting out a few more.

I'd never had luck with orchids before so went looking for advice online. I'm following it & it seems to be working as far as keeping them in flower. I'm a bit nervous for after though. While orchids like being pot bound, all 4 are too pot bound & I'll need to repot them to something a bit bigger once they finish blooming. I've found a store than sells orchid medium & I think I have an idea for the larger plastic pots I need - why not plastic storage containers? They make them in all sizes & the dollar store has a huge selection.

I am thoroughly enjoying fussing over my orchids. Once a week I warm filtered water to room temperature & water the pots through with a tiny amount of weak fertilizer added. They come into the bathroom for a steam treatment when we shower & I've got a mister ready to use once it starts drying out in here. I hope I can keep them alive & doing well. I suppose, now that I know I can keep them flowering, the next 'test' is if I can get new leaves growing & in season, new flower stalks.

I'm not going to expand the types of plants I have. In fact, a few won't be replaced if they don't make it - they're okay but not terribly exciting. But my jades, (playing with bonsai ideas with those), African violets & orchids - I'm turning into a bit of a collector. Thankfully, it isn't expensive, doesn't take up much room & really, no more time than I care to spend.
Feather (12-08-2016)

Tags
houseplant, thread, winter