Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Science Center

Science Center Our science center is equipped to facilitate a variety of general scientific discussions, including physics, environment science, astronomy and technology research.

Old 12-15-2016, 05:20 PM   #1
andy
Senior Level 5

Thanked 1,227 Times in 659 Posts
Default Anti-Aging Trials in 10 Years

Line me up!!!!!

I better get to the gym so I will be in good enough shape to go to the front of the line as a guinea pig

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2...trials-within/
Antropologo (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 06:29 PM   #2
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,047 Times in 5,057 Posts
There will no doubt, be great interest in this. Those in a position to consider this had better also consider how they plan to support themselves during their prolonged lifespan.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:44 PM   #3
dharma
Git it, booger.

Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,049 Posts
Some steps have already been taken, e.g,, metformin as an AMPK activator, nicotinamide riboside/pterostilbene, or are on the horizon, e.g., salicylamine, etc.

I think there is considerable latent demand for some sort of solution (remember the vitamin E fad?), but blind alleys are pretty much inevitable (remember the vitamin E fad?), and disappointment is going to lead to disillusionment with pretty much every intervention, legitimate or not (remember the vitamin E fad?).

That said, survive another twenty years, and I think you will find things to be very interesting. That meaningful aging intervention is roughly temporally coincident in my opinion with strong AI and significant nano-material control I find beyond interesting, to somewhere between fascinating and terrifying.
dharma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dharma For This Useful Post:
A.T. Hagan (12-15-2016), rryan (12-15-2016), Sonny (12-16-2016), Ter (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 06:50 PM   #4
dharma
Git it, booger.

Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post
There will no doubt, be great interest in this. Those in a position to consider this had better also consider how they plan to support themselves during their prolonged lifespan.
I was reading an article on quibbles with such research, and one of the objections to longer life was from a (very cynical!) ethicist, who said, basically, if you haven't got it right in the last forty years, what difference do you think another forty years will make?

But I say, I've spent the last forty years learning; I guarantee the next forty will be absolutely enthralling. Put your mind in a twenty year old body; how much do you think you could accomplish?
dharma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dharma For This Useful Post:
Feather (12-15-2016), rb. (12-15-2016), rryan (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 07:08 PM   #5
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,047 Times in 5,057 Posts
A TON! Starting with working my way through school for an education I'd properly appreciate this time around.
A.T. Hagan (12-15-2016), Feather (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 10:41 PM   #6
Antropologo
Skeptically Inquisitive

Thanked 1,043 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post
If you can afford the likely price point of these future miracle drugs, then money is probably one of the least of your concerns.
Antropologo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:44 PM   #7
Ter
Voluntary Exile

Thanked 1,955 Times in 687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropologo View Post
If you can afford the likely price point of these future miracle drugs, then money is probably one of the least of your concerns.
Some of those meds are very cheap, like metformin.
My doctor doesn't let me take it as my diabetes med although my creatin levels are still within range
Ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:36 AM   #8
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,799 Times in 1,529 Posts
I wonder if it's the metformin that's kept me looking younger than my friends.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:36 AM   #9
A.T. Hagan
Your "Crazy Town" reporter

Thanked 7,119 Times in 3,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharma View Post
That said, survive another twenty years, and I think you will find things to be very interesting. That meaningful aging intervention is roughly temporally coincident in my opinion with strong AI and significant nano-material control I find beyond interesting, to somewhere between fascinating and terrifying.
This.

It may not come out that way, but the potential for the not-so-distant future (20-50 years) to go seriously sideways weird is high in my opinion. We are approaching one of those heterodyne moments in human events where several trends will interact with each other in ways that make it extremely difficult to see what life on the other side will be like.

To what Dharma mentioned above add in our rapidly changing communications technologies. Actual reality and consensual realities are already starting to merge and it's early days yet.
dharma (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 01:29 PM   #10
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,805 Times in 2,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropologo View Post
Yes, but someone always makes a copy or it goes generic.

My guess if the magic anti-aging pill/regime is ever invented, government will just pay the developing company. (Or some governments will just confiscate it.)

Kind of happened with AIDS drugs. The triple therapy drugs just got copied, companies complained, but in reality, no government went after the counterfeiters too hard.

Tags
antiaging, trials, years