Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Op/Ed

Op/Ed Opinions and Editorials by members of TBM.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2017, 01:52 PM   #1
Oric
El Turco
 
Oric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Posts: 8,291
Thanks: 836
Thanked 2,217 Times in 980 Posts
Default North Korea is US's best ally

Yes, we have been to the Korean war together and they were backed by the Chinese to control the Korean peninsula.

65 years later, things have changed a lot. The S.Koreans have built themselves into a competitive high tech Industry, Samsung beating Apple globally, Korean cars are everywhere, left alone they are a deal breaker for any US high tech company in the world. BUT, they have a scary brother, North Korea, which can wipe the glory of SK at any moment, SK needs US forces, the scary NK even have missiles that cn hit Japan and Allah forbid USA ! So US has to keep soldiers and bases and lots of warships near Korea, who is a neighbour of CHINA !

I wonder, in a world where Kaddafis, Saddams are shot first and trialed later, no solution has been found for the Jong family and they are so famous and take so much airtime in your media.

One thinks deeply.
Oric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:05 PM   #2
Sysiphus
Senior Level 6
 
Sysiphus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 8,566
Thanks: 708
Thanked 1,885 Times in 1,079 Posts
I think because they were not under the protection of China. Note we have not taken out Assad, who is protected by the Russians. Do you doubt we could have done so, if we decided to? There is also the issue that any attack on NK would result in massive casualties in SK. That was not the case with Libya or Iraq. FWIW, I think attacking Iraq and Libya were stupid decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oric View Post
Yes, we have been to the Korean war together and they were backed by the Chinese to control the Korean peninsula.

65 years later, things have changed a lot. The S.Koreans have built themselves into a competitive high tech Industry, Samsung beating Apple globally, Korean cars are everywhere, left alone they are a deal breaker for any US high tech company in the world. BUT, they have a scary brother, North Korea, which can wipe the glory of SK at any moment, SK needs US forces, the scary NK even have missiles that cn hit Japan and Allah forbid USA ! So US has to keep soldiers and bases and lots of warships near Korea, who is a neighbour of CHINA !

I wonder, in a world where Kaddafis, Saddams are shot first and trialed later, no solution has been found for the Jong family and they are so famous and take so much airtime in your media.

One thinks deeply.
__________________
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Sysiphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:12 PM   #3
Oric
El Turco
 
Oric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Posts: 8,291
Thanks: 836
Thanked 2,217 Times in 980 Posts
Yes, but the existence of North Korea is more useful than their demise. Especially when your guns point at China.
Oric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:31 PM   #4
Ross
Lifetime Member
 
Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 14,879
Thanks: 5,711
Thanked 6,074 Times in 2,723 Posts
Quote:
Yes, but the existence of North Korea is more useful than their demise. Especially when your guns point at China.
Hey , why not ignore the obvious and construct a devious explanation that
suits your bias

So which is more likely , that the US , South Korea and Japan worry
about the brutal corrupt WMD armed thug running NK or that it is
all a devious plot to control competition and threaten China ?

Oh wait , the fact that he continually threatens war , detonates nukes
, builds missiles , has nerve gas and periodically indulges in acts of
violence is just a conspiracy to help maintain nefarious US imperialist
hegemony . Of course it is , how did you ever manage to so brilliantly
penetrated to the curtain of deceit .

..
__________________
All paper is a short position on gold . “Gold is money. Everything else is credit.”

“If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don’t believe in it at all.” ( Noam Chomsky )

‘you can judge a man’s spirit by the amount of truth he can tolerate.’ .... Nietzsche
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:47 PM   #5
Oric
El Turco
 
Oric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Posts: 8,291
Thanks: 836
Thanked 2,217 Times in 980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Of course it is , how did you ever manage to so brilliantly
penetrated to the curtain of deceit .

..
It is not that hard Ross, The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. and you happily announce that there is no evil on your side

Saddam was your tool, until he was no longer necessary
Kim is not exactly your tool, but you are doing Aikido, using him as a leverage against China and SK. He is no threat to United States, despite the nerve gas and nukes we read too many times on the news. You have made the Soviets bow down to your Star Wars and ABM systems, can't the US shoot down a single NK ICBM ?
Oric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:27 AM   #6
Sysiphus
Senior Level 6
 
Sysiphus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 8,566
Thanks: 708
Thanked 1,885 Times in 1,079 Posts
The Korean War ended in a stalemate, primarily because everyone concluded that if either side got the upper hand, the nukes would come out. That was the basis of both sides' thinking until at least the end of the Cold War. In the post-Cold War period it has been more about China not wanting to have a land border with a hostile country (SK). The US, SK and Japan know full well that if they invade NK, all hell will break loose. China has the largest land army in the world, and NK is no slouch either. Not going to happen.

Comparing this to the situation on the ground in Iraq or Libya is ridiculous. You are talking about orders of magnitude more firepower involved. I don't think anything short of nukes could overcome a land defense by NK and China on the Korean Peninsula. It would be a disaster.
__________________
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Last edited by Sysiphus; 02-26-2017 at 03:33 AM.
Sysiphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:38 AM   #7
Ross
Lifetime Member
 
Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 14,879
Thanks: 5,711
Thanked 6,074 Times in 2,723 Posts
Sysiphus said ..
Quote:
I don't think anything short of nukes could overcome a land defense by NK and China on the Korean Peninsula. It would be a disaster.
I think you are quite mistaken , not that the US is about to try .

Who needs to fight them anyway . The place must be ripe for revolution .
Just drop leaflets telling the peasants and soldiers to kill anybody
seen wearing an officers uniform after April fools day .

..
__________________
All paper is a short position on gold . “Gold is money. Everything else is credit.”

“If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don’t believe in it at all.” ( Noam Chomsky )

‘you can judge a man’s spirit by the amount of truth he can tolerate.’ .... Nietzsche
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ally, korea, north

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.