Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Op/Ed

Op/Ed Opinions and Editorials by members of TBM.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:10 PM   #1
andy
Senior Level 5

Thanked 1,227 Times in 659 Posts
Exclamation EU Talks War with US!!!

The EU is stepping on it's D**K. If they think they can break apart the USA(!!!!), they better try to remember a thing or two about WWII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F^^&&ckers better rethink their positions and figure out what language they want to speak before talking trash with us!!!!!!!

We are getting closer to WWIII, and this puts the icing on the friggen cake for Putin!!! He now has full power to proceed with advancement into Europe.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politi...Brexit-support
Old 03-30-2017, 02:18 PM   #2
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,860 Times in 2,181 Posts
I'm 100% down with expelling Ohio. They can have it.
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:45 PM   #3
A.T. Hagan
Your "Crazy Town" reporter

Thanked 7,120 Times in 3,021 Posts
Nah, Ohio is more or less OK. How about the various Pipple's Republics? You know, Massachusetts, New Jersey, California...
Old 03-30-2017, 02:51 PM   #4
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,860 Times in 2,181 Posts
You've never spent a weekend with a large group of 4Hers from Ohio then. If I ever hear O-HI-O chant again, I may not be able to control myself.
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:27 PM   #5
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 5,275 Times in 2,076 Posts
Texas and OHIO?!?! Why Ohio, ffs? Was I to attempt to do that, I'd start with California.
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:39 PM   #6
Sysiphus
Senior Level 6

Thanked 1,885 Times in 1,079 Posts
I assume he was joking, but it is still a stupid thing for someone in his position to say. The EU has only itself to blame, and this process (and the Brexit vote) began long before Trump was in office. Much of what the EU was designed to do has become increasingly irrelevant, and that has nothing to do with Trump or any other politician. The EU, acutely aware of that fact, has increasingly turned to "nanny-state" micromanagement, with a vast array of artery-clogging and misguided regulations.

In a world which will never have more real jobs (not "make-work" jobs) than it did in the mid-20th century, the stakes have become very high. Countries have to look out for themselves, and these broad trade agreements based on outdated economic concepts like Ricardo's "comparative advantage" will be completely irrelevant in 10 or 20 years.

Tariffs, which are the bread and butter of trade treaties, are all based on dealing with different labor costs (whether direct in terms of wages, or indirect in terms of labor regulations, safety standards and environmental regulations) in different countries. But, who cares about eliminating steel tariffs when 10 workers can run an entire steel factory, 5 of whom could be working from home with internet connections? Within a relatively short time frame, labor costs for producing most industrial and agricultural products and extracting resources like timber and ore, will be essentially zero. Labor costs for transportation will be near zero. Even labor costs for services will be dramatically lower.

What do countries do then? I don't know, but a bunch of feel-good trade agreements aren't going to do squat to help them. In a world where no country really has a labor cost advantage over other countries, it really just becomes a question of who can best implement technology. The trade treaties are next to useless when it comes to that. Among other things, they don't really offer a lot of protection in terms of IP or technology transfer.

Last edited by Sysiphus; 03-30-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Sysiphus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sysiphus For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (03-31-2017), NowVoyager (03-30-2017), Sonny (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 05:45 PM   #7
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Alanna View Post
Texas and OHIO?!?! Why Ohio, ffs? Was I to attempt to do that, I'd start with California.
I'm thinking Texas and Ohio because they're the only two state names he knows.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:46 PM   #8
Dietrich
Niche player

Probably. But the irony is that the state most likely to secede probly is texas
Dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:16 PM   #9
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 5,275 Times in 2,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietrich View Post
Probably. But the irony is that the state most likely to secede probly is texas
I was taught, umpty-many years ago un Texas, that one of the provisos when Texas joined the Union was that it retained the right to secede. Obviously the Union, in The Late Unpleasantness in the 1860's, said "No, you can't do that after all." But what if that was because Texas then joined the Confederacy? What if it secedes to go back to being the Republic of Texas?
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:57 AM   #10
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,806 Times in 2,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Alanna View Post
I was taught, umpty-many years ago un Texas, that one of the provisos when Texas joined the Union was that it retained the right to secede. Obviously the Union, in The Late Unpleasantness in the 1860's, said "No, you can't do that after all." But what if that was because Texas then joined the Confederacy? What if it secedes to go back to being the Republic of Texas?
The looters will never let that happen.

As for the original post the jingoists need to calm TF down.

This was nothing more than the old "tell a joke during a presentation to lighten the mood" trick, mangled by a formal European, mangled more by simultaneous translations, taken out of context and stoked by the press for clicks and eyeballs.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Potemkin For This Useful Post:
Mousehound (03-31-2017), NowVoyager (03-31-2017), Sonny (03-31-2017)

Tags
talks, war