Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Preparedness

Preparedness Join us to discuss all aspects of preparedness.

Old 05-12-2017, 03:59 PM   #1
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,790 Times in 2,865 Posts
Default Mainstream retort packaged foods

Has everyone been seeing the emerging retort packaged foods in the larger grocery store?

Shredded beef, meatballs, shredded chicken, refried beans. I have seen some rice out there. Of course Starkist has their tuna in pouches for a while

The meats are in retort packages very close to MRE entrees. Competitively priced and with some 18months-2 year "Best By Dates". I am sure they would last longer than that.

I have also been seeing freeze dried cord and peas marketed as healthy snacks. On the expensive side but tastes very good. I rehydrated the corn and it worked just like any other FD veg.

The meats are going into rotation with canned meats/tuna plus if I want to go walkabout with the mates, or go on a car trip, I don't get stares like you do with MRE OD retorts. Nothing like making it to a non-Western hotel, hungry, no room service. These commercial retorts just go in the suitcase with MRE spoon and you go to bed satisfied. (And I would bet they would make it BACK into the US since they were made in the US or have the US agricultural inspection seal on them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Potemkin For This Useful Post:
A.T. Hagan (05-15-2017), Wojapi (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 04:43 PM   #2
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,690 Times in 4,659 Posts
I didn't notice because I rarely venture out of dairy and produce... but I did spot a package of dehydrated refried beans that reconstitutes with hot water. I'll have to venture deep into the aisles and look for more items. Thanks for the heads up!
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:27 PM   #3
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,050 Posts
Trader Joes has a good selection of freeze dried fruit. They are less expensive than the grocery store and better quality. I just rotated out some packages of banana slices from the winter kit I had stuffed in the back of my vehicle. There was no breakage or dust in the bottom.

Tags
foods, mainstream, packaged, retort