Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Alternative and Survival Medicine > Herbarium

Herbarium A place for discussing alternative medicine in all its forms.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:59 AM   #1
dreamseeer
Member Level 5

Location: Between Ajijic and Chapala on the beautiful Lake Chapala
Default Thieves Oil, Thieves Vinager and Diffusers

I used the search feature but didn't find anything on the subject but heck, I'm sure there has to be something in this vast knowledge base here about it........I just can't find it.

So.......if ya'll don't want to rehash this again would someone please direct me to the linky link? Thankeee.

Otherwise and if not then could we discuss it?

I ran aground yesterday trying to find an electric diffuser that I could put my oils in.

Isn't it interesting that when whatever force is out there decides what we should wear, eat, have, use ...yada, yada, yada then that is all that becomes available and in mighty short order too

I spent the afternoon yesterday hunting for diffusers in places both where one might think to find them and some places surely not........but here is what I found:

There are NONE out there except the ones that are made specifically for the insert fragrances .......on the order of room fresheners.

I spent a good amount of time online hunting also......target, walmart, using a search engine and on the search engine there were some links. Unfortunately most of the links redirect to Young Living website. Now, I love their stuff.......I just can't afford it.

Young Living does have a fabulous ultrasonic diffuser but I nearly choked when I saw the price ......... $111.00 and some change. Fancy, dancy and all that stuff just not within my budget.

So............if you good folks out there can direct me to a source for an electric diffuser I would much appreciate it.

P.S. I have also been checking craigslist daily and nother there either.
dreamseeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:12 AM   #2
dreamseeer
Member Level 5

Does anyone know anything about Thieves Oil?.......or Thieves vinager?

I hear that it was used by grave robbers during the time of the plague and they did not contract the plague.

I have been reading online about the oil and vinager but as far as I can determine........it is only good against "bacteria" and I saw nothing regarding viruses.

There appears to be Thieves Oil available online (also the links again redirect to Young Living and once again)...........very pricey.

Here is a link to "Thieves Oil Recipes" (a registered trademark of Young Living)
http://www.quantumbalancing.com/news/thieves_oil.htm
Old 05-24-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
dreamseeer
Member Level 5

http://www.thieves-oil.com/

$41.00 for a 15ml bottle for customer

$36.00 same size for a preferred customer

$31.00 same size for wholesale.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:36 AM   #4
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 4,314 Times in 1,775 Posts
From Dreamseeers link above:

http://www.quantumbalancing.com/news/thieves_oil.htm

Thieves Oil Recipes

Thieves Oil comes from research about four thieves during the 15th-century plague who used cloves, rosemary, and other aromatics to protect themselves while robbing plague victims.

How to use: Diffuse for short periods of time (1/2 hour or less) in the work or home environment. Apply to the bottom of the feet or dilute with a Massage Oil Base for a stimulating massage under the arms and on the chest at the base of the neck. Common Ingredients: Clove (Syzygium aromaticum), lemon (Citrus limon), cinnamon (Cinnamomum verum), Eucalyptus radiata, and rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis).

Here are two recipes for Thieves Oil. One from Karen another from Debbie.

Thieves Oil recipes:

Equal amounts of eucalyptus, rosemary, cinnamon, clove and lemon. Mix with base of olive oil. I usually put a tablespoon of each in a 2 oz. bottle and then fill the rest with olive oil. you can make a larger batch in a quart jar following the same proportion method.
Same ingredients, but measured out in different strength's. Clove Bud Oil 200 drops, Lemon Oil 175 drops, Cinnamon Oil 100 drops, Eucalyptus Oil 75 drops, Rosemary 50 drops.
Thieves Oil Courtesy of Caroline Rogers founder of Nutrition Naturally and co-owner of The Tidewater Companion- A Holistic Health Directory and Resource Guide!

SUGGESTIONS FOR COLDS: According to the People's Desk Reference For Essential Oils, (The PDR) the following single oils are suggested: lavender, lemon, marjoram, frankincense, eucalyptus, melaleuca and rosemary. Young Living produces quality blends; recommended formulas include: Thieves, R.C., Di-Tone or Purification. Also suggested is a raindrop therapy treatment--see massage page for information.

THIEVES: Clove * Lemon * Cinnamon * Eucalyptus * Rosemary * An Essential Oil blend formulated by Gary Young, N.D.,owner of Young Living Essential Oils, Payson, Utah.

REMEMBER: The stimulating aroma of cinnamon or cloves, but if you touched your lips with it, it could cause irritation.... or the fresh aroma of lemon and sipping a hot fresh squeezed lemon drink with honey if you had a cold or sore throat... and Vick's Vapor Rub....the menthol aroma...your Mom would rub it on your chest to help you breathe easier at night in times of congestion....the pungent rosemary herb in cooking...

Aromas evoke memories, and memories lead to family recipes in times of healing for use in colds, flu., congestion, headaches, body aches etc. The Thieves blend is such a recipe, historically recorded in the era during the plague. History records that the perfumers seemed to have an immunity against the plague.

Here is one story: The Four Thieves Vinegar. Perfumers by day, robbers by night. Four men made a concoction of herbs and essential oils in a base of vinegar and would douse their body with this before they went our plundering! They had a pretty good track record of stealing riches until the King found out and captured them, forcing them to give up their secret weapon against the plague. The herbal ingredients were wormwood, meadowsweet, juniper berries, rosemary, camphor, sage, cinnamon and cloves in a base of white wine vinegar.

PRESENT DAY THIEVES: The essential oils contained within this formula have been noted for anti-bacterial, anti-viral, antiseptic and anti-catarrhyal properties while stimulating the immune system, circulation and the respiratory system. According to research at Weber State University, Thieves was found to have a 99% kill rate against airborne bacteria when diffused.

MY EXPERIENCE: Due to the cinnamon and clove contained, one must be cautious--it may cause irritation if improperly used. Fair skinned, blue-eyed individuals, redheads and those who tend to sunburn easily need to heed and dilute Thieves in a carrier oil (such as almond ) before applying to the skin. I have used 1-2 drops of Thieves on the bottom of my feet and also at the nape of the neck. Other places could be under the arms,and on the chest. I do not suggest using this in a bath or in a sauna! Diffuse for only short periods of time--20 minutes or less at work or at home. I used a lot of Thieves during January and February and felt the results were positive.

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:39 AM   #5
Susan4
4ster

I found an electric one a few years ago at one of the mall type liquid soap places... Bathy Schmelly Body Something or some sucha place. I hate their other products...basically overscented dish soap, but at the time they carried a line of fake aromatherapy stuff and had the diffusers, might be worth a shot.
Susan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:52 AM   #6
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

http://www.diffuserworld.com/

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/aro...user.htmlphone

http://www.naturesgift.com/aromatherapyaccessories.htm

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
Old 05-24-2009, 10:21 AM   #7
dreamseeer
Member Level 5

Thanks for the links Blue Gecko!
Old 05-24-2009, 10:29 AM   #8
dreamseeer
Member Level 5

I read the recipes yesterday and then went to the local "Good Nutrition" store here and got all of the oils by their special names: verum, radiata, etc.

The oils were not costly at all.

I think the lowest price I have seen for the ultrasonic diffuser is around $65.00 + shipping.

I saw them on ebay too.

In my reading online on the subject I read somewhere (and then promptly forgot where) that this oil should only be diffused for 30minutes at a time.

Why would that be?

over what period of time?

My other big questions are this:

How would this diffusion effect cats?............dogs??????

Are there any known medical conditions of humans that inhaling concentrations of the oils cause a disturbance in their condition??

what conditions??

For those of you with knowledge would you share your opinions?

Between Thieves Oil, Elderberry tinctures, Collodial Silver in nanoparticle and Master Flu Tonic I think we are going to be as covered in defense as we can be using home remedies.

What say you?
Old 05-24-2009, 11:49 AM   #9
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

I say don't forget the 20 drop spritz!

http://thisbluemarble.com/showthread.php?t=9649

Its quite similar to Thieves Oil but without the cinnamon and cloves.

Personally, I find cinnamon oil a little irritating and can get contact dermatitis from it.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:36 PM   #10
Susan4
4ster

It's my understanding that cats are rather sensitive to essential oils so I wouldn't overexpose the critter to breathing it.
Susan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 02:39 PM   #11
dreamseeer
Member Level 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue gecko View Post
I say don't forget the 20 drop spritz!

http://thisbluemarble.com/showthread.php?t=9649

Its quite similar to Thieves Oil but without the cinnamon and cloves.

Personally, I find cinnamon oil a little irritating and can get contact dermatitis from it.
I've been sold on the 20 drop spritz ever since you introduced me to it......and love the stuff.......got a liter in the house and a spray bottle in my purse at all times.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:41 PM   #12
dreamseeer
Member Level 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan4 View Post
It's my understanding that cats are rather sensitive to essential oils so I wouldn't overexpose the critter to breathing it.
Yeah, that kind crimps things up a bit.........you know,,,, makes a wrinkle in plans..

I have been putting just oil of oregano in the warm mist humidifier for several years and kitty does okay with that but it might be a different story with different oils and especially a combo of them.

Darn,,,,,,cats are regularly sensitive it seems to things people-ish.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:59 PM   #13
Old Hawk
Elderest

I couldn't figure out what you were talking about till I looked up Blue Gecko's links. Had forgotten all about the vaporizers we used years ago and we really liked the ultrasonic ones.

What a good idea! 20 drop spritz!

All we ever did was add Vick's to the water back then. I'll be watching here for recommendations on specific models.

OH
Old 05-24-2009, 05:42 PM   #14
dreamseeer
Member Level 5

Okie Dokie.........here ya go with pictures

This one is from the link BG provided.

http://www.diffuserworld.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Diffusers - Aroma-sonic.jpg (19.8 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by dreamseeer; 05-24-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:12 PM   #15
Old Hawk
Elderest

OK Dreamseeer,

Howdja get it an try it out so fast?

OH
Old 05-24-2009, 09:46 PM   #16
dreamseeer
Member Level 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hawk View Post
OK Dreamseeer,

Howdja get it an try it out so fast?

OH
Ha ha.........ya got such a funny sense of humor.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:36 AM   #17
ilovedogs

I found one on ebay that looks like this:http://www.kvvet.com/KVVet/productr....e&URLCheck= 1
I found it on ebay for 1/2 the price. The only problem with it is that it covers a very small area and runs out of water after a few hours so it won't last all night. My son likes using a thieves blend with extra eucalyptus to help with his allergies at night. We also have a thieves hand spray and I have blended it with a carrier oil for personal use.

BTW: I'm new here and I guess I should say "hi"!!

B
ilovedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:43 AM   #18
Old Hawk
Elderest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovedogs View Post

BTW: I'm new here and I guess I should say "hi"!!

B
Hi ilovedogs, welcome to the Marble.. You might want to say Hi in the Greetings and Introductions section.

I had forgotton about this thread so thanks for bringing it to life again. Way back when we tried the the ultrasonic units they worked very well but died if the water went dry. Inevitably this would happen.

I hope the units made now have some sort of safety to avoid this.

I think an ideal unit would cover one room for at least 8 hours and turn itself off if the water were used up.

Please post if you find somthing good.

OH
Old 10-12-2009, 10:20 AM   #19
ilovedogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hawk View Post
Hi ilovedogs, welcome to the Marble.. You might want to say Hi in the Greetings and Introductions section.

I had forgotton about this thread so thanks for bringing it to life again. Way back when we tried the the ultrasonic units they worked very well but died if the water went dry. Inevitably this would happen.

I hope the units made now have some sort of safety to avoid this.

I think an ideal unit would cover one room for at least 8 hours and turn itself off if the water were used up.

Please post if you find somthing good.

OH
The unit does turn off when it runs out of water. I think it runs for about 3-4 hours before running completely out and it is an ultrasonic so it doesn't heat the oils. I also have a shell diffuser that has a small metal plate where you place the oils and they are gently heated. There are many other ways to diffuse oils and some are just as simple as putting a few drops of eucalyptus on a tissue and placing it under your pillow to assist night time breathing.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:55 AM   #20
ilovedogs

Forgot to add that the reason I got turned on to the thieves is b/c a friend of mine from the police department mentioned it. He got a preparedness sheet for the flu in case of a flu emergency and one of the supplies that it told the officers to have on hand was thieves oil. He said the sheet came from the feds, not from the local police department, too. Well, whether it's true or not, it got me thinking that I should look into essential oils and their capabilities and history.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:00 PM   #21
Cassie

Interesting that is would come from the feds. You don't really hear anything about it unless you are really looking into alternative treatments for the flu. I'm using it now on my daughter's feet for what is a probable but not tested swine flu. That and elderberry, we'll see how it goes.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:14 PM   #22
momcare

Default vinegar of the four thieves

bulkherbstore.com used to have an article, recipe, and dried herb mix for this. You may, of course, mix your own. It is said that you would not get plague if you wore cloth, which had been soaked in this mixture, wrapped around your face, covering your nose.

Tags
diffusers, oil, thieves, vinegar