Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic > Flu Speculation

Flu Speculation Flu Speculation A place for "off the wall" discussions and speculation about events that "may" be related to influenza ranging from news on outbreaks that might be flu but which aren't confirmed to really OTB theories related to flu.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:23 PM   #1
caonacl
the truth is precious

Exclamation Pig Watch

Japanese Encephalitis outbreak feared in Uttarakhand
22 Sep, 2008, 1637 hrs IST, ANI

HALDWANI: Doctors of Haldwani district in Uttarakhand fear an outbreak of the much-dreaded Japanese Encephalitis fever, as five patients complaining about fever have been admitted in a local hospital.
The medical officials have sent few blood samples of the infected patients to National Institute of Communicable diseases in New Delhi for examination.

The officials are eagerly awaiting the results so that they can ensure proper immunization before the disease grips the state.

"Few blood samples of the patients have been sent to Delhi under which three patients are from medical division and two are from forest division. After their reports come then only we will be in a state to say whether they are suffering from Japanese Encephalitis or not," said Balbir Chabbra, Medical Superintendent, Sushila Tiwari memorial forest hospital, Haldwani.
The symptoms of Japanese Encephalitis virus are seemingly mild, but the disease can cause meningitis and inflammation of the heart in newborn babies.

India's worst encephalitis outbreak in 2005 claimed over 1500 lives.
According to doctors, the death rate due to Japanese Encephalitis is 28-56 percent.

The deadly Japanese Encephalitis fever is caused by a virus found in pigs and wild birds and transferred to humans by mosquito bite. It affects the brain and causes headaches, convulsions, high fever and respiratory distress.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/3514000.cms
caonacl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:34 PM   #2
caonacl
the truth is precious

Bad vaccines risk encephalitis epidemic in India

By BISWAJEET BANERJEE – 5 days ago
LUCKNOW, India (AP) — India's government sent thousands of ineffective vaccines to a northern Indian state, halting a planned immunization drive against a deadly outbreak of Japanese encephalitis that has killed more than 200 children since June, officials said Wednesday.

The mistake — compounding delays in starting the immunizations — raises chances that hundreds more children could die of the disease this year, health officials warned.

North India's impoverished Uttar Pradesh state suffers from recurring annual outbreaks of the mosquito-borne disease, which causes high fevers and vomiting — and sometimes comas and death. It is particularly deadly among children.
Japanese encephalitis can be prevented by a vaccine, but stocks sent by the federal government to the state showed in testing that they were "unfit for human use," state Health Minister Anant Kumar Mishra told The Associated Press in Lucknow, the state capital.

"Over 1,000 people have been affected with encephalitis, and we are not sure when the fresh stock of vaccines will arrive," Mishra said. "In the absence of vaccine we cannot start the vaccination drive."

In 2005, more than 1,500 children were killed by the disease, but the numbers dropped sharply after the government started an annual vaccination drive in 2006.
Last year, about 400 children were killed by Japanese encephalitis in Uttar Pradesh. Officials had hoped to keep the death toll relatively low this year.

Uttar Pradesh's director general of health, Ishwar Sharan Srivastava, said the state had asked for the vaccines earlier — in time for the monsoon season's start in June — but only received them last week. He said they needed up to 1 million vaccines.
And Mishra said that of the 460,000 vaccines received, many had indicators that they had lost their potency. Officials from the federal Health Ministry said it was not immediately clear what happened.

"It is hard to tell as how these vaccines got spoiled. The exact reason could be ascertained only after tests," said Dr. Jagdish Chandra, a Health Ministry expert sent to investigate.

At least 234 children, all under 15 years, have died of the disease since June this year, and the death toll is likely to rise without vaccinations, Mishra said.
Encephalitis usually spreads in eastern parts of Uttar Pradesh during and after the June-to-September monsoon season, when pools of stagnant water provide breeding grounds for mosquitoes.

The mosquitoes transmit the virus from pigs and birds to humans. Since most infected people never develop symptoms, many adults are immune from earlier exposure — leaving young children most vulnerable.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g...GAeJQD938D3MG0
Old 09-24-2008, 08:56 AM   #3
caonacl
the truth is precious

Could this ban be related to post above?
Quote:
India Bans Imports of Livestock, Products to Check Bird Flu

By Thomas Kutty Abraham
Sept. 24 (Bloomberg) -- India today banned imports of some livestock and their products from nations affected by the avian flu to prevent a fresh outbreak of the deadly virus, the commerce ministry said.
Purchases of domestic and wild birds other than chicken, unprocessed meat and meat products from avian species from all countries are banned with immediate effect, the ministry said in a notice on its Web site.

India also halted imports of live chicken, captive birds, turkey, ducks, eggs and live pigs from countries that have reported avian flu. The curbs will be in force until further orders, the ministry said.

Outbreaks of lethal avian flu have spread from birds to humans in 15 countries, mostly in Asia, and are ``not expected to diminish significantly in the short term,'' according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Web site.

The H5N1 flu strain is known to have infected 385 people in 15 nations since 2003, according to the World health Organization. India killed millions of fowl in the past three years following outbreak of the avian flu.
To contact the reporter on this story: Thomas Kutty Abraham in Mumbai at [email protected]

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...mQ&refer=india
Old 09-25-2008, 12:06 AM   #4
Malcolm
Senior Level 3

Horses in Australia are suddenly getting sick also.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...tion=australia
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:41 PM   #5
Kassy
Eurothrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by caonacl View Post
Could this ban be related to post above?
Probably not. Japanese encephalitis is a recurring problem in Uttar Padesh.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:45 AM   #6
caonacl
the truth is precious

Default Baby Milk, Melamine, Poisoned Rice, Dead Pigs?

Behind the Milk Scare, A Frightening Silence
Sunday, September 28, 2008; Page

I need to write down slowly how I feel about the Baby Milk Powder Scandal. How horrible it is that more than 10,000 babies have been hospitalized and many more harmed by milk powder laced with melamine.

What can I say? What can we say? Am I waiting for other people to say what has not been said? Looking around, I find that many friends are as trapped in silence as I am. They are also tormented by speechlessness.
Are we too shocked to speak? Or have we already said what we should have said? Or is it because we can't find any words to respond to such a cruel reality? . . .

I have actually encountered similar situations many times. I want to tell you something terrible that I'd heard about but didn't do anything about. Whenever I think about it, I feel that I've participated in concealing something horrible.

It was during the spring festival of 2005. I met a cousin who lives in the countryside. She told me that the rice they grew that year was not edible because a deadly pesticide had been applied to the plants. Some pigs died after eating the chaff from the rice. So the farmers bought rice from elsewhere to eat -- and they sold the poisonous rice they grew to people in Shanghai.

My cousin didn't say whether her own pigs had been poisoned. She has a limited education and doesn't know much of the world outside her village. I am not sure whether she got it right when she said that the poisonous rice had been sold to Shanghai. But one thing was known for sure: the farmers bought rice to eat, and secretly sold their contaminated rice to others. And it's something that farmers around the area all knew about.
What could I do after I heard something like this? Where could I go to report the problem? I can't think of any official in this vast country who would patiently listen to me and try to address the problem. Most officials would probably regard me as insane if I went to talk to them.

They would glance at me arrogantly from behind their desks. I don't think I could stand the humiliation for even a few minutes. Why should I seek this disgrace?

"There are all kinds of things like this happening in the country. There's nothing I can do about it," I said to myself, trying to appease my conscience.

How pitiful I am. I already know that my effort will be useless even before I take any action. Is there a devil who lives in our hearts and sneers at our actions all the time? His mission is to deprive us of the ability to respond, to smother our enthusiasm, and to paralyze our will to take action. I am caught in the same situation as my imaginary, impassive official. Both of us are controlled by a curse and have lost the ability to take appropriate action . . .

However, my humanity has been hurt. The damage is immeasurable. Trapped in this kind of silence and not able to do anything about it, I feel bad about myself. I almost feel that I've become a pile of [dung], or a slave who only knows work but not how to speak. I chat and joke with people around me, but I am not able to talk about the biggest bewilderment on my mind.

To speak, or not to speak, this is the question. This is a question that is hard for our judgment. But what we've lost is the ability to make basic moral judgment.
-- Cui Weiping

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...092603451.html
Old 09-29-2008, 08:50 PM   #7
caonacl
the truth is precious

Sketchy

Man found dead with pigs

SHAH ALAM: The body of an unidentified man was found in a drain in Jalan Kerjasama, Glenmarie, here, yesterday near the carcasses of three pigs.

A motorcyclist, who wished to be known only as Kava, first spotted the animals at 6.30pm.

"I suspected something amiss. Although I continued riding, I kept an eye out and soon spotted a hand sticking out from the drain."

Kava alerted police who arrived to find the dead man clad in a white shirt and jeans. A handphone was also found nearby.

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Wednesday/National/2339700/Article/index_html
Old 10-05-2008, 08:17 AM   #8
caonacl
the truth is precious

Pig workers get 'infection of the heart'

Two piggery workers have survived a potentially-deadly disease of the heart valves after contracting a bug from animals bound for the abattoir.

Doctors at Canberra Hospital have treated a 46-year-old woman and a 58-year-old man, both from NSW, for fevers, sweating and severe weight loss caused by endocarditis, a serious condition where bacteria settle on the valves of the heart and spread infection throughout the body. The woman required a heart valve replacement to survive.

The bacterium, called Streptococcus suis, is common in pigs and can be caught by humans through contact with live or dead pigs, though the exact mechanism for transmission is unknown.

It has caused large-scale death among humans, most recently in 2005 when 215 Chinese butchers and meat processors became infected, killing more than half.
Only two cases have been reported in Australia, the first in 1993 and a second in April last year, when a 41-year-old Melbourne meat processor developed toxic shock syndrome from the bug.

Canberra Hospital infectious diseases physician Dr Karina Kennedy said with four reported cases, the strain is emerging as a serious hazard for Australian piggery workers.

"These cases show that it is an occupational hazard in Australian piggeries, with potential public health, animal health and medico-legal implications," Dr Kennedy said in the latest Medical Journal of Australia.

The journal has detailed the latest cases, revealing that the woman developed fatigue and anorexia, and lost 20 kilograms in the months before she was diagnosed in October 2006, and required an operation to replace her severely damaged aortic valve.

The man, who was from the same unnamed NSW town, presented to the hospital in January this year with headache, fevers, neck stiffness and confusion, and recovered after drug treatment.

Paul Seale, a professor of clinical pharmacology at the University of Sydney, said the cases should be a wake-call for health authorities.

"On the back of this we need occupational health and safety experts to go into these piggeries and rigorously examine ways in which the workers can be better protected from this exposure before it happens again," Prof Seale said.
© 2008 AAP
http://news.smh.com.au/national/pig-...1005-4u4d.html
Old 10-08-2008, 05:43 PM   #9
caonacl
the truth is precious

Scripps research team solves structure of 'beneficial' virus
Researchers seek to understand, and improve, virus that can infect lung cancer cells

The 3-D structure of the virus, known as Seneca Valley Virus-001, reveals that it is unlike any other known member of the Picornaviridae viral family, and confirms its recent designation as a separate genus "Senecavirus." The new study reveals that the virus's outer protein shell looks like a craggy golf ball¬—one with uneven divets and raised spikes—and the RNA strand beneath it is arranged in a round mesh rather like a whiffleball.
"It is not at all like other known picornaviruses that we are familiar with, including poliovirus and rhinoviruses, which cause the common cold," says the study's senior author, Associate Professor Vijay S. Reddy, Ph.D., of The Scripps Research Institute. "This crystal structure will now help us understand how Senecavirus works, and how we can take advantage of it."

The Senecavirus is a "new" virus, discovered several years ago by Neotropix Inc., a biotech company in Malvern, Pennsylvania. It was at first thought to be a laboratory contaminant, but researchers found it was a pathogen, now believed to originate from cows or pigs. Further investigation found that the virus was harmless to normal human cells, but could infect certain solid tumors, such as small cell lung cancer, the most common form of lung cancer.

Scientists at Neotrophix say that, in laboratory and animal studies, the virus demonstrates cancer-killing specificity that is 10,000 times higher than that seen in traditional chemotherapeutics, with no overt toxicity. The company has developed the "oncolytic" virus as an anti-cancer agent and is already conducting early phase clinical trials in patients with lung cancer.

But the researchers still did not know how the virus worked, so they turned to Reddy. He and his Scripps Research team, especially Sangita Venkataraman, Ph.D., a postdoctoral researcher, determined the Senecavirus crystal structure.

Reddy describes the differences they found between other picornaviruses and the Senecavirus as like variations among car models of the same manufacturer. "The chassis is the same, but the body style is different," he says. "How the body of a virus is shaped determines how it infects cells."

The structure of the Senecavirus is also depicted at http://viperdb.scripps.edu/, the "Virus Particle Explorer" developed at Scripps Research by Reddy and his colleagues. The online database is a worldwide resource for information on the structure of viral particles; it contains details of 253 viruses to date.

Once the structure of Seneca Valley Virus-001 was solved, researchers went on to identify several areas on the viral protein coat that they think might hook onto receptors on cancer cells in the process of infecting them. The researchers are now conducting further investigations on this process. "It will be critically important to find out what region of its structure the virus is using to bind to tumor cells, and what those cancer cell receptors are," Reddy says. "Then we can, hopefully, improve Senecavirus enough to become a potent agent that can be used with many different cancers."

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-srt100808.php

Last edited by caonacl; 10-11-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:45 PM   #10
Kassy
Eurothrash

[QUOTE=caonacl;27549]Scripps research team solves structure of 'beneficial' virus
Researchers seek to understand, and improve, virus that can infect lung cancer cells

Caonacl, don't you think this article is much too interesting to hide in Pig Watch? (and i think they're not even researching the pig part quite as much as the human part).
Old 10-11-2008, 04:30 PM   #11
caonacl
the truth is precious

[quote=Kassy;29037]
Quote:
Scripps research team solves structure of 'beneficial' virus

Caonacl, don't you think this article is much too interesting to hide in Pig Watch? (and i think they're not even researching the pig part quite as much as the human part).
I'LL MOVE IT TO THE LAB
Old 10-11-2008, 04:34 PM   #12
caonacl
the truth is precious

Japanese encephalitis strikes Kolkata
11 Oct 2008, 1832 hrs IST,PTI

KOLKATA: After dengue and malaria, the city is facing the menace of Japanese encephalitis (JE) which has already claimed a life in the southern outskirts of the metropolis.

The death, caused by a mosquito-borne virus that affects the nervous system, has been confirmed as JE following blood and spinal fluid tests, health department sources said here today.

The victim, identified as P Chowdhury of Behala area, died of the disease on Thursday at the School of Tropical Medicine, according to Kolkata Municipal Corporation's MiC (Health) Subodh De.

Admitting lack of precautionary steps on the part of the civic body in containing spread of larvae growth following the Monsoon, De said that two malarial and two dengue deaths had taken place in the metropolis recently.

JE, according to scientists, is spread by mosquitoes in areas of cultivation and where pigs are reared.

The symptoms of the disease are fever, chill, headache, nausea and high
temperature within six days and the infection spreading to the brain. It is fatal in 30 per cent cases.

The civic body has undertaken fogging operations in the affected areas, but admitted that it has no mechanism to diagnose Japanese encephalitis

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/C...ow/3584407.cms
Old 10-15-2008, 07:32 PM   #13
caonacl
the truth is precious

What stops ticks from spreading H5N1 from birds to pigs?

Disease Facts - African Swine Fever

Harmless to the native warthog and bush pig, but deadly to domesticated pigs. This virus causes red blood cells to disintegrate. It can be transmitted from pig to pig or by ticks that can carry the virus.

African swine fever (ASF) is a highly infectious disease that causes a large number of infected pigs to become ill very quickly and die. Pigs infected with the virus can show a wide range of symptoms, including fever, skin blotching, anorexia and diarrhoea. There is no treatment for this disease, and at present there is also no vaccine.

Disease facts:

Content main

The ASF virus is injected into the pig by ticks while they feeds on the pig's blood. Once in the blood the virus seeks out a particular type of cell, which is part of the immune system (a macrophage). It then hi-jacks the cells machinery to produce the components needed for making new virus particles. Thus the macrophage becomes a virus factory.

The virus that causes African swine fever (ASF) belongs to a group of viruses called the Asfarviridae, which are related to Poxviruses - including smallpox - and Iridoviruses.

Blood-suckers

Ornithodoros ticks can carry several serious blood diseases that can affect both animals and humans.Ornithodoros moubata is the species that carries the ASF virus. Whilst its preferred host, the wart hog, is unaffected by the virus, the domesticated pig is highly susceptible.

Ornithodoros moubata usually lives in the burrows made by the wart hog, where it relies on the wart hog for its blood meals. However, it is also able to feed on domesticated pigs that may be in the area and hence passes on the infection that would otherwise go unnoticed. The virus can then be spread directly to other pigs.

New infections in the tick are established when it takes a blood meal from an infected pig or warthog. Once infective virus is made, in the salivary glands of the tick, the next round of infection is ready to start: tick > pig > tick >pig >...etc; it can also go tick > pig > pig > pig or even pig > pig > pig > pig.

Sardinia is the only part of the European Union where African swine fever occurs. An eradication programme is in force. ASF spread to several countries in the Caucasus in 2007. Disease has been confirmed in domestic pigs in Georgia, Armenia, Abkhazia Autonomous Republic, Southern Osetia, Nagoro-Karabayh and from wild boar in Chechnya

http://www.iah.ac.uk/disease/AfSwFe.shtml
Old 10-23-2008, 08:55 PM   #14
caonacl
the truth is precious

Over 100 pigs killed by swine fever in south Russia

14:24|23/ 10/ 2008

STAVROPOL, October 23 (RIA Novosti) - An outbreak of African swine fever virus in south Russia's Stavropol Region has so far killed 115 pigs, the regional veterinary service said on Thursday.

The outbreak was reported on October 15 in the village of Gorkaya Balka at a farm containing over 6,000 pigs. Later tests confirmed the deaths were caused by the African swine fever virus.

Outbreaks of the highly contagious virus, which was first registered in 1903 in South Africa, are rare outside the region, but last spring Georgia, which borders Russia's North Caucasus republic of North Ossetia, saw outbreaks in 10 regions. A total of 20,000 pigs were culled
The virus does not pose a threat to humans.
http://en.rian.ru/russia/20081023/117908137.html
Old 10-24-2008, 08:50 PM   #15
caonacl
the truth is precious

Russian authorities probe swine fever deaths: report

5 hours ago
MOSCOW (AFP) — Russian authorities have launched a criminal investigation in the country's south where more than 100 pigs died of African Swine Fever, the Itar-Tass news agency reported Friday.

The outbreak in a single piggery in the Stravropolck region was due to a breach of sanitation laws, officials told the news agency.

According to the regional government press service, 117 of the 460 pigs in the pen succumbed to the virus between October 15 and 22.

African Swine Fever is highly contagious. The virus resists inactivation, and can persist in meat up to 15 weeks, processed hams up to six months and up to one month in contaminated pens.

It is endemic in a swathe of southern Africa and on the Iberian peninsula in Europe.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5...BDpCMV3LCgCl_Q
Old 10-27-2008, 08:04 PM   #16
caonacl
the truth is precious

Over 7,000 pigs to be culled over swine fever in south Russia

16:11|27/ 10/ 2008

STAVROPOL, October 27 (RIA Novosti) - Authorities in south Russia's Stavropol Region plan to cull 7,000 pigs to prevent the spread of African swine fever, first detected two weeks ago, a regional governor's spokesperson said on Monday.
Some 2,500 pigs have been already culled in the village of Gorkaya Balka, where the fatal virus was first reported on October 15. Some 117 pigs died and later tests confirmed the deaths were caused by the African swine fever virus.

A state of emergency has been declared in the area, where two new outbreaks were reported at private farms earlier on Monday. The area has been quarantined, and the transport of livestock, poultry and agricultural products has been banned.
The economic cost of the outbreaks is estimated at around 100 million rubles ($3.7 million).

Outbreaks of the highly contagious virus, which was first registered in 1903 in South Africa, are rare outside the region, but 5,000 pigs were culled or died from the virus in the summer in Russia's North Caucasus republic of North Ossetia.

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20081027/117970054.html
Old 10-28-2008, 09:53 PM   #17
treyfish

Anhui black slaughter Fang Wanggu human life
The over hundred dead pigs flow in the market every day

29/10/2008, on Wednesday in the morning 04:51

Inland question food endures not 絕, Anhui Bozhou Mengcheng County is uncovered has dies of illness the pig to flow in large numbers after personal slaughtering the market, consumer's health is worrying
. After the butcher purchases dies of illness the pig, according to the pig different cause of death separately processes, each catty pork's selling price only needs two Yuan to three Yuan, the so inexpensive price has attracted large quantities of small restaurants and the halogen vegetable files patronage.
"Anhui Market Newspaper" reported that Mengcheng County has several ten personal slaughterhouses, majority of slaughters gets sick, the dead pig primarily, the conservative estimate has hundred Yu Zhi to die of illness at least every day the pig to flow in the market. This newspaper's reporter made secret inquiries the discovery the other day, these slaughter room conceals in the private residence, in the field stinks to high heaven, and to avoid the bystander discovering, the slaughter room usually only then begins in before dawn.

Immerses the blood processing sell

Reporter from the man who once was engaged in dead pig slaughtering learned that slaughters the dead pig's method and the live pig is different, and the different cause of disease's pig's processing method also varies. Because the dead pig's blood already dispersed to the meat, after dead pig slaughtering, must put in the water to soak removes the scarlet, the yellowish pink sends the dark meat to process the half-finished product to sell again.Because local death pig slaughtering industry is prosperous, thus also some person of specialties purchase the dead pig, more than a hundred catty death pig only needs 20 Yuan to be able to buy, handed over again sells to slaughter Fang Jiuke to obtain turns time of profit, died of illness the pork after the processing, the selling price also only needs two Yuan to three Yuan. http://66.163.168.225/babelfish/tran...%26id%3d115762
treyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:32 PM   #18
caonacl
the truth is precious

RE: post above.......yuk
Old 10-29-2008, 12:40 AM   #19
Temp man
Non- PC run amok

Any more pig burning barns, Caonacl?
Temp man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:51 PM   #20
caonacl
the truth is precious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temp man View Post
Any more pig burning barns, Caonacl?
More than 1,000 pigs die in fire

By Ben Sutherly
Staff Writer

Monday, October 13, 2008

WASHINGTON TWP., Darke County — More than 1,000 hogs perished in a two-alarm barn fire early Monday, Oct. 13, a Union City assistant fire chief said.

The barn, which measured 40 feet by 200 feet, was a total loss, though a damage estimate wasn't immediately available, said Mark Wright. Used as a nursery, it housed 125 to 150 adult sows and 950 piglets, Wright said.

"It was nothing but a fireball," Wright said.

Wright wasn't aware of any injuries to the 40 firefighters who responded to the blaze, which was reported at 12:06 a.m. Firefighters worked for four hours at the farm at 162 Ohio 502, five miles south of Union City.
Stateline Agri Inc. owns the facility, Wright said.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation, Wright said.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/n/con...rnfireweb.html
Old 10-30-2008, 07:53 PM   #21
caonacl
the truth is precious

Friday, October 31, 2008
Hog cholera doesn't kill humans

HOG cholera or swine fever affects only pigs and has no detrimental effects on other animals or humans.

However, the potential damages to the pig industry would be severe.

The disease is endemic in Asia, Central and South America, and parts of Europe and Africa. It was believed to have been eradicated in the United Kingdom by 1966. It was eradicated in the United States of America in 1978.

On August 20, 2007, the Department of Agriculture investigated the outbreak of swine flu in Nueva Ecija and Central Luzon prompting the Philippine National Meat Inspection Service (NMIS) to raise a hog cholera "red alert" warning over Metro Manila and five regions of Luzon.

The pesti virus almost ruined the backyard piggeries in Bulacan and Pampanga, top hog producers in Central Luzon.

Agriculture officials said it killed at least 500 pigs of the 5,438 infected heads before it was contained.

Hogs stricken with the virus lose their appetite, show signs of diarrhea, and later, constipation and red spots on the skin. It also causes fever, skin lesions, convulsions, and usually (particularly in young animals) death within 15 days.

The acute form of hog cholera is highly virulent, causing persistent fevers that can raise body temperatures to as high as 107°F.

The chronic form of hog cholera causes similar clinical signs in affected swine, but the signs are less severe than in the acute form.

Discoloration of the abdominal skin and red splotches around the ears and extremities often occur. Pigs with chronic hog cholera can live for more than 100 days after the onset of infection.

The mild or clinically inapparent form of hog cholera seldom results in noticeable clinical signs. Affected pigs suffer short periods of illness often followed by periods of recovery. Eventually, a terminal relapse occurs.

The most common method of transmission is direct contact between healthy swine and those infected with hog cholera.

The disease can also be transmitted through contact with body secretions and excrement from infected animals. Healthy pigs coming into contact with contaminated vehicles, pens, feed, or clothing may contract the disease. Birds, flies, and humans can physically carry the virus from infected to healthy swine.

Swine owners can inadvertently cause infection through feeding their herds untreated food wastes containing infected pork scraps.

How swine owners can protect their animals

* Check animals at least twice a week for unusual signs or behaviors.
* Make sure food waste is properly heated to destroy pathogens.
* Isolate newly purchased hogs for at least 21 days.
* Isolate sick pigs until the cause of illness is determined.
* Fence property to prevent wild pigs from coming in contact with domestic herds.
* Practice standard bio-security measures, such as cleaning and disinfecting clothing, equipment, and vehicles entering and leaving the farm.

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/cag...ll.humans.html
Old 11-01-2008, 11:01 PM   #22
caonacl
the truth is precious

Over 12,000 pigs to be culled in South Russia over swine fever

20:19|01/ 11/ 2008

STAVROPOL, November 1 (RIA Novosti) - Vets in southern Russia's Stavropol Territory plan to cull a total of 12,000 pigs in an area suffering from an outbreak of swine fever, a local veterinary chief said on Saturday.

"Over 8,000 pigs have been culled at the moment," Vasily Serdyukov said.

Outbreaks of the highly contagious virus, which was first registered in 1903 in South Africa, are rare outside the region, but 5,000 pigs were culled or died from the virus in the summer in Russia's North Caucasus republic of North Ossetia.

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20081101/118093043.html
Old 11-02-2008, 03:36 PM   #23
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

Thanked 1,110 Times in 653 Posts
Quote:
More than 1,000 pigs die in fire

By Ben Sutherly
Staff Writer

Monday, October 13, 2008

WASHINGTON TWP., Darke County — More than 1,000 hogs perished in a two-alarm barn fire early Monday, Oct. 13, a Union City assistant fire chief said.

The barn, which measured 40 feet by 200 feet, was a total loss, though a damage estimate wasn't immediately available, said Mark Wright. Used as a nursery, it housed 125 to 150 adult sows and 950 piglets, Wright said.

"It was nothing but a fireball," Wright said.

Wright wasn't aware of any injuries to the 40 firefighters who responded to the blaze, which was reported at 12:06 a.m. Firefighters worked for four hours at the farm at 162 Ohio 502, five miles south of Union City.
Stateline Agri Inc. owns the facility, Wright said.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation, Wright said.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/n/con...rnfireweb.html
YUM!!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Barbecue
Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:09 PM   #24
caonacl
the truth is precious

Tuesday, November 04, 2008
Hog virus outbreak spreading
By Annabelle L. Ricalde

AFTER having spread in the municipalities of Opol and Laguindingan, it now appears that the hog cholera virus has struck another town on the western side of Misamis Oriental.

Misamis Oriental chief veterinarian Alfonso Ramosa confirmed Monday that the disease has spread to the municipality of Alubijid, particularly in Barangay Lumbo.

Ramosa said a caretaker of backyard hog raiser in Barangay Lumbo went to the Provincial Veterinary Office (PVO) Monday morning to avail of the anti-hog cholera vaccine for the 15 herds of swine owned by Joar Dy.

"Four pigs of their neighbors have died already so he was tasked by his employer to ask for the vaccine" Ramosa told Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro.

However, the PVO clarified it will not give vaccines to individuals but will course these through the local government units (LGUs) or to the municipal agriculturists. This procedure makes it easier for the PVO to monitor the outbreak of the virus.

Ramosa also confirmed that swine fever is still prevalent and it cannot be brought under control unless a massive vaccination is undertaken.

Misamis Oriental has a total swine population of 180,000 hogs mostly tended by backyard raisers, Ramosa said.

To have an effective vaccination, 80 percent of the total population should be vaccinated, Ramosa said.

"So our target is to vaccinate around 144,000 heads," Ramosa added.

The PVO needs around P2.4 million for the vaccination.

The Provincial Board (PB) on Monday invited Ramosa to its regular session to determine the amount needed to stop the spread of the pesti virus.

Ramosa emphasized that if a swine aged 21-days is vaccinated, there should be a repeat of the vaccination after three weeks. For matured hogs, the required vaccination is twice a year.

He said the virus has also affected several barangays in Cagayan de Oro before spreading to the western side of Misamis Oriental.

Ramosa said the virus might have been carried in vehicles used in carrying swine or by people traveling between backyard piggeries.

He said the disease can also be transmitted through contact with body secretions and excrement from infected animals or healthy pigs coming into contact with contaminated vehicles, pens, feed, or clothing.

Birds, flies, and humans are also known to physically carry the virus from the infected to healthy swine, Ramosa said.

The Misamis Oriental PVO had imposed strict isolation of backyard piggeries in Misamis Oriental following the outbreak.

"Gitawag man gud na nga epidemiology, so lisod gyud ang pag-trace and it will take time. Mao na ang weaknesses nato," Ramosa said.

The PVO chief, however, is disappointed that some municipal officials have remained unconcerned despite the information their office has provided.

"Naa naman unta available nga vaccine for their municipality pero wala man nagkuha," Ramosa said.

The PVO is expecting another five percent additional mortality in the town of Jasaan, which is among those badly hit by the pesti virus with 102 mortality.

The town's 15 barangays reportedly affected are San Isidro with 20 mortality; Solana with 20 mortality; Danao; Jampason and San Nicolas with 10; Natubo, Lower Jasaan, Aplaya and Luz Banzon with five mortality; Upper Jasaan, Kimaya, Corrales and Bobontugan with two mortality; San Antonio with three mortality and I.S. Cruz with one.

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/cag...spreading.html
Old 11-08-2008, 12:52 PM   #25
caonacl
the truth is precious

Blaze kills 800 piglets
Friday, November 7, 2008
Nearly a thousand pigs and piglets were killed in a fire at a Co Down Piggery today.
The 800 piglets and 80 pigs perished when fire swept through the piggery at breakfast time.

Police said only a very few pigs managed to escape the blaze at the Nugent Estate on Mountain Road in Portaferry.

A PSNI spokeswoman said there was nothing to suggest the fire had been anything but an accident, but the building was so badly damaged that experts had yet to get in to carry out an examination.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article....&in_page_id=34

Tags
pig, watch