Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Alternative and Survival Medicine > Herbarium

Herbarium A place for discussing alternative medicine in all its forms.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:38 PM   #1
Ought Six
Lifetime Level 3

Arrow Yarrow root, leaves and flowers

I have had digestive issues for the last ten years or so, and they were getting worse. I have gas, problems digesting some foods, and occasional constipation. I had this general feeling that my digestive tract was not working right.

My sister is, among other things, a self-taught naturopath. She recently read about yarrow. She will not recommend anything for family, friends or clients until she had tried it herself. First she got capsules with yarrow root and leaves, and then she found a source for powdered yarrow root. It was the first thing she had tried that significantly reduced the swelling and inflammation from here severe rheumatoid arthritis.

She recommended it to me, so I got both the leaf & flower caps and the root powder. I am extremely pleased with the results. It has really helped my digestion. I feel that everything is working right in my digestive tract for the first time in quite a while. I think it is actually healing my digestive tract.

On top of that, it helps me with insomnia. When I have trouble getting to sleep I take a dose of the root powder, and it helps me get to sleep. It is very mild, and leaves no after effects the next morning other than being refreshed from sleeping well.

Yarrow is widely used in traditional herbal medicine in Europe and western Asia. Studies have shown it has potent anti-inflammatory properties. The root powder is good, as I said, for digestive issues, and as a general tonic to improve energy levels. It is also good for lowering fevers.

The leaves have a potent styptic quality; they stop bleeding very quickly when packed into a wound, and were widely used for this by soldiers in Europe. They also disinfect the wound. The leaves can be infused into olive oil and used as a topical treatment for hemorrhoids. A tincture made from yarrow leaves is supposed to be effective in greatly reducing the severity and length of flu symptoms. A poultice of chewed yarrow leaves is supposed to be an effective treatment for bee stings and other insect stings and bites.

The scent of fresh yarrow flowers is mildly psychotropic and euphoric, so laying down in a patch of flower yarrow and just breathing the perfume is supposed to be a very pleasant experience. It is, however, addictive, so use due caution. Dried yarrow flowers can be used as a bittering agent in conjunction with or in place of hops in beer. This is still done with some traditional beers in Sweden.

Yarrow is a very potent herb, and should not be overused. Its alkaloids can accumulate in the body and become toxic if used in large quantities for a long time. If you start experiencing pain or a jittery, tense pressure in the spleen area, stop taking it for a while. It is best to use yarrow only when needed. I have only been taking the root once or twice a week, and the flowers and leaves every two or three days.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:46 PM   #2
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Thanked 2,899 Times in 1,280 Posts
I have to second this on being great for stomach issues. I am not having any problems with my RA lately, so can't say if it is due to my yarrow tea or not. I do find it a nice tea for the evenings.

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.

Calorie Counter
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
Ought Six
Lifetime Level 3

Arrow

So I assume you are drinking an infusion made from dried yarrow leaves?
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:53 PM   #4
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Thanked 2,899 Times in 1,280 Posts
Leaves and flowers.

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.

Calorie Counter
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:55 AM   #5
Brook

It was not uncommon to come to my house and see the kids running around with a yarrow leaf folded in half and stuffed up their noses.

The reason for its anti-inflammatory properties is because of its salicylic acid (aspirin) derivative.

I often boiled water and steeped fresh yarrow leaves and chamomile (usually dried) adding a little honey for the kids when they didn't feel well and had a fever.

'Yarrow may cause the nose not to bleed but in my garden it is nothing more then a weed.

I pull and pull to no avail, it must be another plant from hell!

Into the compost pile I throw, it cooks up faster which is good to know.

Maybe I shouldn't be so hard on this plant called yarrow, I'll wait and see what comes up tomorrow.'

Yarrow is such a pretty plant with its feathery leaves and beautiful cluster of flowers atop a single stem. Much sought after for dried flower arrangements.

I like yarrow.
Brook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flowers, leaves, root, yarrow