Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Preparedness

Preparedness Join us to discuss all aspects of preparedness.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:59 AM   #26
Ross
Lifetime Member

Thanked 6,145 Times in 2,759 Posts
I hate to say this people but you cannot outrun this event .

It may be with you for 15 to 30 years .

Which means you need a steady source of income(s)
even if very small.

“If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don’t believe in it at all.” ( Noam Chomsky )

‘you can judge a man’s spirit by the amount of truth he can tolerate.’ .... Nietzsche

Last edited by Ross; 08-02-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #27
preppiechick
Senior Level 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mscoffee View Post
Link not working for me

Looking for something?
We're sorry. The Web address you entered is not a functioning page on our site

Go to Amazon.com's Home Page
Couldn't get Lars link to work either(its a funky thing amazon does) but it works from oughts link (see where it is typed out on his quote vs. the little logo in Lars post
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands now deserves the love and thanks of men and woman. Tyranny like hell is not easily conquered yet we have this consolation with us, the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value."

-Thomas Paine

Last edited by preppiechick; 08-02-2011 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Argh tried to add it from oughts quote but keeps going to logo
preppiechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:32 PM   #28
Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
How long can you store gas for ?
With StayBil gas stabilizer (the marine formula) about a year, but with PRI gas stabilizer I've gone two years without a problem, and their site says that with yearly addition, it can easily go three years. If the grid goes down, make sure you have a hand pump, preferably one of the squeeze-bulb type if your tank is above ground. The squeeze-bulb type are also great for siphoning gas out of car tanks, etc.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:34 PM   #29
preppiechick
Senior Level 1

Quote:

even if very small.
Ross-
My gut tells me you're right but I'm still in the denial/bargaining stage of grief...keep hoping SOMEONE will fix this. Not for my sake, so much, I won't like it but I could manage(but not the fighting thing- rather find a hole and hide ) but for my kids. They're in hs and college and were raised in "this" world- my fault for not teaching them more skills - instead stressing the academic ...thought they would have a better life than my struggles- and they are excited and making plans for their futures and I don't want to turn lovely optimistic girls into bitter pessimistic ones. I mourn their loss and plan in the background, so they can live life to the fullest now. It's pretty stressful keeping up this facade of normalcy and then quietly prepping for teotwawki in the background. I spent my limited resources and time making sure they could go to good schools and live in a safe area. Wish I had just stayed in a rural area and bought a farm. Now it's too hard to do- only thing besides PM's that have gone up on value. And I think it's THE.ONLY.WAY any of us make it...
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands now deserves the love and thanks of men and woman. Tyranny like hell is not easily conquered yet we have this consolation with us, the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value."

-Thomas Paine
Old 08-02-2011, 01:25 PM   #30
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Thanked 2,907 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
How long can you store gas for ?
Seriously, if TEOTWAWKI comes, we better all just forget about having gasoline in any form unless we live on top of an oil well. Whatever we can store is going to eventually run out.

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.

Calorie Counter
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:38 PM   #31
preppiechick
Senior Level 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousehound View Post
Seriously, if TEOTWAWKI comes, we better all just forget about having gasoline in any form unless we live on top of an oil well. Whatever we can store is going to eventually run out.
We've been researching wood gasifiers:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas_generator

-Thomas Paine
Old 08-04-2011, 11:58 AM   #32
Mscoffee
Member Level 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flourbug View Post
MsCoffee, search for The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse by Fernando Ferfal Aguirre

Ferfal has a blog too - http://ferfal.blogspot.com/

If you are thinking of buying the book you may want to click on the link on his site so he gets the extra $$$ for the sale. (more like cents, but I am sure every penny helps... )

Another interesting post crash read is Cathy Buckle's blog. She lives in Zimbabwe - http://www.cathybuckle.com/
Thank you! FB. I read his blog awhile back but wanted to see how well the book was received. I'll be putting it on my 'things to buy' list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by preppiechick View Post
Couldn't get Lars link to work either(its a funky thing amazon does) but it works from oughts link (see where it is typed out on his quote vs. the little logo in Lars post
I'll be danged, Thanks! PC

Last edited by Mscoffee; 08-04-2011 at 01:22 PM. Reason: sp
Mscoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #33
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,849 Times in 4,731 Posts
Found an interesting site - looking over the gardening info now. Lots of videos:
http://modernsurvivalonline.com/surv...ads/gardening/
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #34
preppiechick
Senior Level 1

Someone read your headline,FB ;

http://www.preparednesspro.com/blog/...o-a-financial/

(if you get a chance scroll to the comments- the sheep are awakening and they're prepping and going to gun shows):

-Thomas Paine
Old 08-08-2011, 08:33 PM   #35
flourbug

pc, lets hope so... the more average people are prepared the less you and I have to worry.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #36
Malcolm
Senior Level 3

Ha Ha Ha .........Im a photographer and have a new "handi-cam" so if a lot of crap hits the fan here my videos "might" be world news.
I remember my Farther telling me about the riots outside Banks in Australia in 1929 .....I would love to have somthing like that in my home movie collection
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:41 AM   #37
AndreaCA
Senior Level 3

Thanked 3,330 Times in 1,488 Posts
Quote:

even if very small.
I agree completely, Ross. We are working really hard to pare our living expenses down to as little as possible and stocking up on nonperishables as they go on sale. Both DH and I are taking as many jobs as humanly possible and available right now, trying to build up as much of a cash reserve as possible while we can. Yet, our bottom line has been reduced by about 20% a year for the past few years. It's a scary time.
AndreaCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #38
Hamilton Felix
Part Time Good Guy

Funny. I just tried for the bottom link in Ought's 2-17-2011 post, the complete food storage FAQ. Got a 404 error.

Then looked at what appears in the bottom left of my screen, and saw:

http://www.shelfreliance.com/files/FAQ.pdff

not http://www.shelfreliance.com/files/FAQ.pdf

Went ahead and clicked, when the new window opened, I removed the extra f and tried again. Voila!
America has ten times too many police, a hundred times too many citizens unwilling to take responsibility for their own defense and the consequences of their own actions, a thousand times too many politicians who wrongly believe they have the right to tell others how to live their lives, and a million times too many illegal aliens.
Hamilton Felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #39
flourbug

Thanks Ham... I fixed the link in the original post.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:19 PM   #40
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,057 Posts
I want to scale back on the food budget so I ordered some new cook books on beans and vegetarian cooking and once the weather cools a bit I'll be trying out some new recipes. I plan on introducing many of them as side dishes to start and eventually turn the favorites into main dishes.

With the last kidlet gone my excitement over redoing the house is a 2 fold bonus. It allows me be repurpose rooms that we aren't actively using and will allow for a more user friendly environment. We can and will make large purchases of things like towels, socks, paper goods and what not when on sale and no longer have to be concerned that they will disappear.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:04 AM   #41
Greta

Quote:
Keep supplies to make a rocket stove and solar cooker... if things get that bad.
I have been wanting to make a rocket stove for quite some time but never got around to it. Instead, I have recently decided to buy one online. I am taking the lazy way out. Anyway, there are a lot of sticks and fallen limbs around here. Every time I see that, I think to myself: "There is fuel to cook with." Most people may not see sticks and fallen limbs in that way but after cooking with nothing more than a hobo stove in the past, I know this method of cooking works. In fact, just by taking a #10 can and cutting some holes in the bottom, and adding a hole on the side to add fuel (small sticks and wood chips), it actually works quite well. So I am thinking a rocket stove would even be more efficient.
Greta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:53 AM   #42
flourbug

$5 seems to be the new norm with veggies. Just about everything in the produce aisle is $4.99 a lb, or a bag, or a bunch.

The back of my pool cage is filled with growing things, and I pick a big salad for my lunch every day. I have plans to expand to include at least one main course veggie per day by going vertical inside the cage and putting some raised beds inside my small suburban side yards. We have two growing seasons here, spring and fall, and I can even eek out some things during the winter (experimenting with brussels sprouts this year and will expand next year) and summer (radishes, kale, sweet potatoes, peppers, pineapple and stevia all like the heat). My challenge is going to be keeping the critters out of the outside garden.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:49 AM   #43
Greta

I decided to get a volcano stove because the top is wide enough to grill and will also hold a pot as well. And it will use wood or charcoal. I still may buy or make a rocket stove.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #44
flourbug

What about a Kelly Kettle? Heating water on top of a volcano stove uses a lot more fuel. Boil water in the Kelly Kettle and save the stove for cooking and grilling your meals.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #45
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 4,302 Times in 1,773 Posts
I had to look:

http://www.kellykettle.com/

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:23 PM   #46
Greta

The kelly kettle is pretty cool. It is basically the same thing as a Swiss Army volcano stove I was looking at on ebay. Here is the rocket stove I was thinking about:

Old 12-12-2011, 05:52 PM   #47
Ought Six
Lifetime Level 3

Arrow

Another excellent cooking option is a Dutch oven. It can be used in your oven, or can be used with charcoal or coals from a wood fire. You can bake, stew, roast, simmer, boil, fry, deep fry, steam in it. If I had a Dutch oven, a grill to throw over the fire, a wok and a stack of bamboo steamers, I think that I could cook just about anything.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #48
flourbug

I lived without a stove or oven for a couple of years. I had a kerosene heater that did fine for heating water, a fireplace for baked potatoes and other foil wrapped fire roasted meals, or just put foil over the top of any cast iron skillet or pot to keep wayward sparks and char out of your dinner. Any flame will do, really. It's more about keeping the house or woods from burning down while you make dinner than generating the heat needed to cook what's in the pot.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:31 AM   #49
Greta

This appears to be a nice stove. It looks similar to a rocket stove but does not have an insulated chamber. I really like the larger surface for grilling.

By the way, I am not advertising, just posting things that would be convenient to have.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #50
flourbug

Aw gee, Greta... you're not a spammer? You ruined my day.

Seriously, the links are good. There are so many products out there, and a lot of them are new since survivalism is getting so much more attention these days.

Tags
collapse, economic, prepping