Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Our Leisure Time > Antiques, Junk Hunters and Dumpster Divers

Old 11-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 4,254 Times in 1,752 Posts
Default Auctions

We don't get to go very often but yesterday we had an opportunity and took it. Lots of tools at this one. The fellow selling had an amazing woodworking shop so as you can imagine there were lots of folks interested in his stuff. They also paid some incredible prices for it. There were a few things I had my eye on but the bidding went so high so fast that it became ridiculous. Some auctions are like that. Max and I came home with a box of files many with very nice handles, some that can be cleaned up and some that will be remade into other things at the forge. We also came home with a nice matt cutter. The seller made picture frames primarily and had some beautiful tools that went to good homes I'm sure.

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,703 Times in 4,663 Posts
Ooooh, yummy.

Woodworking is a really nice hobby. My father dabbled in it and it is Jason's obsession du jour.
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Most all the tools they sold were tools we already had except the lathe and bandsaw and they sold for nearly new prices. I don't know what gets into people. There was a nice brass table lamp I wanted that went for $120! I was willing to pay $30 maybe $40 for it. Then there was a cast iron doorstop (probably made at my greatgrandfather's Ironworks) that went for $130. A barristers bookcase I wanted had gone over $150 when we left. There was a wooden bowl, nice sized, old but nothing extraordinary that went for $80. Most of the big tools went for $200-$300. I'm glad for the seller. Just sad we weren't able to get much in the way of the deals you'd expect at an auction.

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
Old 11-11-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,703 Times in 4,663 Posts
Craigslist prices are going up here too. I think some of the people are nuts asking near original prices - or even more.
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

We went to another auction at the same place yesterday. Came home with a $3 box of crafty stuff, floral arranging supplies mostly. Looks like someone make boutonnieres and corsages for a wedding or some such. Also picked up two sets of tattoo pliers for putting permanent numbers in livestock ears for $5. I've been looking at getting some and they start at around $125! We bid on a few other things but they went for quite a bit more than we were willing to pay.

On the way home we stopped at on of our favorite junk places and bought a couple of DVDs, a nice bookcase for $20 (we bid on one at the auction and it went for quite a bit more than $20 ) and a fishing yoyo.

It was a good day and a nice outing.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

We're on a roll. The world has been pretty level as of late so today we made it to another auction. Came home with 2 beautiful crochet full size bed coverlets ($20), one very, very nice handmade quilt ($35), 4 down pillow slipped pillows which means they were strictly decorative and never used for sleeping on ($12.50), a great True Temper shovel ($4.50), and an absolutely gorgeous double width, solid maple, Ethan Allen sideboard with shelving, a unit that we've since discovered retails for almost $3000!! Please explain to me why people will pay that kind of money for a piece of furniture. ($170) We could kick ourselves for not picking up all the other Ethan Allen pieces. We're pretty tickled with what we got and we had a really nice afternoon to boot.

Last edited by blue gecko; 01-19-2013 at 10:35 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blue gecko For This Useful Post:
linttrap (02-05-2014), NowVoyager (01-19-2013)
Old 01-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,047 Times in 5,057 Posts
I'm sitting here pouting - what a GREAT haul!
Old 01-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #8
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

We got the shelving unit on the left. We bid on the one on the right but dropped out at $175 it went for $185.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buffet.jpg (76.4 KB, 54 views)

Old 01-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #9
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,047 Times in 5,057 Posts
I would have preferred the larger one as well - gotgeous!
Old 09-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #10
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

We've hit 2 auctions in the last 2 weeks. The one we went to yesterday is a regular auction house and its always nice to be indoors. Some of the things we picked up were:

A folding Bookcase for $10 just like this:

http://www.hayneedle.com/product/3ti...FTRo7AodTicA5Q

A box of good leather work gloves (18 pairs) for $25. They run about $8 a pair new.

A Remington Limb and Trim electric chain saw for $5

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Remington-...n-Saw/12176551

A really nice vintage metal porch chair for $20 (I love those old chairs) This one is not a Tulip Chair. Its has a perforated seat and back and rocks like a dream.

Other assorted items for next to nothing including a very nice hot glue gun and a box of tools like a circuit tester, fencing spikes, extendable magnets and the like. Also a nice block of knives ($5) mostly Chicago Cutlery that Max will put into working condition.

It was a good day and its always fun to be in an auction crowd.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #11
lilly

Haven't been to an auction in the country for years. They do tag sales and estate sales now, which aren't as much fun as the auctions were.

Though the peach festival in the next town for charity has a great auction with really high end items. By that time I didn't need anything, but I went for peach pie and peach icecream and a few books. Times change, and people aren't into antiques as they were twenty years back. It is pottery barn, and Ikea, and other world markets

And the firemen in New Vernon also have a doozy..
Old 09-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #12
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

I agree, Lilly. Tag sales aren't nearly as fun. The auctioneer at this auction is the same one who did the one we went to a couple of weeks ago and he and his staff do a great job. You don't have to go far in this area to be in the boonies and the patrons can be a very interesting mix. I think we enjoy people watching as much or more as bidding. We pretty seasoned about these things and are very selective about what we bid on. We don't need more junk unless its something we plan on turning.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:40 PM   #13
Not Active

Ethan Allen is quality furniture. I have spent real money on two pieces from them: a 9 foot leather couch and an enlargeable dining room table. The couch was $2100, a fortune. We bought it 24 years ago. Still in the living room and has not broken down, but you can see wear on the cushions. Still comfortable for the long-legged kids and is leather, so easily cleaned and maintained. Cheapo couches would have had to be replaced several times and would not accommodate a sleeping person as comfortably, as it still can.

The dining room table was about $1300--another fortune. It can seat 18 people with all the leaves in it. I have 6 siblings, their spouses and their children. Add the other side of the family and we can easily have 35 people without thinking twice. Worth every penny. Many dinner parties, holidays and more. It is about 20 years old.

Don't worry, we paid as we went. No debts.....wish there still was a store nearby, as I trusted the quality of those items.
#12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auctions