Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home > Cleaning and Organizing

Cleaning and Organizing Tips and tricks to get your home and all within it sparkling clean and neat as a pin.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,193 Times in 5,099 Posts
Red face Now I Gotta DO It!

I'm really, really good at THINKING about doing stuff. Last night as I headed to bed, I had visions of me blithely sailing through a day, (today), of spring cleaning. I would tackle A Room! By the end of the day it would be bright & sparkly, organized, shiny, starched. Everything would have a place & everything would be in that place. Excess stuff would be suitably disposed of. I even picked the room - the kitchen. I have a habit of leaving that one for last because it's cramped quarters & usually the most complicated. Not this year, nope! This year I'm going to be ENSIBLE & get the toughest done first.

No brainer & not that hard. At the end of the day I could sit, tired & smug with a sense of accomplishment.

Damn it!

My shoulder aches - I slept on it. There's a bit of sun outside & I'm having trouble getting started. I keep telling myself it's not that hard. It's not a huge space & I shouldn't find too many unpleasant surprises. I'm just bloody lazy.

I'm going to give myself another cople of minutes to pout & sulk, whine as I haul out my rags & sponges & scrapers & potions & get to it.

But thank Gawd I'm not 'on the clock' - I can take breaks as needed. I think once I get started I'll be fine. It's the getting started part I always hate.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Thanked 2,907 Times in 1,283 Posts
I vacuumed the whole house today before DH went to sleep this morning. Is that inspiration? I recommend coffee.

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.

Calorie Counter
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

I opened a root beeer & now it's time to start. I even got the camera out - never mind dog shaming, I'm all into Sue shaming if I find any unexpected nasties...LOL

Where's my floral smelling cleaner? Seems suitable for spring...
Old 02-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

Be sure to dust off the mittens and snow shovel while you're at it Sue.

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

Have you seen the red screen of death this morning?
Amberglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Bite me!

Do I dare look at the forecast? I've just finished the top rank of cupboards on the stove side & that is the absolute worst spring cleaning job in my book. Where does all that blasted grease come from? I swear it's leaching out of the wood & walls from the last 40 years.

It's that or I'm more of a cooking pig than I thought. I know what SO would say.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

I looked at the forecast... bollocks!
Old 02-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

15-25 cm on the way tonight.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

We're still getting a collective shrug from Environment Canada: "Something wicked this way comes - but we don't know quite what you're gonna get yet!"

Back to scrubbing - a couple of walls to do before replacing stuff on them. At least that 'stuff' is clean & greasefree now.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Okay, I wussed out after half the kitchen. But the half with the appliances & niggly bits is all done. The other side - just a matter of emptying cipboards, washing those out & putting everything back then scrubbing the cupboard facings. And scouring the floor.

I'll finish that tomorrow - lazy sod that I am.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #10
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

I cleaned all day today..if in doubt, throw it out!

Just checked on the weather, 15-20 cm tonight...it hasn't started here yet.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #11
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

I only got rid of a few things today - some flat serving trays I've been dragging around for years & never use. I have 4 kitchen drawers & a dozen or so cupboards to go through tomorrow - don't think I've much left there to get rid of.

I think once I tackle the bedroom.. I have some mysterious 'boxes' under the bed. Probably some good candidates for disposal there. And I have a ton of photos to go through... groan.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #12
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

It's amazing the junk you accumulate...I've been in this house 22 years. For the most part Im in pretty good shape. I started purging a few months ago. I still need to do the basement. I have a bedroom down there, full of bins. Everything in there is stuff I want to keep. The laundry room, storage rooms and the pantry still need purging.

Early spring I have to do the garage and pool house. They're absolute disasters! I need to get rid of a ton of stuff out of those two areas...bikes that are too small, pool toys,old planters, potting stuff, garden ornaments ...etc.

My mindset is now prepping for retirement .....and simplifying things.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #13
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

Hmmmm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (77.8 KB, 32 views)
Old 02-26-2013, 08:54 PM   #14
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

You're really trying to harsh my mellow with that forecast, aren't you? I refuse to believe it - bring it on! I think we're going to get a few piddly bits of slop... too warm for anything else.

Besides, it was sunny today & when I closed my eyes & turned my face to the sun... HEAT! A hawk was circling above looking for lunch, my cardinal was strutting, the nuthatches were dancing in the trees...

No watches or warnings here & there ain't gonna be, so there!

We've been here almost 5 years & we have to be ruthless. Sometimes, I'm not ruthless enough. Some itmes turn into something like badly located blood clots - they're THERE - useless, collecting dust & other crap & you can't let them go.

This spring, I'm clot busting... got a good start, already. Funny just how letting go a few of these things, gets you going in the right direction.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #15
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 5,370 Times in 2,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post
I'm really, really good at THINKING about doing stuff. Last night as I headed to bed, I had visions of me blithely sailing through a day, (today), of spring cleaning. I would tackle A Room! By the end of the day it would be bright & sparkly, organized, shiny, starched. Everything would have a place & everything would be in that place. Excess stuff would be suitably disposed of. I even picked the room - the kitchen. I have a habit of leaving that one for last because it's cramped quarters & usually the most complicated. Not this year, nope! This year I'm going to be ENSIBLE & get the toughest done first.

No brainer & not that hard. At the end of the day I could sit, tired & smug with a sense of accomplishment.

Damn it!

My shoulder aches - I slept on it. There's a bit of sun outside & I'm having trouble getting started. I keep telling myself it's not that hard. It's not a huge space & I shouldn't find too many unpleasant surprises. I'm just bloody lazy.

I'm going to give myself another cople of minutes to pout & sulk, whine as I haul out my rags & sponges & scrapers & potions & get to it.

But thank Gawd I'm not 'on the clock' - I can take breaks as needed. I think once I get started I'll be fine. It's the getting started part I always hate.
I thought that digging out and really organizing my sewing room would take a week, two tops.

I started January 7th.

I'm not done yet, but I'm down to the little piddly things. Maybe another week, two tops...
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #16
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

I swear it's the last 5% of stuff that takes 95% of the thinking & effort. It's the one of a kinds & other hard to organize stuff the block up time, isn't it?

I constantly make the mental mistake of thinking small space = small effort. And every year I'm painfully reminded that it ain't so. While I limit my possessions, limited space means everything has to be carefully placed. Enptying cupboards to clean them out & remind myself of what I have, what needs topping up etc. can be embarassingly like trying to shoo everyone out of a clown car. And that's the easy part... putting it back - shudder.

I find a rearrange something every time I do this & just when I think I've got it figured out, something changes. And the kitchen has the majority of stuff used daily. Clearing out the useless gadgets cleared a lot of space. I don't like 'one use only' kitchen items - unless they're used frequently.

I've got a lot of thinking to do this year as I spring clean. Our style is... utilitarian which in plain speech means 'ugly poverty' - LOL. All furniture is old, much repaired... & as long as it works, we'll hang on to it. We'll replace it when the cats go to the Great Litter Box in the Sky. I'm so used to being in debt, I'm hanging on to crappy old stuff I no loner NED - 'just in case'. Just in case WHAT? It's all surplus & ghastly. THAT is the sort of stuff we're ditching this go around.

Best done over 6 weeks or so. It still feels bizarre to think I don't have to hang on to something just because it works - especially clothing. I have a couple of ghastly old things that are hitting the trash TONIGHT! I don't need them. I don't like them anymore... time to say good-bye.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:24 AM   #17
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

Started snowing pretty good here, just over an hour ago...holy smokes, that is wet heavy snow. It's sticking to everything, the trees are already starting to look weighed down with it.

I can see some power outages coming, especially with the way the winds are picking up.

We just watched ARGO. Great movie.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:31 AM   #18
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

I looked at your forecast & my jaw dropped. 2-5 cm/HOUR at the worst. Girl, you are gonna be PUMMELED & yes, I can see power outages in your future. How's the wind? Because that sure looks to be neavy, sticky snow. Your local radar, (Environment Canada), is fugly.

We still only have a Special Weather Statement but those are slowly ramping up, (degrading?), in terms of icky factor.

We may see a watch later tonight.

I'm just glad I don't have to go anywhere tomorrow morning.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:45 AM   #19
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

I cancelled work tomorrow....I can't believe how fast and heavy it's coming down. Thank heavens for the snowblower...it's really clinging to things, it's heavy snow.

It's pretty windy, it comes in spurts.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:02 AM   #20
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

You're almost out of that exceptionally heavy band according to your radar but it's still going to be coming down at a mighty clup.

Our radar circle is starting to fill in from the southwest & it may actually get a little sporty around here.

I did it. I tossed out those 2 items of clothing I've been so reluctant to ditch. Then I threw out 6 more old, ragged things I keep wearing over & over even though I have far better things of the same type.

I had to think about that - why was I hanging on? There had to be a reason. Awful as it sounds, it's a self esteem thing. I don't 'deserve' nice things. Yeah, that's as idiotic as it sounds. I buy wonderful new things, then barely wear them - they're too nice. ENOUGH! How on earth can I improve my self esteem if I surround myself with things carrying negative baggage? That is ridiculously counterproductive. So... I went through my drawers & dumped everything I could see that was weighing me down in terms of clothing. Then I remembered -on the fridge I keep the world's most Gawd-awful photo of me. It was taken when I was sick & waiting for surgery. I look haggard & half dead? Why on EARTH was I keeping that on the fridge. I took it down, ripped it up & dumped it.

No more.

This was one of my big goals for this year - get my head straight. Letting go of negative reminders; many of which I don't consciously notice anymore, have to help. It wasn't hard - I thought it might be but at some level, I must have been ready. I don't feel empty or sad about getting rid of what I trashed - just... freer.

Curous to see what other negative nasties I can eliminate tomorrow.
Amberglass (02-27-2013), Wojapi (02-27-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #21
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

The kitchen is.. done! And I am fried. O fogured tomorrow I'd get my morning job done, then get a good long rest, (my back hurts!), before a rare 2 hour, late bingo shift.

Nope.

My elderly lady from downstairs just called me. She & hubby had a doc's appointment this afternoon. Doc took one look at him & called an ambulance. He's been having trouble breathing for a few days & would NOT let call an ambualnce. I hadn't been down there for a few days so had no idea. Luckily a friend had drien them to the doctor's so was able to take my lady to hospital. She's home now - a close friend was on the way over & she'll be going back to hospital tonight. Emerg again - at east for now. Apparently ambulance after ambulance was coming in. We have a very heavy, wet snow coming down hard & a lot of suspected cardiacs were coming in as were sprains, strains, breaks...

I'll go in straight from work tomorrow. Initial test results should be back & we'll have some idea what's going on.

Frankly, I think he's on the Final Road. He had no weight to lose yet has managed to do so. He can no longer walk more than a few steps, has bad COPD & a serious cardiac issue. I think he's given up too.

Not looking forward to tomorrow.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #22
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

That's too bad about your friend Sue, I hope he's ok.

That snow weighs a ton, its saturated. I imagine there will be a few cardiac incidents because of it.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:37 PM   #23
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

About two in the morning - 'slop' started falling from the sky. I strolled out for a minute & stuck out my coat sleeve. There were small flakes of snow, ice pellets & rain. When I got up for real this morning - there was a ton of slush on the ground & most of the day, it alternated between rain & snow with some ice thrown in for fun.

We've getting brutally big, wet flakes for about 3 hours now with no signs of letup. Just throw that on top of the slush. It won't end for hours yet. I am NOT shovelling today. SO is sick, my back is screaming & it's staying above freezing anyway. I may move some of it around late tomrrow afternoon if it looks like it's going to ice up but I'm hoping that won't be necessary.

Tags
gotta