Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Alternative and Survival Medicine > Herbarium

Herbarium A place for discussing alternative medicine in all its forms.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Thanked 2,899 Times in 1,280 Posts
Question Perimenopause symptoms handled naturally

I'm looking for natural therapy for perimenopause symptoms. So far I have decided on trying evening primrose, Mexican wild yam, black cohosh, and red clover. Other things that were recommended were Dong Quai, Motherwort, and Licorice root. Has anyone tried any of these things with positive results? I don't want to use hormones. I also thought about adding some soy to my diet for the natural estrogen in it.

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.

Calorie Counter
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
NowVoyager
Senior Level 6

Thanked 8,798 Times in 3,487 Posts
I opted for wild yam, black cohash and dong quai ---- It seemed to take the edge off the worst of the symptoms. I started with perimenopause when I was in my early 40's. Good thing too, IMO -- hot flashes were almost a good thing when when we lived in MN --- Especially in the winter --- Hot flashes down here? I swear I'd go to bed with a cold pack on my pillow.

Personally if you can go the natural route, FWIW, I think it's better. HRT bothers me --- Breast, cervical or ovarian cancer don't really run in my family but I wasn't keen with how my body reacted to birth control pills

Also I ate a lot of tofu and soy products for a long time -- that might have helped - who knows?

Just find what feels best for your body. --- And if you have access to a good homeopathic or herbalist or compounding pharmacist -- They're worth looking into

Walt Whitman
NowVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NowVoyager For This Useful Post:
Mousehound (05-19-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

OK, I just ordered some Dong Quai too. I have got to get a grip on things.

Calorie Counter
Old 05-19-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,877 Posts
I used evening primrose a bit, and a Swiss Naturals natural HRT. I teied that at the peak of my hot flashes last year, which were absolutely brutal. Night and day, several an hour. It may be coincidence, but they seemed to disappear when we started renovating last summer. More exercise, maybe?

They have returned the last few weeks, but minor and infrequent.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Sites that I have read have been recommending a good diet, regular exercise, regular sleep, no alcohol, no caffeine, etc. to help fight symptoms, but if you are already all messed up inside, it is hard to get a grip on those things. I'm hoping the herbals will help me regain some sense of control.

Calorie Counter
Old 05-19-2013, 11:52 PM   #6
rb.

Mouse, are you taking a magnesium/calcium supplement for sleep? It's working wonders fir me.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:53 PM   #7
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Yes, I do that already.

Calorie Counter
Old 05-20-2013, 12:11 AM   #8
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Sleep is probably my worst battle ground. Lately I have noticed concentration and memory issues too. Night sweats, mood swings, depression, situational fear that I've never had is not only there now, but getting worse. Lately I can't control my diet at all, just no chance at all. Lack of libido, dry skin, etc.

Calorie Counter
Old 05-20-2013, 03:06 AM   #9
lisa
Senior Level 1

Thanked 1,379 Times in 524 Posts
My sister swears by black cohosh... says it really helped her especially her hot flashes. I'm just starting Menopause myself not sure what I'll figure out for here in Japan though all the soy should help from what I've read.
lisa is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lisa For This Useful Post:
NowVoyager (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 06:50 AM   #10
Susie
I am NOT French, I just happen to live here

going to the gym, especially the aquagym, seemed to have helped me
Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Yes, the gym was always a good way for me to cope with things, but has become next to impossible since I've been working the night shift. I am trying to change to a day time job, but no luck yet.

Calorie Counter
Old 05-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #12
SarahS
ripple in still water

I know what you're going through, Mousie! I have not found anything that helped. Over ten years and still going on...
SarahS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SarahS For This Useful Post:
Mousehound (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #13
NowVoyager
Senior Level 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahS View Post
I know what you're going through, Mousie! I have not found anything that helped. Over ten years and still going on...
((SarahS))

Ten years????????!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought it was bad enough just going from peri to full blown menopause over the course of about five years was bad! There were several years of what I now look back on as the good time of being post menopausal --- Clear skin, no cramps, no hot flashes, no sleep issues, lots of energy and everything was working perfectly with the older body...... Of course now I could almost qualify as a fur bearing mammal and am not at all pleased to have to deal with freakin' acne at almost 60!!!!

Where's our ribbons for dealing with the joys of menopause???? How about a telethon? Nope, nada, nothing .....

Walt Whitman
Old 05-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #14
SarahS
ripple in still water

I figure it will last forever! But I have other perks of menopause... no PERIODS!! No birth control! My skin actually got better after the initial few months.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #15
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,811 Times in 2,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahS View Post
I figure it will last forever! But I have other perks of menopause... no PERIODS!! No birth control! My skin actually got better after the initial few months.

Other than the initial

"Oh sh*t! Please not pregnant at 43/44/45!"
Old 05-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #16
SarahS
ripple in still water

I had a patient get pregnant at 53... thought she'd been menopausal for years. Alas, she miscarried, and it was a much wanted child.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #17
rb.

My ex was a menopause baby. He was #4, and his mother cried. She went back to work, and he pretty much raised himself. He didn't do a very good job.

I still have the odd dream that I'm pregnant at this late stage (47), despite DH having had a vasectomy 15 years ago. Those dreams are terrifying!
Old 05-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #18
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,050 Posts
This peri thing stinks. My mom hit full menopause in her late 30's, her sister in her 50's and grandma finally had a hysterectomy in her mid 70's because she was still regular like clock work. I don't know about the paternal side of the family. I really doubt it will happen any time soon for me. My estrogen is still high. It is my progesterone that has fallen which has me way out of balance. I have tried replacement, including the yam, and it turns me into a very mean person. I don't take it unless my period lasts more than 8 weeks.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #19
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,694 Times in 4,662 Posts
I was two months shy of 45 when Mike was born. My attorney was the same age, having her first.

I think it depends on your personality. If you raise your children or don't have any and look forward to being "free" or your health and energy is not what it was when you were younger, then having a baby late in life probably isn't wise. But if you want a child later in life, don't hesitate. There are so many positives I could write a book, but it all comes down to this: I ENJOY this child. I can enjoy him because there is a calmness that comes from experience and stability. I am a better person and a better mother to my son, than I ever was to my daughters.

There are a lot of older mothers now. I thought I'd stand out - other parents would think I was the grandmother... but not so. With women delaying childbirth until they are financially secure, having a baby in your 40's is not as unusual as it once was.
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:06 PM   #20
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

By Saturday I should have my pill bottles all lined up, thanks be to Internet. I bought piles of organic brand tofu, and soy milk. I'm going to have to sneak it into my gullet somehow. It's not a favorite, but not as bad as eating fish or spinach.

Calorie Counter
Old 05-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #21
rb.

You are a far better woman than I, fb. I was fried at 30.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #22
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,811 Times in 2,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousehound View Post
By Saturday I should have my pill bottles all lined up, thanks be to Internet. I bought piles of organic brand tofu, and soy milk. I'm going to have to sneak it into my gullet somehow. It's not a favorite, but not as bad as eating fish or spinach.

I hate to be the one to bust on you but I don't think it is going to be the deus ex machina.

Most of the scientific press aren't that impressed with soy. Some nutritionists indicate that if you consumed enough soy you would have a lot of gastrointestinal issues.

Don't get me wrong, I like tofu, fresh TVP chunks, TVP mixed with hamburger, but I also think it is the health food du jour.

If you have trouble getting soy down, then you are going to love the recommendations here. 2, 16oz glasses a day or 7oz tofu.

Hey, it is all good though. Whatever it takes as long as you know they always couch the results in terms like "reduce severity and frequency" and even then about 20-25% and other studies see placebo groups not far from that. http://www.johnleemd.com/store/soy_menopause.html

Before everyone jumps on the "men don't understand" bandwagon and get the pitchforks out, remember, we are right there. Who wants to live with a woman ill tempered?

No matter what treatment plan you decide on, or can afford, the best start is a physician or endocrinologist if it is really severe.

http://www.udel.edu/udaily/2012/apr/...se-040412.html

1:42 p.m., April 4, 2012--In the most comprehensive study to date to examine the effects of soy on menopause, researchers have found that two daily servings of soy can reduce the frequency and severity of hot flashes by up to 26 percent, compared to a placebo. The findings, published in Menopause: The Journal of the North American Menopause Association, reviewed 19 previous studies that examined more than 1,200 women.

Although the effectiveness of soy in alleviating hot flashes has been inconclusive, with some studies suggesting soy to be beneficial and others suggesting otherwise, much of the discrepancy is due to small sample sizes and inconsistent methodology, according to the authors.
“When you combine them all, we’ve found the overall effect is still positive,” said Melissa Melby, an assistant professor of medical anthropology at the University of Delaware and co-author of the study.
Examining the impact of soy isoflavones, chemicals found in soy that exert a mild estrogen-like effect, Melby and her colleagues found:
  • Ingesting at least 54 milligrams of soy isoflavones daily for six weeks to a year reduces menopause hot flash frequency by 20.6 percent and severity by 26 percent, compared to a placebo.
  • The total reduction in frequency and severity might be even greater due to the placebo effect.
  • In longer duration studies (where women consumed soy isoflavones for 12 weeks or more), the decrease in hot flash frequency was approximately threefold greater than in shorter-duration trials.
  • Isoflavone supplements with higher levels (at least 19 milligrams) of genistein, one of the two main types of isoflavones, were more than twice as effective at reducing hot flash frequency than lower amounts.
Melby called the genistein result particularly notable because the compound is the primary isoflavone in soybeans and soy foods, suggesting that, “Eating soy foods, or using supplements derived from whole soybeans, may work better for women.”
Each gram of soy protein in soybeans and traditional soyfoods provides approximately 3.5 mg of isoflavones. Two glasses (16 oz) of soymilk or seven ounces of tofu provide approximately 50 mg of isoflavones.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #23
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

I'll take any help I can get, even if it is just a placebo effect.

Calorie Counter
Old 05-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #24
NowVoyager
Senior Level 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potemkin View Post
I hate to be the one to bust on you but I don't think it is going to be the deus ex machina.

Most of the scientific press aren't that impressed with soy. Some nutritionists indicate that if you consumed enough soy you would have a lot of gastrointestinal issues.

Don't get me wrong, I like tofu, fresh TVP chunks, TVP mixed with hamburger, but I also think it is the health food du jour.
I know there's pro and con in the debate of whether soy is good or bad for helping alleviate menopausal symptoms.

Heck some are completely against soy, period.

But I always look to Japan and generations of people who have has soy in one form or another, as a significant part of their diet, and until 'Western' influences starting making serious inroads in their diet, the people tended to be healthier over all, than a lot of their Western counterparts.

I've always had soy as part of my diet, to a greater or less extent since I was born. So far I can't say that it's impacted my health negatively. Hubby however considers soy in any form, as some insidious, evil, possibly alien food form to be avoided at all costs

And I agree, perhaps for some when it comes to forgoing the established HRT route for menopause, natural alternatives might be as much a power of their mind as measurable, physical relief.

Who knows?

But yes, get a thorough physical, baseline for you hormone levels, thyroid, mammogram, pap, bone density (especially if you're in a higher risk group) and discuss all the options --- HRT / natural / bio-identical, etc.

Bottom line, you want to feel good and have your body working as well as possible.

And hot flashes suck ---- chronic sleep issues suck ----- And if you're not well rested, your body isn't going to function at its best.

Walt Whitman
Old 05-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #25
NowVoyager
Senior Level 6

Walt Whitman
The Following User Says Thank You to NowVoyager For This Useful Post:
Mousehound (05-26-2013)

Tags
handled, naturally, perimenopause, symptoms