Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home > Cleaning and Organizing

Cleaning and Organizing Tips and tricks to get your home and all within it sparkling clean and neat as a pin.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:07 AM   #51
Susie
I am NOT French, I just happen to live here

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue gecko View Post
Welcome Back, PCS!!!
What BG said.

(and watch out for bedbugs, too)
Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Susie For This Useful Post:
CajunSunshine (02-28-2014)
Old 02-22-2014, 03:44 AM   #52
CajunSunshine
Joie de vivre!

Hiya sweetie!!!!! 'tis good to "see" you!!!

Yep, bedbugs are nasty-bad. I met a few in a one-night stay in a 5-star hotel, of all places. Now, whenever I travel, I inspect the mattress seams, etc. before accepting the room, and keep my bags zipped shut as much as possible.

So far, so good!
CajunSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:54 AM   #53
CajunSunshine
Joie de vivre!

deleted duplicate post....

Last edited by CajunSunshine; 02-22-2014 at 04:01 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:59 AM   #54
CajunSunshine
Joie de vivre!

Another decluttering tip that is especially helpful in the kitchen: Instead of saving dozens of an item, save only one dozen. Maximum!

Back in the days before I made my own yogurt, I saved every single store-bought yogurt container, esp. the large sizes. They were so handy, good for a million uses! Eventually, the supply outstripped the demand...and towers of stacked yogurt cups threatened to attack me every time I opened a cabinet.

I brought all but one dozen to the local recycling place. It was positively liberating!!!! Ditto with the coffee cans, etc.

I can see daylight now, lol.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:48 PM   #55
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,047 Times in 5,057 Posts
Default I Got Mentally Stuck

I may be ace at keeping my home decluttered but when it comes to decluttering my mind of frivolous concerns I tend to turn minor issues, even non-issues; into major nail biters... and all for no good reason whatsoever. I'm working on it & in the meantime, I can channel those feelings of anxiety into the anxiety many of us feel when it comes to decluttering.

We're back to clothing again; having taken an initial run through of the 'easy' stuff - the items that haven't fit for years, are simply there... because we spent money on it & hate to 'waste' that money; okay now we're going to go through the main part of our wardrobes.

Before you even start, a few things to consider. We wear clothing for different purposes - for work, for home & family life, including shopping, errands, chauffeuring family around, hobbies, sports, more formal occasions - what I| call wedding/funeral clothes, important appointments. Give some time to thinking what YOUR life is all about. What do you do? What do you wear when you're doing it? Now look at what you automatically gravitate towards - your 'go to' outfits for different occasions. Look for patterns - do you tens towards certain colours or styles? Are you into stripes, plaids, florals, other patterns, no patterns? Never mind what the glossy magazines tell you one 'should' wear - what do you wear?

Do you like to shop infrequently & stick to classic type stuff - the little black dress, tailored slacks, well cut suits? Or do you love to shop, to be on trend & spend less cash per item to get more things? Do you like a lot of accessories - bags, shoes, shawls, scarves, belts, fancy undies? For now, never mind the accessories; it will become much easier to sift through those once you've pared down your wardrobe to something you can live with & have room for.

A disorganized wardrobe can range from having a few excess items you've simply not made time to repair or dispose of, right up to having so many things it's taking up every closet in the house, storage bins & then some. For the purposes of this, I'm going to assume you have enough clothing to outfit the block or more accurately - enough clothing so you don't have a clue where to start to sort out this mess; to decide what to keep & what to let go.

If you have so many items you're not even sure what you do have, where on earth DO you start? How can you find the room to properly sort through things. There are a few ways you can approach this. You can do 'one cupboard/chest of drawers' at a time or you can take a category of clothing for a life category, (work or home), taking it in stages that way. Clearly no matter what approach you choose, it will be a while before you whittle items down to a number where you can do some really serious planning or co-ordinating of wardrobe. You'll find getting to that stage can be a challenge but once you do get there, it becomes easier & can be a whole lot of fun. Bear in mind too, that decluttering, keeping a grip on the stuff is an ongoing process. Once the initial process, (however long it takes), is done, ongoing maintenance can be incorporated into other aspects of home maintenance - trust me.

I'm well aware that clothing doesn't 'behave' in the sense that it doesn't all neatly line up in the closet or remain folded in drawers. As I write this, my winter coat is draped across the back of my computer chair - I'm in & out constantly, so it's easier to leave there until I go to bed. For a few hours before supper my clean clothes were waiting in the bathroom for me to shower. The laundry hamper is full. A number of items that should be in one location are in others - it's called life. No one is aiming for perfect - we're simply aiming for a point where we know what we have, when we're likely to wear it & we can find it within a few minutes... most of the time.

Don't be discouraged if this process seems to take forever. If you keep chipping away at it, you WILL get there. You'll have more space to work with, fewer items to deal with & maybe even a little less emotional baggage.

There are some matters to keep in mind that may make this a bit easier or if not, at least make you aware of potential roadblocks. First - these are things, they are not people, not relationships, not retirement funds, not beloved pets or the repository of memories. A few exceptions to the last but later on that. You don't have to hang on to anything even if it's ugly ill fitting, not your style - just because someone gave it to you. If you don't wear it, you don't have to hang on to it because it's new, expensive, 'might' be useful 'some day' or because someone you know might want it. You are not responsible for the future well being of an item of clothing. It is not a pet or a child. The CPS, (Clothing Protection Society) is not going to show up at your door step, press in tow & accuse you of atrocities towards tank tops. Clothing can make us feel confident, attractive, younger, older but in the end they are NOT who or what we are.

Ready to get started? Me neither but it we don't get started, this isn't going to get cleaned up.

Go grab a coffee, tea, wine, soda; whatever - I feel a strong chocolate milk urge setting in. And I have to pee.

Back in a few...
Feather (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 10:56 PM   #56
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Because this is a process that can't be done all in one shot & because it can be a hugely overwhelming job for those who have a ton of clothing, let's make this simple & start with one type of item - the one of which you have the most: t shirts, tank tops, shorts, jeans - whatever your particular pleasure happens to be. In the interest of self-confession & honesty & all that rot, I'll confess to being a fleece floozie, a hoodie whore, a sweater slut. Keep it simpler by choosing a type of item you wear a lot, perhaps in the many aspects of family life. Pull out all the ones that are fairly easily accessible. This is not the time to drag storage bins out of the garage or basement, you'll only get distracted & if you have nowhere in the main part of the house to put the items you're keeping, you'll only have to go through it again. So... stick to what's in wardrobes, cupboards, closets & dressers. If you've had time to plan this start - a day or two, fish all those items out of your laundry piles & launder them so they can be part of the process.

Again, you'll need some working space - a bed always works. Sort them out by colour; nothing else for now. Are there some items of a certain colour you don't wear? You'll know because you probably only have a few of them. If you know you've not worn them a while & you have tons of tees, why keep them? Put them in the discard pile. As you get to colours where you have a lot of items, it may help to further split them in terms of long sleeve versus, different neck styles, trim... again, there are going to be some you never wear. Tell me... why would you start to wear them now if you haven't been?

Still having trouble letting go? Okay - here's a compromise. Take the ones you're pretty sure you'd wear or will wear. Over the next 2 weeks, wear them. After 2 weeks, if you didn't wear them or they didn't work for you, they'll be easier to let go. Of course if these types of items are staples in your wardrobe & you live in a part of the country with seasons, you may want to keep more than one or two say... scoop necked, long sleeve, red tee. You'll want some for warm & cold seasons. Cut that type of item down as best you to a reasonable quantity. After all, unless all you wear is tee shirts, do you really need 19 of them? You still have blouses, tank tops, golf shirts... you get my drift.

Over whatever period of time works for you, work on your clothing items in this manner, different types of tops, bottoms. For the love of Gawd, don't keep a multitude of skirts if you never wear the damned things! If you're stuck between 2 almost identical items & can't make up your mind which to ditch, hang on to both for a while & see which you do wear more often. Get rid of the other. If one is way easier to keep clean or TO clean than the other - hang on to the easy care items. Hate ironing? Eliminate most of the stuff that has to be ironed. Same with dry cleanables if you find dry cleaning expensive or inconvenient.

As you go through this process, beware of these traps: "Oh that's a GORGEOUS blouse! I just need to buy a skirt to match it with." STOP! The idea here is to get rid of things, not to generate excuses for shopping trips. You already have too many items of clothing. Don't second guess yourself - if you're not using something, you're not using it. You aren't going to. Don't hang on to something thinking you're going to give it to your next door neighbour - you haven't yet, have you? Or... do it right now.

Then there's hanging to stuff planning to take it to a consignment shop. I'll tell you now, that's a lot of work for very little money. Unless you have some pretty valuable or vintage stuff you'll maybe get $40 for items that cost you $600-700. If you have items of decent quality take them to one of the better second hand/charity shops. Most of us do have decent stuff worth wearing - it's simply a matter of we're not the ones wearing them or likely to wear them.

Keep working away at the clothing. Again, don't sweat the accessories yet. Once the main pile of stuff has been thinned out & we're ready to give a last look at what's left, what's genuinely deserving of a place in our life - we'll deal with those items.

AND - items such as your mom's wedding dress, baby clothing; items of that nature don't count as clothing. Don't sweat that. I'm trying to help you thin out excess possessions - not cut your heart out.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:54 PM   #57
lilly

Yes, I need a big declutter before moving.

I haven't bought retail for years.

To bad the turn around table isn't allowed any more, but there are a few ladies with strokes who could use it, plus they have grown children who are mentally off who visit.

Will pack up a few shopping bags, and some bigger plastic bags for the mission and the homeless.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:50 PM   #58
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Have they eliminated the turn around table, lilly? If so that's a shame because our informal one in the laundry room here works well. We use it as an ad hoc library, give away unwanted small appliances, clothing... periodically the contents of our table are swapped out with the identical set up in the building next door. A week later, anything left is donated or disposed of.

The problem I've noticed with turnaround tables is that those prone to collecting clutter can't stay away from them. They'll take something even if they don't need it, if the style doesn't fit with their décor - they just HAVE to have it.

If you're seriously thinking of moving in a few months - even if you're not sure, start decluttering now. It will be less overwhelming than waiting for the inevitable 'right before a move' time period. You'll have more time to think things through.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:43 PM   #59
lilly

Think the big spat brought that about.

So far all that is all that happened afterwards. A week has passed.

Not my problem. An easier way of getting rid of what isn't needed or wanted anymore.

Once I move it will be the old, bring something in , send something out. I don't know what kind of space I'll get eventually.

Haven't seen what is available yet, and won't sign anything till it is better than what I have now. Won't sign without looking at all the terms.

This year will be a year of transition. I'm out of the foul East Coast winter and brutally hot summer weather. I much prefer the West Coast rainy but balmy weather.

I dressed down for this area of town, but the town I might move into is more upscale,but still West coast unpretentious, but I think more what I am used to, people wise, life choice wise. I'm tired of people looking like down and out bums all the time. I find clothes, food, and everything is a interesting choice I make each and every day.

Don't know, will find out what is what. But am starting to discard the grunge style I wore to get by.

The bus driver incident is on the net, and was all over the major news and NYC papers.

Now it is spring and a perfect time to declutter.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:53 PM   #60
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 4,254 Times in 1,752 Posts
I didn't get a lot of declutter done today but I did rearrange my bedroom and did a little sorting in my closet. There's something rather inspiring about rearranging and it usually results in an organizational domino effect around here

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:04 AM   #61
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Rearranging & sorting IS a form of decluttering. While the usual definition of clutter is usually 'too much stuff', it can also be classified as the right stuff in the wrong place or stuff simply not in an order that works for form, function or visual 'niceness'.

And... often while we're sorting stuff out, tidying up; we discover items we no longer need & are willing to let go.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:10 AM   #62
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,799 Times in 1,529 Posts
I'm going through some boxs that have things my sons left behind. I'm going to put thier things in a box with thier name on it. I'll ask my sons wifes grandma to talk to the youngest and see if he wants the stuff. If they don't want it then I'll save the toys for the grands.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:28 AM   #63
lilly

I'm thinking things through as I lie in bed in the mornings.

I like space, but don't need a second bedroom which I use as a study workshop.

I've done my major downsizing moving from Jersey, now it will be a pruning. As you would in a garden. This invasive plant goes, that bush gets pruned, this looks great but more than I can handle type of interior gardening.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #64
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

I'm coming back to this today - continuing on with clothing & accessories.

LOTS to cover, (potentially), because even the most organized among us has specific clutter demons to deal with. And if it's not us, it's spouses or kids that need a bit of a boot in the butt!
Old 03-06-2014, 10:18 PM   #65
Feather

I've decided to make getting rid of the books easy. I called a local charity about picking them up. That would make a lot of room to put other things to get rid of in the living room.

We've had a slight slow down. The door to the storage unit is frozen shut so we've had to stop taking stuff for now.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:49 PM   #66
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Feather - you're right, the physical space gained from donating the books will make it much easier to sort through other things.

If I recall correctly, you're looking to sell your current home, then... rent,(?) a smaller home, keeping in mind later you might need a seniors' residence?

The items you're putting in storage - are these items destined for family members, your new home when you finally move, sale...?
Old 03-07-2014, 04:19 AM   #67
Feather

We're planning on moving into an apartment. We really want to to move into the apartments down the street so we stay close to the largest amount of DGK's. I'm hoping we can stay out the rest of our lives there.

The stuff in the storage unit is what we want to keep to use at the new place. That's why we are getting rid of so much. The things we want to pass on to the grands are all written in our wills. If we are gone before three of the DGK's are adults thier things will be held by the parents of the other four, until they are adults. We don't trust the parents of three of them. The two youngest have parents that would sell what ever they inherit. The only parents I trust are the adoptive parents of four of the DGK's. It's sad that I can't trust my own son and his wife.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:06 PM   #68
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Default Clothing Clutter - Mind Blocks

Not easy, is it? We LOVE our clothes. Hard enough loving them just because they're well constructed, fit well, look damned FINE on us... but we often attribute so many other characteristics to our clothing & it's those characteristics we mentally add that can make getting rid of excess clothing so difficult.

I come from very peasant roots. I remember listening to older relatives talking about the subject of clothing back in the 'old days'. You could buy fabrics for not a huge amount of money but compared to today, it was proportionately more. Then once you had the fabric, you had to make the items required - a huge investment in time, especially if you didn't have a sewing machine. Time and money - 2 things that had to be carefully rationed. At the end of it, people got through their ordinary lives for not a whole lot of clothing - certainly not nearly as many items as we enjoy today. As a woman, a housewife, you had a few day dresses, a nicer one for going out to less than really important occasions & a 'best dress' for church & other formal outings. It didn't matter if you wore the same things over & over - your entire circle did. What mattered was that it was as well made as you could manage, fit you & wasn't TOO out of style.

Don't forget, you didn't go out without gloves or a hat so some room in the budget had to be left there. You could vary up your look a bit by changing the collar, (they were detachable), change out the buttons periodically & tweaking other little details; trim work, width of lapels. But clothing didn't get tossed because you were bored. Old dresses could be & were picked apart & the material reused, either for yourself or for younger, smaller family members. Ready made items were for the more well to do. I remember these same relatives telling me how jealous they could be of women who seemed to be able to afford to keep up with styles more often, how they hoped to one day be able to have lots & lots of clothes. In their minds, it was a measure of success.

Many of us have internalized that - subconsciously we feel the more we have, the higher the status we've attained. Interestingly, it doesn't have to necessarily be a case of having lots of EXPENSIVE clothes - just having lots of them seems to matter. I know women who buy items on impulse because they like them & a few years later, you can find them in their closets with the original tags still on them!

Others simply can't seem to stay out of the stores - even if they know they don't need anything, they'll gravitate to clothing stores, to sections where their favourite types of items are located. More often than not, they end up coming out with more of what they don't need. They liked the pattern. They loved that style, just didn't have that item in that colour. "But it was on SALE!" If I'm going to be honest & I have to be - I could easily do the same thing. My solution is simple - I stay out of clothing stores unless I'm specifically on one of my scheduled twice a year clothes shopping trips - fall/winter items in the spring, spring/summer items in the fall; when these items are on sale. I go in with a list, immediately locate, try on & buy my list items & make a point of allowing myself one or two non-essentials - just because I like them. Inevitably, I end up with a sweater or top of some sort.

Another block getting rid of clothing. Items we're looking to discard often represent a huge change in our lives & often a change or changes for which we weren't prepared. Clothing we wore at work; now we're retired & may not be thrilled about that. Or again, work clothing when we've decided to be a stay at home mom for the next ten years. Maybe we're a bit conflicted about that & that conflict can show up in not wanting to get rid of clothes. Maybe we've moved, involving a climate change. We didn't want to move but had to - our house was losing value, we needed more pay. Again, that angst is often reflected when we try to winnow out clothing items.

Yes, you're right. Decluttering sometimes is at least half a psychological process. Logically it's easy to look at items, decide we don't need them because... we don't live that life or we have too many of a certain item. It's the emotional noise around the clothing. It took me about 3 years to lose one of the most ratty sweatshirts known to man. It was one I'd throw on at oh dark thirty when the babies were fussy & needed to be rocked, sung to; all that desperate, middle of the night parent stuff. How disgusting was that shirt? I wouldn't even wear it gardening! It was stained with anything that can come out of any end of a baby, whatever the original pattern had been on it was long gone. I finally realized throwing that old rag out wouldn't cause me to forget the babies at that age, the late, often cold nights, the relief felt when whatever ailed them finally passed... |& it was taking up room I needed. It shouldn't have taken that long to get out of my drawers... but it did. Be aware, you'll hit items like that. Just keep revisiting them & at some point, you'll be ready to make that choice.

You may have thinned, weaned, winnowed, sorted, itemized, organized... & STILL have 2-3 times what you need for home life, work life, any part of your life. You know you still need to thin out; you just can't - analysis paralysis sets in. You can find reasons to keep anything you haven't already gotten rid of.

Try this exercise. Lay out your... work clothes - the clothes, not the shoes or accessories; just the clothes - in a spot where they're easily accessible. Set a timer for 5 minutes. In the 5 minutes, grab up to 15 items for work - no more, no less. Don't overthink it, just do it. Have a look at what you grabbed after the timer goes. Bet you it's the stuff you wear to work most of the time anyway, isn't it? Now you can go in 2 directions for follow on action. |Here's what I'd do. For the next few weeks at work, DON'T wear those items; wear your other work clothes. Not comfy in them? Don't like them? They don't really work for some reason or other? Good! Makes getting rid of them easier.

Or you can wear the items you grabbed & make sure you didn't miss something. Perhaps in your rush you missed a pair of neutral coloured slacks or a skirt that helps pull several looks together or a nice sweater for cooler days. Snag that from the stuff you didn't choose... then get rid of the rest.

You can repeat this exercise for your other categories of everyday wear - your 'mom' clothes, your shopping/errand clothing.

Work faithfully at it & within a month or so of periodic effort, you'll find you can really thin down your wardrobe.

Next: specialty wear & accessories.
Feather (03-08-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 10:21 AM   #69
Feather

Last night I couldn't sleep. I looked around the computer room and decided to pack all of the candles. I ended up putting them in fairly small boxes because of the weight. There's seven boxes of them sitting in the corner. I don't know if I should take them to the storage unit or not. Next thing is the closet. It has two filing cabinets full of photos and photo albums.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:55 PM   #70
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Default So, How Are We All Doing?

Decluttering - not a whole lot of fun, is it? It's certainly not my favourite occupation - more on that later.

So far we've looked at paper clutter, linens & clothing. Many may still be working on one, two or all three of those areas. That's cool - I'm certainly not imposing time lines & unless you're facing some drop dead date of your own, deal with it at your own pace. Okay wait - not too slowly; that can lead to backsliding but don't go to the opposite end of the spectrum & refuse to permit yourself to do ANYTHING ELSE until the areas you're currently dealing with are PERFECT. Perfect doesn't exist - we live in our homes, live our lives & I don't consider spending most spare minutes clearing through old clutter living. Nice afternoon out? Shut it down - grab a ball & go play with the kids in the park. There's still plenty of time available to do some work on clearing excess stuff - trust me.

If you're living in a world of serious clutter, the process of clearing out can be very difficult, very discouraging. It's easy to start dumping on ourselves, feeding ourselves negative messages such as: "How did I let it get this bad? I'm so lazy. I'm incredibly disorganized. I'm not as 'good' as my neighbour Marie who always seems to have her stuff together." All we accomplish by doing that is make clearing out excess stuff tougher. Instead of becoming a liberating process, we turn it into a negative experience. Do I want to xclean out a closet if it's going to mean after an hour I'm halfway to tears, hating myself & all my flaws - real & perceived? No. That's a hard habit to break. Work on it. Stop if clearing out becomes too emotionally tough. Listen to favourite music. Reward yourself after a good bout of work if you can - a bubble bath, favourite program or snack - try & slowly turn it into a positive experience. Take 'before' photos. Take photos of all the clutter you're eliminating - reinforce the positives as best you can for your circumstances.

As for Marie? Yeah, maybe her house is immaculate & her kids win every scholastic award available but for all you know, she puts up with a perpetually cheating husband & she's one missed payment short of having her house foreclosed. In short - nobody & nothing is perfect.

So keep chipping away. If you've been dealing with more than one of the areas mentioned so far, keep tweaking what you've done so far. Paper coming into the house? Deal with it as quickly as possible & eliminate what's not needed. Been catching up on laundry - do you really need those old pillow cases, especially now that you've discovered a few brand new sets you'd forgotten you bought last year? Out! Keep working away at clothing. Remember, if you don't wear it & haven't been wearing it, you're unlikely to. If it can be done quickly & conveniently, offer it to grown children of the same size, other family members or neighbours/friends/workmates. If you can't make that happen within say... a week, donate it.

Keep plugging away - you're doing well.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:18 AM   #71
Feather

The closet now has two empty file cabinets and I'm going to ask a friend if she will move a few things today. The two file cabinets and a couple of large boxes with framed pictures in them. We also have several tall lamps that won't fit in the car.

The books are all gone, it took him two trips to get them all. Today I'm hoping to get the bags of clothes to the church and that will leave only furniture in the living room. While we are at the church I'm going to see if they have someone to pick up the furniture in the garage.

I'm finding small items that are used around the outside of the house. They are going to the church. If we find a yield sign in the garage I'm going to give it to our favorite grocery store. Thiers is so faded it's hard to read. The street signes we have are leftovers from working in a sign shop.

While waiting for DH to get up I think I'll go int the backroom and finish going through clothes and other fabric things in a dresser. If I remember right there is clothes in some drawers and there may be sheets and even table cloths.

I think the candles will go to storage today. They are all jar candles so if they melt a bit it doesn't matter.

Remember, while sorting through things, to take a brake now and then. Stretch and get up and move a bit if you've been sitting or sit down if you've been standing or walking.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:56 PM   #72
Feather

We've decided to put the blankets in the big storage bags that you vacuume the air out of. I found them with a good price on Amazon but I'm not sure I'm reading the price right. It has a price and it's crossed out with a lower price and next to that is a check mark and the word Prime. Does that mean you have to have Amazon Prime to get that price?
Old 03-31-2014, 08:57 AM   #73
Feather

In the last ten days we've moved a lot more stuff to the storage unit. Right now I'm taking a short break from packing the kitchen. I've been packing the boxed food and most of the kitchen gadgets. The only one that's not gping anywhere is the crock pot. I use it year round.

We have a small stock pile of shelf ready food and most of it is getting packed. I'm taking the kitchen from three shelving units to hold food to just one.

As for the master bedroom, we're going to move one dresser into the third bedroom and move the funiture around so our room looks bigger.

DS said he would bring stuff from the basement for me. That's going to be the hardest part. I'd really like to sit in the basement to go through stuff. That way I can put any antiques in one area so we can have an antique dealer come in and give me a price for the lot. I also have to find a coin dealer. I found a small bank that looks like the passbooks they use to have for savings accounts. It holds several $2 bills from 1923, one from 1963, a one dollar silver certificate and a one dollar Canadian dollar from the 1920's.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:44 AM   #74
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

You're getting an awful lot done - congrats on that. It can be hard - not just physically but periodically, we find things that mentally 'ambush' us. A few weeks ago, I was in a snarky mood - so went through some of my files. I dumped out the one I call 'Personal Momentoes' & chanced upon some letters my dad had written me. I couldn't bring myself to even take the out of the envelops, never mind read them again. Luckily, I no longer have many items that kick me in the gut. Mush of what I'd previously saved had had negative memories associated with them & one day I burned them. It was a relief & clearly, they'd been taking up too much mental energy. I knew that because once they were gone - I felt hollow for a while. I figure if getting rid of negative stuff makes me feel empty, it's past time to lose it.

I'll be back to cleaning/sorting/organizing - just giving people time to work through the first 3 areas - they can be big enough AND, I'm taking care of some past due, (at least in my own mind!), stuff here as well.
Feather (03-31-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 12:54 PM   #75
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 4,254 Times in 1,752 Posts
I'm rearranging the living room today...Max says to let him know when its over! LOL There's not a lot of decluttering to do in that space except in the entertainment center. We've eliminated a lot of electronics and that has opened up some space. It needs to be completely emptied and cleaned, a job I'm not looking forward to.

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blue gecko For This Useful Post:
Feather (03-31-2014)

Tags
big, declutter