Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Alternative and Survival Medicine

Alternative and Survival Medicine Investigations and discussion into health systems, practices, and products that are not considered part of conventional medicine.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:50 PM   #1
Sarrah
Granny has danced 6,809 plus--->

Default I have a Tick am I doing right?

I found a tick in my hair. I have no idea where it came from to have found my head that is never outside strolling around. I suppose for now doesn't matter. We have been tardy this year putting the front line on the dogs and cats so we will do that.

The tic is holding on hard and it is a wee owie. I have removed them from the dogs and cats by applying their monthly dose of front line and the tic is finished. I do not put Front line on me or DH. So DH thought alcohol rub. I let him do it but I told him after I think the concept I have heard is to put something like Vaseline on it and smother it and it backs out.

So I we did that. If this is correct then when and how do I get it out of my hair? We'll sorry about removal of the Vaseline from the hair later.
How do I check for Lyme's disease? Of course human nature makes me go for the worst.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:05 PM   #2
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 4,318 Times in 1,777 Posts
http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/removing_a_tick.html

When you get it out put it in a jar with alcohol and save it. Keep an eye on the bite and watch for signs of infection/bulls eye ring sort of thing. If that happens you'll want to have the tick to test.

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:06 PM   #3
RottieMom
I live in the dog house

I have only ever removed ticks from the dogs. To do that I have smothered the tick with Vaseline (which will cause it to back out a bit), but I've always had to pull it out the rest of the way with a pair of tweezers. If you choose to use tweezers, pull the tick out VERY gently from as close to the head as you can. You want to make sure you get the entire tick out in one piece.

As far as Lyme disease, I know there's a blood test for the dogs, so I'd suspect there's probably one for humans as well???
RottieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:10 PM   #4
NowVoyager
Senior Level 6

Thanked 9,002 Times in 3,549 Posts
This is from the CDC:

Tick Removal

If you find a tick attached to your skin, there's no need to panic. There are several tick removal devices on the market, but a plain set of fine-tipped tweezers will remove a tick quite effectively.
How to remove a tick

Use fine-tipped tweezers to grasp the tick as close to the skin's surface as possible.
Pull upward with steady, even pressure. Don't twist or jerk the tick; this can cause the mouth-parts to break off and remain in the skin. If this happens, remove the mouth-parts with tweezers. If you are unable to remove the mouth easily with clean tweezers, leave it alone and let the skin heal.
After removing the tick, thoroughly clean the bite area and your hands with rubbing alcohol, an iodine scrub, or soap and water.

Avoid folklore remedies such as "painting" the tick with nail polish or petroleum jelly, or using heat to make the tick detach from the skin. Your goal is to remove the tick as quickly as possible--not waiting for it to detach.

Follow-up

If you develop a rash or fever within several weeks of removing a tick, see your doctor. Be sure to tell the doctor about your recent tick bite, when the bite occurred, and where you most likely acquired the tick.

http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/removing_a_tick.html

Doesn't have any specific tick on the head in the hair, information .... But it's a lot better than how we've handled ticks on the dogs ---- Just burning them off with either a match head or burning sticking of incense

Walt Whitman
NowVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:13 PM   #5
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
Old 06-01-2014, 06:56 PM   #6
Sarrah

You guys are good. In the time it took us to remove the dreadful beastie from my head and get back to tell you we got it, you have all the info one needs on tic removal.

Well old fashioned or not after about 15 min DH got his magnifying visor on and I leaned over his desk so he could sit and he got in and pulled that puppy out. One of our problems was we had to get some Vaseline off to see clearly. But obviously we did it. Then I had one big glob of Vaseline and hair to clean up before I could apply antibiotic ointment.
I used Dawn because they showed films of the birds getting clean from oil. Vaseline is oil product. It worked instantly. I about flooded the kitchen because I had to use a mirror propped in the drain rack and the sink hose facing almost directly at me but it cut right through and rinsed away easily. It did sting where the injury was, as small as it is even I was surprised. So if you ever have an animal to tend to in this way you should know that. I then towel dried it and combed until I am pretty sure I found the place and put the antibiotic cream on it. DH had to go lay down after his part in the operation and the CG will be here tomorrow so I'll give her the visor and she can check the bite.
Oh yes, on his way through DH gave both dogs their Frontline for the start of the season and we'll get the cats later at super time.
Now I want to wash my bedding etc and I can't. I am not able to change the bed either. I may not sleep well tonight. I told DH when he gets up I am checking his body over where ever he can't see. I want him to do the same...
Feather (06-02-2014)
Old 06-01-2014, 07:29 PM   #7
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

I'm glad you got it out! Have fun with the tick check

Old 06-01-2014, 08:50 PM   #8
RottieMom
I live in the dog house

Glad to hear you got the tick out without incident. They are vile, vile creatures and I hate when the dogs get one (which thankfully isn't often) and I have to pull it out.
RottieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:03 PM   #9
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,285 Times in 5,130 Posts
Okay my dear, the next little while is very important. Watch your health! If you feel you have a cold, feel a bit brain fogged, feel ANYTHING unusual or different, get your butt to the doctor.

If you were bitten in the scalp you may never see the bulls eye rash & not every victim of Lyme Disease develops one. Untreated Lyme or Lyme treated late can lead to long term problems you don't want.

Make yourself aware of the symptoms & make sure your hubby & CG know them as well. Any question, any doubt - GO!
Old 06-02-2014, 06:55 AM   #10
goatlady
LOGHL

To transfer Lyme's disease a tick has to be attached for 24 hours or more AND fully engourged. ALso It primarily is the deer tick that carries the disease, not the dog ticks. So don't fret, Sarrah, all is good.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:14 AM   #11
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Call me an idiot - I see tick & ASSUME deer tick & Lyme.

2 years ago I was bitten - never saw the tick. I denied a problem, even after developing s bulls eye rash. I posted a photo of the rash here & was rightly cuffed about the head & shoulders & 'bullied' into seeing my doctor... who promptly cuffed me about the head & shoulders!

It was not a fun summer. Doxy & I don't mix & I broke with symptoms of Lyme just as I started antibiotic treatment. Arthralgia, fatigue, brain fog - not fun.

We learned this spring that Lyme is now considered endemic in this area & it's been learned birds transport deer ticks, further spreading Lyme.

Not a disease I'd wish on anybody so when I see 'tick bite' - I freak.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:51 PM   #12
Sarrah

Well as far as deer ticks are concerned we have herds of deer pass by our front door 24/7. The brush here is called Buck brush and known to harbor ticks. However, I haven't been near anything like that. The only thing I can think of is the chihuahua was on my bed for a little while. She jumps down in the night. So maybe she brought it in and it preferred nice delicious Granny to little up tight dog?
Today the CG couldn't come in she has something. So she came over and fed the chickens and left. So hopefully she just has an allergy and can be here Wed to look at the wound. It doesn't hurt at all so I've no idea what that means.

Other than the fact that I can't reapply the antibiotic cream as I can't find the wound. It is impossible for DH to do. I doubt I can check with a mirror. I don't have all that much time left anyway. But I am sure it wasn't attached 24 hours and it wasn't full. The little bugger probably just latched on and it hurt. Not a big hurt like a knife cut but like a sting.

Ta goatlady As far as fuzzy brain I have that at least three times a day. I'm fresh in the morning and then as the day moves along with each ingestion of meds I fluctuate. If it wasn't a tick bite I wouldn't of bothered putting anything on it.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:28 PM   #13
oldasrocks

We've been pulling 2 or more ticks off us everyday this spring. Can I use this for an excuse for a fuzzy brain?
oldasrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:55 PM   #14
Sarrah

You go for it oldasrocks.
We reach a certain time of great aplomb. As we mature. We can just say what ever we want and folks either listen to us or not.

If you ever go to Doc or Mrs oldasrocks does. Why not get a Lyme disease blood test? My Doc and I have a deal. If I go in twice a year to see him. When I leave this world. He will tell the authorities that yes I am his patient and I do not need an autopsy. That is a great comfort to me for some reason. I can understand that. He cannot very well say he is my Doctor if I never see him. On the other hand he also said he expected both of us to be gone two years ago. So I think he just wants to know how far over we get.
DH is only able to do it once a year. But if he goes, first I'll plead his cause. It is the Gov't rules I am sure and it makes sense to make sure someone didn't off you if you were playing games then one day woke up dead. Some folks seem to go on in their home when they are dead for years and years. One of the problems with this paying your bills automatically. Money comes in and they get paid. OK, I'll stop blathering. It is obvious to me that I am well medicated at this point.
Lucky I don't drink.
Feather (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 08:32 PM   #15
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,907 Times in 2,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarrah View Post
I found a tick in my hair. I have no idea where it came from to have found my head that is never outside strolling around. I suppose for now doesn't matter.
Maybe dog, maybe deer tick.

End of spring is here and they are moving.

They sit right on the tips of plants, leaves, etc. even your veggies waiting for something to walk by.

Ever walk in a corn field where deers have been passing through?

Once brush, there you go.

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarrah View Post
You go for it oldasrocks.
We reach a certain time of great aplomb. As we mature. We can just say what ever we want and folks either listen to us or not.

If you ever go to Doc or Mrs oldasrocks does. Why not get a Lyme disease blood test?
PFFT, I would just check the spot every day for the next week to 10 days and wait for the bulls eye spot.

The course of treatment is the same and you don't gain that much waiting for the first sign of the bulls eye.

Exception: If someone is chronically ill, inform, or fragile.)

(I am not a physician, I don't play one on TV)
Old 06-02-2014, 09:22 PM   #16
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

I'm going to have to recheck the protocol here. I was 'thoroughly infected'; classic bulls eye rash & by the time the rash developed I ITCHED. I didn't at all the first few days. 10 stinking days of craptastic Doxy which my body hates.

SO was bitten, went in right away with tick in jar & was given a one dose course of treatment with Doxy.

What I find astounding is how quickly Lyme went from a rare illness here, just 3 years ago to now being deemed endemic. The preventative advice given is frustrating. Avoid areas where there are ticks... and deer... and birds. Cover up - completely. Tick checks once home.

ARGH!

Basically, give up my life in nice weather?

NO!
Old 06-04-2014, 05:19 PM   #17
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

When the boys go camping with scouts I treat those clothes with this stuff. It lasts thru 6 washes So I have set clothes for Camping and it REALLY works GREAT!

Old 06-04-2014, 06:20 PM   #18
Sarrah

That looks like a great help for outside sleepers and especially wandering through the infected areas.
I figure now I probably had my tick delivered to me in my bed by the Chihuahua. We hadn't started their Front line for the season. DH put it on them right away after I found the one on me.
That way if there are any hanging around the house they can jump on the dogs or cats and die.
I've removed ticks from dogs occasionally over the years. Cats too. This is my own personal first. I've not had to remove any from DH either. I figure if the animals are protected that guards us from them. All part of the guard duty chores.
On the good side of the page we have no fleas around here. I have had some wicked battles with flea infestation over the years. One thing I believe to be true about fleas. They are in the grass. If you don't have lawns you won't have fleas.

Tags
tick