Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Ebola

Ebola News, information and discussions about prevention, spread, and treatment of Ebola. Also see our Ebola Wiki at ebola.thisbluemarble.com

Old 08-04-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,275 Times in 3,379 Posts
Default Ebola 2014: Reports of possible cases in Australia, Canada, UK, US, EU

Mount Sinai Hospital in New York says patient being tested for Ebola after traveling to West Africa; says patient is in strict isolation - @ABC7NY

------------------------------

As someone mentioned on the main thread, it's likely that we'll start seeing more and more media reports of POSSIBLE cases showing up in countries where TBM members live. I thought it might be best to have a separate thread for these kind of reports, so that they don't get lost in the fast moving main thread.

-------------------------------

Mount Sinai patient tested for Ebola virus

Quote:
UPPER EAST SIDE (WABC) --
Mount Sinai Hospital is performing tests on a patient who had recently traveled to a West African country where Ebola has been reported, the hospital says.

A male patient with high fever and gastrointestinal symptoms came to the hospital's emergency room on Monday morning, officials said.

The hospital says the patient has been placed in strict isolation and is undergoing medical screenings to determine the cause of his symptoms.

"All necessary steps are being taken to ensure the safety of all patients, visitors and staff. We will continue to work closely with federal, state and city health officials to address and monitor this case, keep the community informed and provide the best quality care to all of our patients," the hospital wrote in a statement.

Mt. Sinai is following what the Center for Disease Control recommended last week when they sent a Health Alert to doctors and hospitals.

ABC News' Dr. Richard Besser cautions, "Many things cause fever and gastrointestinal symptoms. The steps they are taking are wise given the travel history, but nothing about the symptoms is specific to Ebola."

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire

Last edited by Catbird; 08-04-2014 at 04:51 PM. Reason: clarity
Catbird is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Catbird For This Useful Post:
lilargal (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 06:12 PM   #2
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,047 Times in 5,057 Posts
Presser - awaiting test results but odds are it's not Ebola.

Sending specimens to CDC; they're being 'processed' - to be sent tonight or early am.

Probably something more common, (malaria?)

Patient already is isolation+++, if you know what I mean.

They think they could handle the care IF it was Ebola.

Was quickly isolated in ER - little concern about other patients having had contact.

Family will be screened as per usual protocols if it is Ebola.

**If Wolf Blitzer doesn't learn to STFU during Q&A sessions, I'm storming Atlanta & pulling his beard out one hair at a time.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:21 PM   #3
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,275 Times in 3,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post
Presser - awaiting test results but odds are it's not Ebola.

...**If Wolf Blitzer doesn't learn to STFU during Q&A sessions, I'm storming Atlanta & pulling his beard out one hair at a time.

I'll join you! After his beard is pulled out, we'll scrape his face clean with a very, very dull razor.

One other thing to add to presser info. They expect test results in 24-48 hours.

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:31 PM   #4
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,866 Times in 2,184 Posts
Ireland

Quote:
HSE assessing suspected case of Ebola in Donegal

A man who died in Letterkenny Hospital is being checked for the Ebola virus.
According to a report in the Irish Times tests are being carried out in Letterkenny Hospital after a man is suspected to have died there from the Ebola virus.

The unnamed man is reported to have worked in Sierra Leone and that some of his colleagues in the African country had contracted the illness.

The HSE are carrying out tests on the man’s body and they issued a statement on the case this evening.

The HSE is currently assessing a suspected case of Ebola virus disease (EVD) in Donegal. The public health department was made aware earlier today of the remains of an individual, discovered early this morning, who had recently travelled to the one of the areas in Africa affected by the current Ebola virus disease outbreak.
http://www.joe.ie/news/current-affai...la-in-donegal/
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:36 AM   #5
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Quote:
Ebola virus ruled out in Donegal death

Tests for the viurs carried out after man died following stay in Sierra Leone

Fri, Aug 22, 2014, 13:08
First published:
Fri, Aug 22, 2014, 12:53
Dan Griffin

The Ebola virus has been ruled out as the cause of death in the case of a Donegal man who recently returned from Sierra Leone.

Dessie Quinn had been working in the African country where a number of his colleagues had contracted the virus.

The HSE carried out tests to see whether the death was due to exposure to the virus and this afternoon announced they had come back negative.
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/healt...eath-1.1904978
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:53 AM   #6
andy
Senior Level 5

Thanked 1,227 Times in 659 Posts
(I suppose I will put this here?!)

Nabarro clueless!?

"We're either close to a plateau, but then we'll drop, or we're in a phase, an inflection point, where it is going to increase, and I absolutely cannot tell ," David Nabarro told Agence France-Presse.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/global-fi...ebola-symptoms
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:09 AM   #7
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

So its either better, worse, or the same. Thank you for that insight. That is why he gets paid the big bucks.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:17 PM   #8
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Well it WAS honest. I'll be charitable - I think he was trying to explain a "We really don't know" answer. Depending if you look at spedcific villages, regions or nations - every scenario could apply. It may have finished its burn through initial areas of impact, be peaking in others & just getting wound up in yet others.

We're in uncharted territory.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:36 PM   #9
Brihard
Non-Electric Pop Up Target

Thanked 1,145 Times in 471 Posts
One patient in isolation in Montreal; recently returned from Guinea, presented with fever and other symptoms. Containment protocols out into place with samples sent to Winnipeg.

http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/57027...=canada-living
Brihard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:41 PM   #10
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Give me a minite.

Brian, does L'Actualite still provide decent Franco coverage or Le Presse?
Old 08-23-2014, 01:53 PM   #11
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

The Canadian Press story being picked up everywhere is pretty vanilla. The French press is reporting he was admitted Friday with fever & to quote - 'not all other symptoms of early stage acute illness'.

Montreal is the destination city for the majority of folks flying in from west Africa. NO surprise.

Probably malaria.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:03 PM   #12
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Tests came back negative for Ebola.
NowVoyager (08-23-2014)
Old 08-23-2014, 09:29 PM   #13
Sonny
Star Witness

Health officials confirmed earlier today that a UK national living in Sierra Leone had tested positive for the virus.

Aug 23, 2014 22:15
By Jessica Best, Ben Endley

Reports tonight suggest the man will be flown home from Sierra Leone in an attempt to save his life

The Mail on Sunday reports that he is medic who has been working for a British charity in the fight against the illness, and will be flown home by the RAF in an attempt to save his life.

The paper says ministers decided to fly him back to the UK after concluding at a top-level meeting that his repatriation would not trigger an outbreak here.

Earlier this evening, the Department of Health said the man was currently being assessed by medical experts "to ensure that appropriate care is delivered".

It said: "We can confirm that a British National residing in Sierra Leone has tested positive for Ebola virus infection. Medical experts are currently assessing the situation to ensure that appropriate care is delivered, and consular assistance is being provided."

Professor John Watson, deputy chief medical officer, added: "The overall risk to the public in the UK continues to be very low. Medical experts are currently assessing the situation in Sierra Leone to ensure that appropriate care is provided.

"We have robust, well-developed and well-tested NHS systems for managing unusual infectious diseases when they arise, supported by a wide range of experts."

Earlier month British Airways cancelled flights to Sierra Leone and Liberia, cutting off the only direct links between Britain and the Ebola-infected area.

The airline, which operates a direct flight four times a week from London to Sierra Leone and on to Liberia, suspended the flight “due to the deteriorating public health situation in both countries”.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...-medic-4096038

~
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #14
Hollyberry
Member Level 4

Thanked 1,109 Times in 389 Posts
And more on the Briton being flown back to the UK for treatment:

A Briton who contracted the Ebola virus in Sierra Leone is being flown back to the UK on an RAF jet, the UK Department for Health has said.

The patient, who is a healthcare worker, is to be flown to RAF Northolt and will then transported to an isolation unit at the Royal Free Hospital in north London.

The Briton is "not currently seriously unwell", a spokesman said.

Health chiefs say the risk to the UK from the virus remains "very low".

The Department for Health said the patient was being "medically evacuated" in a specially equipped C17 RAF aircraft following "clinical advice".

It is the first confirmed case of a Briton contracting the virus, for which there is no cure, during the latest outbreak.

The virus - one of the world's deadliest diseases - is spread between humans through direct contact with infected bloodily fluids.

So far 1,427 people in West Africa have died - more than in any other Ebola outbreak.

A statement from Sierra Leone's health ministry said the Briton had been volunteering at a clinic in the Kenema district of Sierra Leone.

Sidie Yayah Tunis, director of communications at the health ministry, said the patient had been flown out of the country's main airport in the town of Lungi.

Dr Paul Cosford, director for health protection at Public Health England, said the Briton was being transferred with "all appropriate protocols promptly activated" by UK health agencies.

"Protective measures will be strictly maintained to minimise the risk of transmission to staff transporting the patient to the UK and healthcare workers treating the individual.

"UK hospitals have a proven record of dealing with imported infectious diseases and this patient will be isolated and will receive the best care possible," Dr Cosford said.

Professor John Watson, deputy chief medical officer for the Department of Health, said the UK had "robust, well-developed and well-tested NHS systems for managing unusual infectious diseases".

"It is important to be reassured that although a case of Ebola in a British national healthcare worker residing in Sierra Leone has been identified and is being brought back to the UK the overall risk to the public in the UK remains very low," he added.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28919831
Hollyberry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hollyberry For This Useful Post:
Sonny (08-24-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 03:18 AM   #15
doc_jake
Member Level 4

Location: Northumberland, the last county in england before you hit scotland on the east coast.
Our first case has been repatriated to the UK http://news.sky.com/story/1324074/fi...us-lands-in-uk and is being treated in the Royal Free Hospital London https://www.royalfree.nhs.uk/service...solation-unit/

The Royal Free is our best Equipped hospital (only equipped) for treating Ebola in the UK, though they are refurbishing the high level isolation unit in Newcastle upon Tyne (my local city) which happens to be at the other end of the country from the Royal Free.
doc_jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:56 PM   #16
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Default Child in Gatineau tested for Ebola virus

Gatineau is across the Ottawa River from Ottawa - our equivalent of DC. Other sources didn't add any detail other than she's 3 years old:

***A young child from Gatineau who recently returned from Sierra Leone is being tested for the Ebola virus. The child is being assessed in isolation at a hospital in Gatineau.

The child is not believed to have been exposed to anyone who suffering from Ebola but is being tested as a precaution. There is no risk to medical staff.

Ottawa public health officials confirmed that they were aware of the case but couldn’t speak to any specific details. Public health officials declined to disclose which hospital the child was in.

CFRA was reporting that the child is a three-year-old girl who had travelled to Sierra Leone with her mother.***

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...or-ebola-virus
Old 08-29-2014, 08:04 PM   #17
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Default Canadian Lab Team Returns From Ebola-Affected Sierra Leone

TORONTO -- The Public Health Agency of Canada says the three Canadian scientists evacuated from Sierra Leone over Ebola concerns are back in Canada.

The three left earlier Friday to make the trip home.

A quarantine officer assessed the three when their plane landed in an undisclosed location.

They were deemed healthy and were allowed to travel to private residences.

The three will be in voluntary isolation for a period of time and will be monitored regularly.

Canada decided to pull them after people at their hotel complex in Kailahun, in eastern Sierra Leone, were diagnosed with Ebola.

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/canadia...#ixzz3BpSfcO35
Old 08-30-2014, 04:59 PM   #18
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Default Some Good News

The little girl in the Ottawa area, (Gatineau), has had her tests come back negative for Ebola. Neverhteless, she's being kept in isolation for nows as 'her symptoms are leading them to be cautious' - I'm paraphrasing.

There are a few possibilities here. Yellow Fever & Lassa Fever are endemic in SL - continued symptoms may still be suggesting one of these fevers. OR - her symptoms are still pointing to Ebola, clinically & a repeat test is indicated. We've seen some patients initial test negative.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:06 PM   #19
Brihard
Non-Electric Pop Up Target

Thanked 1,145 Times in 471 Posts
Suspected case in Stockholm; isolated, undergoing testing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...cial-says.html
Brihard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:25 PM   #20
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

For a looooooong time, we'll be seeing reports of suspects being tested in a great many countries. It's already happening a lot & as of today, most have been cleared. Those who haven't are simply within 24 hours or so of a test result, save any new ones from the last day or two.

We'll hit a point where we see fewer & fewer of these suspect reports - only because the novelty factor is gone. The reports will be out there, just not as predominant.

Then, when we hit the first 'developed world positive' - the press will go nuts.

Seriously, I'm not overly concerned about exported cases or even small clusters, (family/friend based), arising from those cases. They WILL eventually happen & when they do, they will be a tragedy for the folks & families/friends involved. But overall, in developed medical systems, not the end of the world. We can treat the sick, trace contacts, (watch local/national public health resources be repurposed in a heartbeat!) & clear areas who've had cases within... 8 weeks.

Medically I said, I'm not concerned. Public perception, unrest, optics... different story. A fine line will have to be drawn between patient privacy & preventing panic. It's a scary disease. The net is full of wonderfully icky images of the sick & dead & frightening ones of health care workers kitted up to the nines. The realities CAN be bad enough - exaggerated as they all too often are - a nightmare.

Once a positive has to be announced, specific itineraries of the case, any relevant travel history & movements 24 hours or so before falling ill MUST be clearly & carefully announced... in conjunction with a repeat of symptoms to watch for & time line for case development. Dedicated 'help line' number that will trigger a rapid reaction, should a contact break with symptoms must be well publicized. All potential contacts must be urged to call in. A lot of calls will come from those who really have nothing to be worried about - they must be treated with the same patience as those you REALLY need to hear from.

Give advice for any required voluntary isolation, deal with concerns about family members & make SURE these serious contacts have a 24 hour hot line they can use if they start feeling wobbly. The last thing you want is someone thinking they're not being supported in their fears & concerns, not being taken seriously or being treated as paraihs & bolting.

All these efforts must be well & thoroughly publicized. Transparency will be the key to a successful battle.

And... you can't muzzle the sensationalistic press but repetition of facts as we know them & we sure don't know everything yet, might mean fewer pay attention to the nonsense.
linttrap (08-31-2014)
Old 09-01-2014, 10:40 AM   #21
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Stockholm suspect tests negative.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:57 PM   #22
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Default British Ebola patient seems 'pretty well' and has regained appetite, says father

***Hopes that the first Briton to contract the deadly Ebola virus will make a full recovery have been raised after his father said he was doing "pretty well" and eating bacon butties.

Nurse Will Pooley, 29, is talking more and showing more interest in things around him, indicating that he may be over the worst.

He has been in an isolation unit in the Royal Free hospital, north London, for the past eight days after being evacuated from Sierra Leone where he contracted the disease.

"He's a lot better than we thought he might have been … he seems to be pretty well actually," said his father, Robin.

Pooley is being cared for by a team of specially trained doctors and nurses and has received the experimental drug ZMapp. There have been no human trials of the potential vaccine, but tests on monkeys have been successful.

Pooley's father told BBC Radio 4's PM programme that his son is having physiotherapy to rebuild his muscles.

"He's got a little step in there which the physio gave him to rebuild his strength, that in itself is a good enough sign," he said.

"His appetite is back. We came back with a bacon butty one morning for breakfast and we took him a rogan josh one evening."

The Ebola virus has an incubation period of between two and 21 days, with symptoms typically showing within 10 or 11 days. In the current outbreak, the fatality rate is around 50%.

The virus, which is spreading across west Africa, has claimed more than 1,500 lives and infected more than 3,000 people, according to the World Health Organisation, which has said as many as 20,000 people could be infected before the outbreak is contained.

Pooley's mother, Jackie, told the BBC that her son seemed to be recovering. "He's talking a lot more than he was at the beginning. He's interested in more things than he was," she said.

His father said they spoke to him through a special telephone unit, and could only see him through glass and sheets of plastic that enclose his bed.

"We've talked to him through a little telephone link and stand and sort of see him indistinctly through the glass and the polythene, but he seems to be pretty well actually, " his father said.

He said it would be up to his son whether he wanted to return to Sierra Leone or any other country where he put his health at risk. "It is his call, it's always been his call," he said.

Pooley contracted the virus while treating patients at a government hospital in Kenema, the third largest city in Sierra Leone and part of a quarantine zone in the country.

The hospital declined to comment.

Before contracting the virus, the nurse had said it was wonderful to see patients walk out alive.

"It's great seeing them walk away after some of them have been in a terrible state," he said.***

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...ospital-father

This is excellent news. Ebola is not a disease known for remission/relapse pattern. After presenting with initial symptoms, you go down, down... either die or hang in there for a few days, stabilize, then start to improve. The fact he's about to eat rogan josh, (Persian lamb dish) & bacon butties, (bacon sandwiches), is excellent.

He will have been considerably weakened & will have lost weight during his ordeal. While his nutritional intake will have to be closely monitered for a while, to get his systems back in balance, the ability to pack in some calorie loaded stuff & more importantly, foods he LIKES is vital.

And, lots of nice data for the UK staff to work with.

He won't be completely out of the woods yet. We don't know what damage his systems have suffered but the fact his treatment team allowed him to eat these dishes is a very good sign.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:50 PM   #23
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Default Another Canadian Suspect Case - Niagara Region

***Ontario patient isolated, being tested for Ebola

Published Tuesday, September 2, 2014 8:46PM EDT

An Ontario patient has been isolated and is being tested for Ebola after going to a hospital in the Niagara Region with flu-like symptoms. The patient had returned from West Africa.

"We are taking every precaution and isolating the patient per the best practice protocols, with advice from infectious disease experts and public health," Niagara Health System chief of staff and executive vice president Dr. Tom Stewart said in a statement. "On the whole, our analysis indicates this situation is very low-risk."

Stewart added the Ministry of Health has done a great job preparing hospitals for potential Ebola cases.

"Our goal in this case is to ensure this individual receives great care while protecting our staff and the public," said Stewart. "The situation here is different than in West Africa because of our infrastructure. We have a brand-new facility with negative pressure rooms and isolation abilities, and well-trained and well-prepared staff."

On Saturday, a girl placed in precautionary isolation at an Ottawa-area hospital tested negative for the Ebola virus . She was in isolation for a little more than a day as doctors waited for blood samples to be tested by the National Microbiology Laboratory in Winnipeg.

In recent weeks, one patient at a Montreal hospital, and one at a Brampton, Ont., hospital have both tested negative for Ebola.

The current Ebola outbreak, which is the deadliest ever, has killed more than 1,500 people in West Africa, according to the World Health Organization.***

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/ontario...#ixzz3CDlaiRik
Old 09-03-2014, 10:23 PM   #24
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thumbs up William Pooley, (UK Volunteer Nurse), Discharged!

***British Ebola patient discharged

The first British person to contract Ebola during the outbreak in West Africa has been discharged from hospital after making a full recovery.

William Pooley, 29, has been treated in a special isolation unit at the Royal Free Hospital in London.

Mr Pooley was given the experimental drug ZMapp and has praised the "world class" care at the hospital.

About half of the 3,000 people infected in the outbreak, which started in Guinea, have died.

The pace of the outbreak has been accelerating with more than 40% of cases in the past three weeks.

Mr Pooley was working as a volunteer nurse in one of the worst affected countries, Sierra Leone, when he contracted the virus.

He is unsure when he became infected, but started feeling sick and needed a blood test.

He recalled the moment his fears were confirmed: "I was woken early that evening by one of the World Health Organization doctors and immediately I knew it was bad news.

"I was worried that I was going to die, I was worried about my family and I was scared."...***

rest at link:

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-29045908
Old 09-08-2014, 03:00 PM   #25
penguinzee
Senior Level 1

Miami?

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-0...ial-ebola-case

Also- http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/C...274343711.html

Quote:
A patient who had shown some Ebola symptoms was being retested at a Miami-area hospital after initial tests came back negative, officials with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Monday.

CDC spokesman Jason McDonald said the patient was being retested to be sure.

3rd American Aid Worker With Ebola Is Boston Doctor

One of Jackson Health Systems' twitter accounts confirmed that a patient tested negative for the virus last week.

A Jackson Health spokeswoman said the patient had shown some symptoms associated with the disease.

U.S. Doctor Cured of Ebola Thought He Would Die

"Last week, a Jackson Health System patient tested negative for the Ebola virus. The patient had shown some symptoms associated with the disease and was tested in an abundance of caution," Jackson Health's Jennifer Piedra said. "All of our community’s precautionary measures were taken, multiple agencies worked effectively in partnership, and we demonstrated that we are ready in the unlikely event that this disease is detected in Miami-Dade County. Out of respect for patient privacy, we are not providing any additional details."
Franc (penguinzee)

Tags
2014, australia, canada, cases, ebola, reports