Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Alternative and Survival Medicine

Alternative and Survival Medicine Investigations and discussion into health systems, practices, and products that are not considered part of conventional medicine.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:35 AM   #1
AndreaCA
Senior Level 3

Thanked 3,311 Times in 1,480 Posts
Default Food As Medicine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0IhZ-R1O8g

I've been sort of following this plant-based, whole foods approach for about six weeks. Two weeks ago, I went at it 100%. I feel so much better. I haven't had any ibuprofen for a few weeks now - YAY. Before this eating style, I was popping them like candy. My blood pressure is coming down and in a two months, I'll see if my cholesterol has lowered enough to avoid the dreaded statin drugs. Oh, and did I mention I'm down 10 lbs?!?

This has made a huge difference in how I feel. I just wanted to share.
Catbird (03-05-2016), drummagick (03-17-2016), Feather (03-05-2016), linttrap (03-05-2016), Mousehound (03-05-2016), RottieMom (03-05-2016), spinnerholic (06-05-2016), WitchMisspelled (06-06-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 02:21 AM   #2
Ter
Voluntary Exile

Thanked 1,955 Times in 687 Posts
Andrea !! What have you done ?
Now I have to follow that advice and there is no animal fat, dairy or eggs in it !!
Oy vey !
I have to try it and see
Ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:09 AM   #3
lance
Member Level 1

I'll take honey over prescription antibiotics any day.

http://www.medicine.news/2016-03-04-...illnesses.html

~
lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 03:21 PM   #4
AndreaCA
Senior Level 3

Ter, if you need to avoid animal fat, dairy and eggs, this may be the eating style for you!
I highly recommend Fuhrman's Eat to Live. Some of his other books go into more detail but this one will give you the basic science as well as several resources. You can also read some of his success stories at his website: http://www.drfuhrman.com/

If you're really into resources and scientific studies, then I can also recommend Dr. Greger's How Not to Die. It's extremely well-written and easy to read.

There is also The China Study, books by Dr. Bernard which are great, and documentaries galore. Forks Over Knives is a good documentary on plant-based nutrition, and there are several documentaries on youtube as well. The Forks Over Knives book isn't worth buying but the Cookbook is - super tasty recipes.

I know you like eggs, so here's what I had for breakfast today:
https://happyherbivore.com/recipe/tofu-scramble/

except mine contained mushrooms too! I never, ever thought I would become a tofu eater but, it doesn't have cholesterol, unlike eggs. Did you know that chicken contains as much cholesterol as steak?!? Good grief. Here I've been trying to eat "healthy" by eating boneless, skinless chicken breasts and I could have just been eating steak - it would have gotten me into the same exact mess with my cholesterol. Sigh. . .

Good luck!

Last edited by AndreaCA; 03-05-2016 at 03:22 PM. Reason: add recipe link
AndreaCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:04 PM   #5
Ter
Voluntary Exile

I am two days in to vegetarian life, with only one little sin, and my sugar levels have already dropped. I reduced my medication.

Breakfast just now was fresh papaya, diced, and oat porridge. I asked for the same pumpkin soup like yesterday to take to office, really liked it.

Thanks Andrea.
I am looking at Greger's videos and will download some books as mentioned.
Very curious what will happen to my weight and blood pressure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ter For This Useful Post:
Feather (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 09:23 PM   #6
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,811 Times in 2,877 Posts
A whole bag of Oreo Double Stuffs is as good as a 10mg Valium tab.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Potemkin For This Useful Post:
Dreamweaver (03-08-2016), Feather (03-09-2016), flourbug (03-08-2016), NowVoyager (03-14-2016), Thymeless (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 10:28 PM   #7
Ter
Voluntary Exile

I downloaded his book "How not to die", it is over 500 pages... He makes a compelling argument I must say.

Someone told me two years ago that eating oats porridge for breakfast without milk and sugar reduces the cholesterol drastically. I didn't want to listen and kept on popping pills to try (in vain) to bring down my cholesterol.

I think one has to be ready for the message. Like a smoker doesn't want to hear about ways to stop smoking until he/she is ready to quit.

My biggest worry now is that my blood sugar is getting too low. i keep on adjusting the meds. I play it on the safe side and prefer to keep it a bit higher instead of too low.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:18 PM   #8
AndreaCA
Senior Level 3

For most people, type 2 diabetes is completely reversible with a plant-based, whole foods diet. For cholesterol, also add 4 brazil nuts once a month - just one - 4 nut dose once a month has proven to lower cholesterol by 20 points. Be careful not to eat too many in one sitting because of the high selenium content.
Ter (03-08-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 07:03 AM   #9
Ter
Voluntary Exile

I bought the brasil nuts.. wow they are expensive, cost me an arm, a leg and a testicle for 200 grams (that's 7 ounces).

And some macadamias, they are even more expensive !
Old 03-09-2016, 11:32 AM   #10
AndreaCA
Senior Level 3

Yes, they are crazy expensive, but if you're only eating a few a week, it's all good. You are brave to bring macadamia nuts into your house! I have banned them from my house because I can eat way too many of them!

Four Nuts once a month:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMy_R6tlAGA

Last edited by AndreaCA; 03-10-2016 at 07:01 PM. Reason: add youtube link
AndreaCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 01:34 PM   #11
LizB
Member Level 4

I do eat meat, I feel better in a meat based diet, but cutting out starches and added sugars made a huge difference in the waist/belly/hips, with no hunger or calorie counting. (Fruit is fine for me, but not foods with sugars added that nature didn't add.)

Once you get off the sugars and starches, you don't miss them. Real food (natural or minimally processed) tastes much better than the endless sugar of the typical american diet.

Getting off starches was difficult at first because I didn't know what to eat, the western diet is based on refined starches - breads, pastas, cookies and cakes. If you are used to pancakes for breakfast, a sandwich at lunch, and a noodle dish for supper, starch-free is a major diet change.

Lots of veggies, lots of the healthy fats, get enough protein, and lots of chronic health problems fade. People report mood improvements too, less depression or anxiety, better sleep.
LizB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:41 PM   #12
Ter
Voluntary Exile

Still plodding on ...
Most of my meals now consist of brown rice with lentil sauce.
When one is hungry, everything tastes good.

Almost succumbed yesterday when I saw the fresh salmon cuts in the supermarket yesterday. What a beautiful colour

On the other hand, I feel much better, walk like a young man, and my blood glucose is at excellent levels with 2/3rds of the prescribed medicine.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ter For This Useful Post:
Feather (03-14-2016), NowVoyager (03-14-2016), Thymeless (03-19-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 09:31 PM   #13
AndreaCA
Senior Level 3

Way to go,Ter! Are you getting lots of green vegetables as well? The veggies and fresh fruit add enough variety so that I never eat the same thing several times in a row unless I choose to. Congrats on getting better and reducing your meds! That is awesome!

LizB - Neither Ter nor I really want to be vegan, but health conditions have forced both of us in that direction. My cholesterol levels make it dangerous to continue eating meat, dairy, or eggs - all of which contain cholesterol. A strict plant-based, whole foods diet low in any processed fats and oils (nuts and seeds are fine, olive oil is not) and somewhat restrictive in carbs, has been proven to reverse many medical conditions from heart disease to diabetes. Sugar is also considered processed but dried and fresh fruits are allowed. It seems restrictive until you follow the diet for a short while and realize how chronic conditions like my arthritis have disappeared. I feel so much better. It truly is amazing and what is even more amazing is how wonderful whole foods taste once you've broken away from the salt/sugar addiction of processed pseudo food. If the diet seems overly restrictive, one doctor suggests thinking of it as nutritional surgery.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:06 AM   #14
Ter
Voluntary Exile

Andrea, we do not have the choices of vegetables that you have.. but we make the best of it. With the added complication that the person who prepares my food has taken five days leave So mostly rice and dahl it was and still is till tomorrow.

Breakfast today was slightly better because I picked up a fresh papaya from the supermarket yesterday and it was sliced and diced and refrigerated next to my oats this morning.

Shall I mention the side effects ? I am passing wind 24/7. As luck would have it I have my own office with an adjacent bathroom that only I am allowed to use
Old 03-14-2016, 10:33 AM   #15
freelove

DH has been vegan in the past and we still eat many vegan meals. I am a vegetarian and have been for about 35 years.

There is so much to eat that you never need to feel hungry or deprived. Soups are a wonderful way to feel nourished and well fed while maintaining your diet. Stuffed peppers, curries, chili, huge salads, beans all kinds of ways, polenta, stir fries, potatoes (can you eat them?), stewed dried fruit is a nice dessert. You can make a little pasta with lots of different sauces and lots of vegetables. There are all kinds of pastas available, too. Yesterday our family dinner was pasta primavera with broccoli, mushrooms, red peppers, artichokes, peas, zucchini and garlic (lots of garlic, it lowers cholesterol). It was delicious.

Why no olive oil?
freelove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freelove For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (03-14-2016), NowVoyager (03-14-2016)
Old 03-14-2016, 01:30 PM   #16
AndreaCA
Senior Level 3

Once you get to your ideal weight, a little olive oil is fine, although flax oil is better. The reasoning is that in active weight loss mode (nutritional surgery), you need to focus on eating foods packed with nutrients rather than calories. Dr. Fuhrman (he's one of many who advocates this eating style) suggests "gbombs" everyday: greens,beans,onions,mushrooms,berries, and seeds.

The science is there, the success stories are endless, it's just a matter of getting yourself in the right mindset.

Ter-the gassiness should get better as your body adjusts.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:07 PM   #17
LizB
Member Level 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaCA View Post
LizB - Neither Ter nor I really want to be vegan, but health conditions have forced both of us in that direction. My cholesterol levels make it dangerous to continue eating meat, dairy, or eggs - all of which contain cholesterol.
I have learned, to my surprise, that different people really do respond to different diets. It's important to find one that feeds you health and energy and good mood and good sleep, whether or not that diet works for everyone.

Getting rid of sugars and refined starches is apparently good for everyone, but I've met a number of people who had to quit being vegan or even vegetarian because after a few years it was negatively affecting their health; meat even if just once a week is essential for them. Yet, some others thrive on a totally vegetarian diet. The key is listen to your own body, don't assume one diet is ideal for all.

As to cholesterol: your brain needs it, and your heart; eating cholesterol has little effect on blood levels of cholesterol; instead 85% is made by the liver, and a high sugar/starch intake makes the liver create too much bad cholesterol.

Mine lowered when I gave up sugar and took up eating a quarter stick or more of butter per day and switched to grass fed meats, which have omega 3 instead of corn fed omega 6 (inflammatory) fats.

But mostly, listen to your own body and your intuition. What works for me might or might not work for you, but the "avoid dietary cholesterol" guidelines are way out of date; instead, avoid any heat processed fats/oils, including grocery store "vegetable oil". If you eat meat make sure it's animals fed their natural diet (for cows that means grass, not corn). Don't cook with oils that have a low smoke point which means the cooking process is oxidizing them, turning them unhealthy. Olive oil is good for salads, bad for cooking. Look up oil/fat smoke points.

Some random pages on cholesterol studies:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/433821
https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2...terol-in-food/
http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/n...od-cholesterol
http://news.nationalpost.com/health/...in-the-process
LizB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LizB For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (03-15-2016), Cactus Az (03-15-2016), Catbird (03-17-2016), Feather (03-16-2016), Ter (03-15-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 08:25 PM   #18
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,811 Times in 2,877 Posts
If you are **ahem** not regular and drink several cups of dark, black coffee (especially with chicory) it helps "get things moving again".
Old 03-17-2016, 09:34 PM   #19
Ter
Voluntary Exile

I am sad to announce that I have fallen off the wagon
Greger's diet is too restricted for me.
No meat, no dairy, no eggs, no fish... it is too much or should I say too little.
And I have to stay away from high carbs as well because of my diabetes. That takes away the potatoes, the noodles, most bread, most rice...

Sorry Andrea !
The Following User Says Thank You to Ter For This Useful Post:
Feather (03-20-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 06:38 PM   #20
AndreaCA
Senior Level 3

Ter - the diet does seem restrictive until you get used to it. It would also help if you had access to a larger variety of produce. But, why not modify the approach a bit? Beans/lentils are great for diabetics as are salads. Why not try 2 vegan meals a day and 1 meal with animal protein? If you read Fuhrman's Eat to Live, he actually allows animal products in his eating plan. (Of course, he now preaches full on Nazi veganism ). I actually plan on incorporating fish and chicken back into my diet a few times a week when I get my blood numbers back to where they need to be. Until then, it's nutritional surgery, with a completely vegan diet. I confess, I'm tempted, especially since I cook meat for my family, but I want to not have to take statins more than I want a piece of chicken.

Keep on trying to get your numbers down nutritionally. You can still achieve the numbers eating small amounts of meat and eggs. Dairy would probably be best to leave out unless you go to nonfat versions. Good Luck, Ter!
Ter (03-18-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 06:12 AM   #21
Ter
Voluntary Exile

Recently Greger destroyed the sweetener sucralose/Splenda so I stopped using it. I have Stevia sweetener but could not find any credible information on its effect on blood sugar. I have a good source of pure and cheap stevia here in Bangladesh. Any thoughts ?
Old 03-19-2016, 11:08 AM   #22
AndreaCA
Senior Level 3

Stevia is fine. It is a minimally processed plant product. I grow it in my garden. It's also considered safe for diabetics.
Feather (03-20-2016), Ter (03-19-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 07:56 PM   #23
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,799 Times in 1,529 Posts
I was thinking about this as I did my weekly grocery shopping. I went a bit nuts, I ended up with Cara Cara oranges, lettuce, bananas and a small bag of new potatoes for me and a bag of Halo's for DH. I know oranges and potatoes are carbs but the oranges have the fiber and I have just one a day and the potatoes are for Easter when I'll splurge and have two small ones. I have a salad almost every night with dinner.
AndreaCA (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 07:35 PM   #24
AndreaCA
Senior Level 3

Just now seeing this Feather, sorry! Every little bit you can do to get more fiber-filled whole foods into your diet is helpful! And many leading advocates of a PBWF (plant-based, whole-foods) diet recommend starting out slowly. I tried to find the link to a youtube video about an extremely obese woman who lost over 80 lbs in one year simply by switching to oatmeal and fruit for breakfast and eliminating snacks in between meals, but I can't find it now. Sorry, I'll be on the lookout for it!
Old 06-04-2016, 09:51 PM   #25
AndreaCA
Senior Level 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfsT-qYeqGM

Tags
food, medicine