Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > News

News This is the forum where we post hard news and current events. If it is outside the box then that is where it goes. If it is your opinion, please write in the Op/Ed forum.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:11 PM   #1
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,242 Times in 5,116 Posts
Exclamation ISIS Sympathizers Urging Attacks on Churches & Holiday Gathering Sites - Dec. 23, 2016

All I've found so far is an AP sourced article which we can't copy but this is too important not to pass on. An ISIS sympathizers' social media site is stated by US law enforcement as calling for attacks on churches & other Christmas gathering sites at or on Christmas. Apparently, a list, (with addresses), of such sites is also provided.

People are urged to be watchful of others & mindful of their surroundings.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:43 PM   #2
Brihard
Non-Electric Pop Up Target

Thanked 1,179 Times in 489 Posts
Not surprised. Obvious soft targets. Also one of those 'sleeping dragon' things.
Brihard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:17 PM   #3
erudne
Member Level 1

Stay away from crowds unless your paid professional PPL have eyes open to all routes of ingress and the fire power to stop a determined suicide attack: Keep in mind that BGs don't need no Egress route, they are there to stay/n play,,,,everyone should know this by now.
Oh, BTW; those white skinned Hippies/Millennias(?)...those druggies (?) are the next suicide bombers against priority targets inside COTUS. As things stand I'm guessing #1 Portland
#2 Seattle
#3 Frisco
#4 Somewhere in Canada
In summation...Stay away from the western and eastern shorelines of North America!

Last edited by erudne; 01-26-2017 at 10:33 PM.
erudne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 12:58 AM   #4
Brihard

Quote:
Originally Posted by erudne View Post
Stay away from crowds unless your paid professional PPL have eyes open to all routes of ingress and the fire power to stop a determined suicide attack: Keep in mind that BGs don't need no Egress route, they are there to stay/n play,,,,everyone should know this by now.
Oh, BTW; those white skinned Hippies/Millennias(?)...those druggies (?) are the next suicide bombers against priority targets inside COTUS. As things stand I'm guessing #1 Portland
#2 Seattle
#3 Frisco
#4 Somewhere in Canada
In summation...Stay away from the western and eastern shorelines of North America!
That's frankly silly. You're vastly more likely to die in a traffic accident than die in a terrorist attack. Frig, you're more likely to be accidentally killed by a child than deliberately killed by a terrorist. There will be the odd hit, absolutely. They will be rare, unpredictable, and statistically inconsequential in terms of your personal likelihood of being involved. Be alert when you're out, sure, but that should always be the case anyway. Don't change how you live your life because of these exceptionally rare events.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:16 AM   #5
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,863 Times in 4,739 Posts
Leon Klinghoffer's brother was my employer's accountant. I knew people on the plane that went down over Lockerbie, Scotland. My ex husband was working in the WTC during the 1993 WTC bombing. I knew the family of one of the injured kids in the Brooklyn Bridge Bombing. I was a block from the Empire State Building when a terrorist started shooting people from the observation deck. My oldest daughter left on the same flight, same destination, a week after TWA 800 was shot down off Long Island. I am good friends with one of the investigators of the murders of the outspoken Jersey City Coptic family.

My home county saw 60 people from our small suburban county die on 911. That's just ONE county.. neighboring counties saw as many, or more.

We were traveling west in our RV after 911 and the further we got from the east coast the larger the disconnect to the event. Once we reached the midwest it may as well have been a bombing in Beirut or an earthquake in Mexico City. It was terrible, but they didn't know anyone affected. They didn't know anyone who knew anyone affected.

Meanwhile, my kids were going to memorial services for their classmate's parents. Not one or two or three or five or ten. We lived in an upper middle class neighborhood that had train lines that fed right into the WTC and financial district of NY. Some of those kids got off the school bus on a sunny morning in September and stood in the parking lot and watched the buildings burn and fall knowing their parents were working inside. Teachers and friends huddled around them, watching in horror.

Every anniversary of 911 I describe how we drove past the commuter train parking lot late that night and saw dozens of cars still there, ghosts under the streetlights, the chill night air fogging their windows. Modern tombstones of my neighbors and friends.

To no one's surprise quite a few of the boys we knew enlisted. Do the half dozen that came back in body bags count as terrorist victims? What about those who were injured? Instead of traffic accidents, if you had said military service I might have to start comparing numbers.
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flourbug For This Useful Post:
dharma (01-27-2017), Sonny (01-27-2017), Thymeless (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 09:44 AM   #6
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,940 Times in 2,212 Posts
Not to pile on Bri, but just to confirm fb's analysis, one of the flight crew was a member of my church, my MIL's co-worker's son was one of the passengers, and my cousin works for Cantor Fitzgerald and had dozens of friends and colleagues perish inside to tower. The effect of 9/11 and the other events mentioned left a very palpable feel of vigilance in NYC and it's surrounding feeder communities.

As a personal anecdote, I perform as part of the music ministry at my church. Where I'm positioned during the time before and during the service gives me direct line of site to all entrances. While I'm singing I'm also watching who comes in, noting who I've never seen before, what they are wearing, where they end up sitting, and how they are acting. I'm not sure if this is an effect of being so close to 9/11, or my presence at TBM or both. Probably both.
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Exodia For This Useful Post:
flourbug (01-27-2017), NowVoyager (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 06:29 PM   #7
Brihard

The plural of anecdote is not data. Sounds like you've had remarkably unlucky connections to acts of terrorism, fb, but that does not change the statistical truth of what I said.

I would not say that those who died in overseas wars were terrorism victims in a way relevant to this conversation. That's death in battle.

My point stands: Be more afraid of drunk drivers, random assaults, or small children than of terrorists. This does not mean it isn't appropriate for the government, military, police,and intelligence agencies to work to stop threats. That's their job. But the average person shouldn't go out each day afraid of a terrorist attack while disregarding many vastly more likely dangers. It is silly, and not backed by data.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:57 PM   #8
dharma
Git it, booger.

Thanked 2,847 Times in 1,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brihard
The plural of anecdote is not data.
But data on a macro level mean little at the level of the individual. There is, for instance, a movement afoot to eliminate the use of PSA testing, since, for an entire population, it is argued, it creates too many false negatives and positives, and costs too much money to administer. But, if you are a man whose life was saved at 50 by an "unnecessary" PSA test, you see the question a great deal differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brihard
Be more afraid of drunk drivers, random assaults, or small children than of terrorists.
That people die in many unfortunate ways negates the problem of terrorism not at all. Sadly, it is not an either/or proposition; the risk of death from terrorism is in addition to all those other risks, not instead of them.

I doubt anyone in the Twin Towers on that evil day said to himself, "no big deal, I was much more likely to have fallen in the shower". I similarly doubt that any of the fallen at Fort Hood, having negotiated the gauntlet of statistical risk that is modern life to get to work, were comforted by their success when they were met by a murderous religious nutbag.

Trying to minimize the problem in this fashion is not useful. Dying from measles is unlikely in this day and age, but I will vaccinate my children nonetheless, because that is useful. I will also support more rigorous vetting of would-be immigrants, for similar reasons.
dharma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dharma For This Useful Post:
Cactus Az (01-27-2017), NowVoyager (01-27-2017), Sonny (01-29-2017), Thymeless (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 08:35 PM   #9
flourbug

Me? lol.... no, definitely not unusual.

If you click on the link in my last post, it says, "Being so close to New York City, there are very few in Union County who did not personally know someone, or the family of someone, killed or affected."

Now multiply that by all the counties and boroughs surrounding NYC.
The Following User Says Thank You to flourbug For This Useful Post:
Thymeless (01-27-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 06:41 AM   #10
Ter
Voluntary Exile

Thanked 1,961 Times in 689 Posts
I also had a couple of close encounters of the terrorist kind:

- an Israeli girl that was in the same first year biology as I at university was the only civilian killed during a hijack. She was killed during the commando operation to liberate the passengers.

- my upstairs neighbour in our previous house was a very nice gentleman, the owner of a garment factory. His son came over from Atlanta to get married and we were invited. We didn't go to the wedding, I try to avoid those, but later they invited us personally to come up for a dinner, a week or so after the wedding. Very nice people, very nice groom and bride (they were first cousins). I remember the young groom talking with me at the dinner table. Absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. Except a week or two later, the father contacted me and said his son was "kidnapped" and the police wasn't helping him.
I called a close friend of mine whose brother was the head of the Special Branch of police to ask for help. After a few minutes, my friend calls me back and says, very seriously, to not get involved with this case.

The rest can be read in the newspapers and the internet
http://no-separate-justice.org/cases/shifa-sadequee/
there is also a Wikipedia page of him but the kidnapping by the local cops and handing over to the FBI are not in that wiki page.

- and last year, on the first of July, a friend of more than twenty years, the Italian-Austrian woman Claudia d'Antona, was brutally murdered by the ISIS terrorists in the Holey Cafe in Gulshan, Dhaka, together with twety other people, 17 of them expats.

http://tinyurl.com/z3gxzyv

I knew several of the other assassinated Italians but that was just Hello and good evening. Claudia was a friend in need, she hosted me and my family at her house when I was in some danger in the year 2000 and she was the first person to call if one needed help or advice.
Ter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ter For This Useful Post:
flourbug (01-28-2017), leistb (01-28-2017), NowVoyager (01-28-2017), Sonny (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 03:27 PM   #11
Brihard

Well yeah, in a society as networked as ours, many of us will have second or third hand contact with people who have been personally proximate to this kind of stuff. I can do that as well. But the same also goes for all the other stuff- we proabably can all name a bunch of people who've been rocked by plenty of other unlikely-but-still-more-likely-than-terrorism tragedies/disasters. If we want to play Six Degrees of Shitty Things in Life, it almost immediately becomes meaningless.

I'm talking about when you personally step out the door each day, whether it makes sense to be afraid of terrorism, and whether it should change how you go about living your life. I contend that no, it shouldn't, and it's silly to let terrorism be a present fear in your daily life when so many other vastly more dangerous things aren't. I look both ways when I cross the street, but I don't avoid going out in public on the chance I get mowed down by a drunk driver. That's what I'm talking about. When I see calls to avoid going to any public gatherings and such because of the extremely small chance that something terrible and violent happens, that just doesn't make sense to me. But then I don't buy lottery tickets either.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:47 PM   #12
Oric
El Turco

Thanked 2,264 Times in 995 Posts
Nah, I am not afraid, I don't understand why you are ...
Oric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:04 PM   #13
Brihard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oric View Post
Nah, I am not afraid, I don't understand why you are ...
Because, in a manner of speaking, terrorism works. It uses shock and symbolism as a massive force multiplier. You only need to kill a few of us to scare many more. We live in societies that simply are not accustomed to the same degree of ever-present security threat. As unlikely as it always is that any particular person will be personally at risk in a terrorism incident, the 'it could happen to anyone' does have some impact. We live in societies that are easily shocked and are glue to live-streaming media. You shoot up any church, and 'it could be my church. Same for any potential venue, really.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:14 PM   #14
Oric
El Turco

Thanked 2,264 Times in 995 Posts
Well, we have had quite many in the last 18 months, the moment you realise that it is nothing more than a political tool, you get a numb feeling. I would be afraid of a civil war, but not this, this is artificial, superficial ..
Oric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:21 PM   #15
Mayerling
Member Level 5

My brother worked for Marsh Mac on the West Coast but frequently flew to,the office in the WTC.

I had taken the day off on 911 and for whatever reason took a nap,but set the alarm for 3:45 pm and turned on CNN- I heard the accounts of a plane flying in to the WTC and witnessed the second plane. I called into work to tell my boss what had happened and to turn on the news- this was the embassy and they didn't know yet. My mother called from LA and told me that my brother was in LA and not in NYC- although he had been on the phone to the office in NYC. My first thought was that there would be hijacked flights on the west coast.
BTW- I never saw dancing in the streets but had many many Egyptians offering their sympathy
Mayerling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mayerling For This Useful Post:
flourbug (01-29-2017), NowVoyager (01-29-2017), Sonny (01-29-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 09:23 AM   #16
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,940 Times in 2,212 Posts
I don't think anyone said they were afraid, we just commented on how we look at things a little differently than we did based on our experiences. You'll not convince me that having a better sense of situational awareness is debilitating.

My odds of getting struck by lightning are low, but I certainly wouldn't ignore rolls of thunder when outside. Low likelyhood, high impact still rates a yellow for me.
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Exodia For This Useful Post:
flourbug (01-30-2017), NowVoyager (01-30-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 10:21 AM   #17
flourbug

Definitely look on things differently.

My youngest daughter won't go to nightclubs since her friends were killed in Pulse. She's not afraid she will die in a terror attack, but nightclubs are no longer fun and instead bring on unpleasant thoughts.

Schools, malls, churches... we can't assume anything is safe any more.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:05 PM   #18
Brihard

Quote:
Originally Posted by flourbug View Post

My youngest daughter won't go to nightclubs since her friends were killed in Pulse. She's not afraid she will die in a terror attack, but nightclubs are no longer fun and instead bring on unpleasant thoughts.

A different standpoint, but one I can absolutely understand. There's a traumatic association there now that can be hard to undo.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:30 PM   #19
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 5,371 Times in 2,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flourbug View Post

I avoid large crowds, simply because I hate to be hemmed in by strangers.

When the DC sniper incident was happening, I avoided my local Walmart, because it was EXACTLY the type of setup the snipers preferred -- big box store, parking lot with lots of potential targets and clearly visible from an elevated major highway with plenty of potential exits. Was that parking lot hit? No. Could it have been? Most certainly. Was I over-reacting? I still say "no."
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Alanna For This Useful Post:
flourbug (01-31-2017)

Tags
attacks, churches, gathering, holiday, isis, sites, sympathizers, urging