Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Alternative and Survival Medicine

Alternative and Survival Medicine Investigations and discussion into health systems, practices, and products that are not considered part of conventional medicine.

Old 12-28-2016, 12:35 PM   #1
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,790 Times in 2,865 Posts
Default Preserving Aloe Vera

Anyone know how to do this?

I have an Aloe Vera, not Aloe Giganticus, which is old and it has really gotten out of hand.

It has some really nice size shoots which are "normal" size. More than enough for my ongoing needs.

I hate to waste this big one, probably 10lbs, but it has to go.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:43 PM   #2
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,690 Times in 4,659 Posts
Aloe doesn't do well at all once you take it off the plant. I have about 5 of those giant types that get so big they tip over a 50 gallon planter, and I could probably start a side business with all the babies they put out.

Aloe will only keep for a week or so if you take the whole leaf and wrap in foil and store in the fridge. You can blend the gel into a smoothie. There are several recipes online. I made a creamy hand lotion by cubing the gel and blending with raw shea butter (you can use coconut oil too) until it looked like mayonnaise, and added a bit of crystaline vitamin c and vitamin e oil to preserve it. I keep it in a tupperware container in the refrigerator and use it within a few months. It's good for after gardening when your hands are dried out from dirt and clean up. Gift it to all your friends.

Mostly, I feed it to my rabbit.
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flourbug For This Useful Post:
NowVoyager (12-28-2016)

Tags
aloe, preserving, vera