Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Medical News

Medical News News, information and discussions about health issues, medicine and biotechnology.

Old 04-22-2017, 01:41 PM   #1
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,895 Times in 2,914 Posts
Default Skipping bathing/showering

Since you wanted to know.

Last 3 paragraphs line it out. No need to bath/shower everyday.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/nati...ear/100069578/

What would happen if you didn't shower for a year?

Here are some of the things you could expect to happen if you didn't shower for an entire year. USA TODAY

We all know a person who's boasted about the length of time they've abstained from showering or bathing.

It's either an odd point of pride or a self-deprecating knock on their personal hygiene.

Either way, if they kept it up — say, for an entire year — they'd smell awful, would run the risk of infection and could be covered in acne and bumps.

Keeping it au naturel for that long is, besides a slow way to alienate yourself, not recommended, advises Dr. Cameron Rokhsar, an associate clinical professor of dermatology at Mt. Sinai Medical Center in New York.

Here's what would happen:

You'd smell

Unsurprisingly, a person would develop quite a funk after 365 showerless days.

Rokhsar said your stench likely would come as a result of the bacteria and dead skin accumulating on you.

After a year, he said, you'd have a build-up of skin stratum corneum, or dead skin on top of your skin. It includes a build-up of a protein our skin produces that has a funky odor to it. Bacteria also would accumulate on the skin, giving off a nasty smell when it mixes with our sweat.

Brown clumps would grow on you

Initially, said dermatologist Dr. Lauren Ploch, the skin would become oily or dry and become infected with fungus or yeast and then bacteria. The dirt on the skin could then cause warty growths.

Dr. Caroyln Jacob, director of Chicago Cosmetic Surgery and Dermatology, said the oily parts of your body would collect dirt and pollutants. This would happen most in places where your body produces the most oils, such as your underarms, behind the ears, on the neck and under a woman's breasts.

The body's dead skin normally rises to the surface and is flaked off through normal washing, said Jacob, a fellow of the American Academy of Dermatology. When that stops, the dead skin clumps together with your body's oils. The clumps would grow in patches and take on a brown hue once they collect dirt and other pollutants.

You'd be at higher risk for infection

We're taught early the first step to take when you get a cut is to wash it.

If you haven't washed in 365 days and you suffer an abrasion, the building bacteria on your skin means you may be more likely to suffer a soft tissue infection, notes Rokhsar.

"While infection may not be a concern in the beginning, carrying a large load of bacteria on the skin can pose a problem if the skin barrier were to become compromised in some way. i.e. through a cut or scrape," said Ploch, a member of the AAD.

Your head would itch

Dead skin would build on the scalp. We commonly call this dandruff, which causes your head to itch. But after a year, explains Rokhsar, your head would become "extremely itchy."

If not groomed, Jacob said hair becomes heavy with oil secreted from the scalp and the collected dirt and pollutants that stick to it. It would later, Rokhsar said, look matted and knotty.

You could break out in acne or puss bumps

As bacteria builds on your skin, said Jacob, it risks inflaming hair follicles, causing pimples. Rokhsar adds something called sebum would build up on your face, causing acne or puss bumps.

Your groin area will become a big problem

Jacob warns people to watch out for the groin area. She said you're likely to get rashes or something called intertrigo, a yeast and inflammation combination that goes from itchy and red to burning and painful.

Scum between your toes

Speaking of the groin, the fungus that will grow between your toes could easily spread to the pelvic area.

Jacob said dead skin would build up between your toes and become crusty. It could then harbor fungus, which could be transferred to your groin while putting your feet through your pants or underwear.

It could take weeks to return to normal

Turning yourself around could take time.

Rokhsar predicts it would take about a week to get back on track. However, Ploch hints it could take longer.

Some of her patients have gone months without washing a certain part of their body. It can take weeks, she said, for the skin to return to its normal state.

P.S. - Not everyone needs to shower every day

Dr. Elaine Larson, the associate dean for research at the Columbia School or Nursing and School of Public Health, said "frankly" showering and bathing is mostly for "aesthetics."

Showering every day, she said, is unnecessary. Every two, three or even four days is acceptable as long as you don't stink up the place. She said, generally, the organisms naturally found on her skin protect us from picking up harmful germs.

The exception, she said, are people with fragile immune systems, such as newborns, the elderly and people suffering from cancer.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:44 PM   #2
andy
Senior Level 5

Thanked 1,234 Times in 662 Posts
My Wife went through a period of depression after both of Her parents died within months of each other. That period lasted 2 years. It was devastating for me - as it was obviously for her. I was here on TBM and was obviously freaking out.

I am familiar with the above. Unfortunately for me. I tried the cops, the crisis hot line, her family, my family..... It got extreme.

I will stop at this point..... other than to say that the solution was as extreme as the problem. When you get to that point - everything is extreme.

By the way, the scalp peels off too.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:13 PM   #3
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,877 Posts
My father went about 9 months without showering. I suspect he didn't change his clothes after a month in, as he was not doing laundry. Or brushing his teeth. No urging or harassing would encourage him. Seniors mental health could not say he wasn't independent at that point.

By the time he hit the hospital at the 9 month mark, I took the ER nurse aside, told her about this. I told her to gown up, mask up, glove up, and burn his clothes. She was VERY thankful to be pulled aside.
Feather (04-23-2017), NowVoyager (04-22-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 10:09 AM   #4
oldasrocks

At one time it was considered to be devils work to take a bath. Some only took a bath twice a year if at all. No wonder we had a period called the Dark Ages!

One thought- Maybe this is why man survived. We smelled so bad the animals would not eat us.
oldasrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldasrocks For This Useful Post:
Feather (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 11:34 AM   #5
andy
Senior Level 5

Thanked 1,234 Times in 662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldasrocks View Post
One thought- Maybe this is why man survived. We smelled so bad the animals would not eat us.
I actually read that somewhere a couple of decades ago!
Old 04-23-2017, 07:38 PM   #6
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 5,346 Times in 2,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldasrocks View Post
At one time it was considered to be devils work to take a bath. Some only took a bath twice a year if at all. No wonder we had a period called the Dark Ages!

That's an urban myth, oar. I can show you medieval woodcuts of people hot-tubbing. True, due to the sheer amount of work it took, middle- and lower-class people rarely bathed. But that doesn't mean they never washed! They just took sponge baths unstead.
Mama Alanna is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mama Alanna For This Useful Post:
Feather (04-23-2017), NowVoyager (04-24-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 11:04 PM   #7
oldasrocks

Well I haven't had a bath for a couple of years. I do shower once or twice a day though.
oldasrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:52 AM   #8
Sysiphus
Senior Level 6

Thanked 1,902 Times in 1,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Alanna View Post
That's an urban myth, oar. I can show you medieval woodcuts of people hot-tubbing. True, due to the sheer amount of work it took, middle- and lower-class people rarely bathed. But that doesn't mean they never washed! They just took sponge baths unstead.
I read somewhere that folks in the city (a pretty small number in those days) could get pretty reekful, since water was often not very plentiful. But, those in the countryside bathed often. Not everyday like many modern folks, but enough to be pretty clean all things considered.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:52 PM   #9
NowVoyager
Senior Level 6

Thanked 8,964 Times in 3,537 Posts
Decades ago I had a friend who had, to put it mildly, very questionable tastes in men.

Suffice to say that she'd pass over a decent fellow with a steady job, stability and a calm life for marginal sorts who were either homeless or transient in nature, but were according to her 'Brilliant geniuses / incredible musicians / undiscovered artists equal to Da Vinci'.......... Yeah. Right.

When hubby and I married I explained we were inviting she and her children but *NOT* her current M.O.T.H (Man Of The Hour) as he didn't bathe (per her, he had very sensitive skin and water caused him to break out in hives. WTH???) also, he was in the process of suing on a fraudulent workers comp case a prominent business man, who would be at the wedding / reception.

She said she understood....

So who shows up with her, literally about 5 minutes before we stand before the minister?

Yeah, scuzzy, reeking MOTH, in dirty, filthy jeans, greasy hair and generally a mess.

Why would any woman (or person) *choose* to be with someone like that is beyond me, but hey, each to their won; right?

Quickly pulled her aside and said we didn't appreciate him being there and she needed to either keep him away from all guests or leave then.

She promised to keep him in the background .... Down wind

Soon as the first picture was taken he freaked out and claimed we'd 'set him up' since he was claiming he couldn't walk in his workers comp case.....

Fast forward a couple years.

This woman was still with the walking waste dump, off and on and during one of their 'artistic breaks' ... And after he'd lost his comp case and was looking as fraud charges, she calls me freaking out....

Seem her 'sensitive man' had allowed his personal hygiene to get so bad (he was quasi - homeless, again) that he'd developed several large boils on his neck and back......

They pretty much went septic and he was in the ER and was unable to move from his shoulders down........

She claimed that his condition was all part of some secret assault by the person he'd sued and lost and that without his knowledge he'd been infected...........

No, she could not / would not consider that his problems, anyone of them, were 100% due to his choices and that all she was doing was feeding into his delusions and enabling him by never telling him ' bathe or leave'. Getting a job would have been good, but hard to find work when you reek of body odor, feces and whatever else ........

There are reasons why a person might have difficulty properly cleaning themselves and in the case of dementia / mental issues, getting cleaned can be like bathing a cat. That situation I described was extreme but when I worked in an office, I had a couple of co-workers over the years who could make a bar of soap last for years . They'd wear expensive clothes, drench themselves in perfume and no one wanted to be anywhere near them. They simply didn't put bathing as a priority.

Walt Whitman
NowVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathing or showering, skipping