Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Crafts > Other Crafts

Other Crafts A place to share your creative side: artwork, photos, crafts, or whatever tickles your fancy!

Old 02-10-2009, 11:30 PM   #1
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,104 Posts
Default Quilling -- Paper filigree

Quilling or paper filigree is the art of creating designs with narrow strips of paper that have been rolled, shaped and arranged to form designs. Quilling is one of the easiest crafts to learn -- and one of the cheapest! You can buy a package of pre-cut papers for $2-$3, or be even cheaper and cut your own. A special slotted tool can be purchased for a nominal sum, or you can use a toothpick or large needle. White glue is the last absolute necessity, and you probably already have that around the house.

Supplies may be available at your local craft store; if not, then there are plenty of online sources. This one looks promising:
http://www.capaper.com/category/quil...FQw9GgodtGMO1A

Or here: http://www.quilledcreations.com/?gcl...FQwNGgodgE3s1A

And the making is easy. Roll a strip of paper around your chosen tool. Allow to uncoil a little, and glue the end. Shape as desired and glue these building blocks into designs.

Nearly all of quilling is done with just a few variations of basic rolls and scrolls. http://www.freecraftunlimited.com/qu...tructions.html

Tight Circle - Quill strip, glue closed while still on quilling tool. Remove from tool carefully. The only shape that isn't uncoiled.

Loose Circle - Place a tiny amount of glue onto the very end (tail) on the inside of the quilled item to close it. In order to get circles of a consistent dimension, allow the paper to uncoil in a plastic circle template.

Teardrop - Make a loose circle; then pinch to a point between your fingers, forming a teardrop.

Marquise (eye) - Make a loose circle; then pinch both ends to a point between your fingers, forming a marquise.

Broken Heart (arrow) - Make a teardrop. On the end opposite of the point, push your fingernail inward to form the heart.

V-Scroll - Load your quilling tool and quill halfway down the strip to the outside. Remove tool and turn the strip over. Quill the other end, quilling outward.

T-Scroll - Make a v-scroll and glue the inside legs together.

Heart Scroll - Same as a v-scroll except you are quilling inward.

C-Scroll - Load your quilling tool and quill halfway down the strip. Remove tool and repeat the same to the other end, forming a c-scroll.

S-Scroll - Load your quilling tool and quill halfway down the strip. Remove tool and turn the strip over. Continue to quill the other end, going in the opposite direction.

What do you do with them after that? Here's some ideas:

And another:

Ornaments, cards, and scrapbooking are only some uses. Look around on the web and see what else you can find!
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:35 PM   #2
Teal
Not Active

I'm having a major deja vu here.

I used to do this..well, I won't say how many years ago. It really is quite Zen.
Teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:39 AM   #3
Ross
Lifetime Member

Thanked 6,140 Times in 2,757 Posts
Might I point out ladies , that vacuuming can also be a very
rewarding experience.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:40 AM   #4
Renegade
Certified Southern Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Might I point out ladies , that vacuuming can also be a very
rewarding experience.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
Teal
Not Active

Humph. It would be very rewarding for men, too, if they ever did it.
Teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 03:28 PM   #6
Key
Member Level 5

Touche....point goes to Teal.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:29 AM   #7
sososleepy

Default thanks for the reminder

Nice post Alanna! Thanks for the reminder. I particularly like the snowflake. I cut them out during the holidays, and you've given me a great idea on combining the cutout with some quill; I can't wait to find a few hours to give it a try! Quite a few years ago I quilled a picture for my dh's office wall. It took ages to complete, but it's still hanging there, and when I visit I'm always happy to see that it's still intact and holding its color. I cut whatever paper was in the house at the time, including some from the kids craft box. In retrospect, I should have used only scrapbooking paper that's guaranteed to hold its color for years to come for a project with that many hours in it. Please keep posting pix of your quilling as you finish stuff. (Yes Ross, running the vac after a few happy hours of quilling to pluck up the leftover shreds is rewarding. You sound somewhat unhappy?)
sososleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:09 AM   #8
sososleepy

Default Still quilling!

Well, you got me started, and I'm still going.... Here are some photos of the snowflakes I've made: http://butterflies.heuristron.net/cr...nowflakes.html
Those were regular paper and glue, but I've finally bought acid free paper and glue and plan to start making the snowflakes with the new supplies this weekend. I didn't want to spend on it, but if I'm going to keep putting hours into it, now that I'm really starting to like what some of the snowflakes look like, I think it's worth investing a little bit in materials that won't fade, yellow, and fall apart so fast.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:20 AM   #9
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,877 Posts
WOW! Do not skip sososleepy's link.

Awesome job, SSS.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #10
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,839 Times in 4,728 Posts
Her entire site kept me busy for the last half hour. The snowflakes are incredible but what really drew me in was her fantastic nature photography... it's like National Geographic.
“When the situation was manageable it was neglected, and now that it is thoroughly out of hand we apply too late the remedies which then might have effected a cure. There is nothing new in the story. It is as old as the sibylline books. It falls into that long, dismal catalogue of the fruitlessness of experience and the confirmed unteachability of mankind. Want of foresight, unwillingness to act when action would be simple and effective, lack of clear thinking, confusion of counsel until the emergency comes, until self-preservation strikes its jarring gong–these are the features which constitute the endless repetition of history.”
— Winston Churchill, House of Commons, 2 May 1935.
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:48 PM   #11
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,104 Posts
Beautiful!
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:53 PM   #12
sososleepy

Default more snowflakes

rb, flourbug and mama Alanna, thank you so very much! I do like my critters flourbug. Today I found a Monarch caterpillar hanging by my front porch in J form ready to become a chrysalis. There are half a dozen or so more caterpillars busily munching my milkweed. Meanwhile, I've been busily working on paper quilling today. The latest flakes are here: http://butterflies.heuristron.net/cr...owflakes3.html and I'm going to try to put one of the pictures in my post:
Old 04-26-2009, 11:04 PM   #13
neilyoungfan
Member Level 4

Oooh, those snowflakes are just beautiful! How long does it take to make each one? I don't think I would have the patience to roll, shape, glue and assemble one. Your nature photos are spectacular, too!
neilyoungfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:09 AM   #14
sososleepy

Thanks neilyoungfan! The ones I'm making now take a few hours, but not all at once. I make the little pieces a few here and a few there when I get spare minutes between stuff - and lots in the car on the weekends if we go out because my husband drives Putting them together and sitting starting at a half built one trying to come up with new creative ideas takes the most time, but that's also the most fun part.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:26 PM   #15
lilly

lovely, really lovely.

I'm partial to snowflakes, put glittery paste on snowflakes on the sight windows, next to the front door at Christmas.

Good thing to use acid free paper when you spend so much time on each creation.

Tags
filigree, paper, quilling