Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Kitchen > Vegan

Vegan For vegan meals, recipes, and advice

Old 03-06-2017, 03:21 PM   #1
AndreaCA
Senior Level 3

Thanked 3,309 Times in 1,479 Posts
Default Vitamin D

Last year, after being 100% vegan after about 6 months, my cholesterol went to an almost normal level but my vitamin D levels plummeted. This is in spite of the fact that I do get quite a bit of of sun exposure. So, I started taking D3 supplements. I don't think it's working. I've been getting terrible aches in what I can only describe as my leg bones, far more intense than shin splints which I've had in the past. I go in for blood work in 2 more months. I've decided that in addition to my d3 supplement, to eat either an egg or serving of fish each day. I may also go back to using my homemade bone broth to cook my soups and beans. I already eat a minimum of 1/2 cup of mushrooms daily which is one of the few plant sources of D.

I started my vegan journey for health reasons. I wanted to avoid taking handfuls of medications every day as I age but aren't vitamins medications? So, I've gone to about 95% vegan the past several months, I'm going to take it to 90% WFPB and see if that helps. What a pain. I just want to be healthy but 100% vegan may not be my answer for complete health.

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-...-a-vegan-diet/
Old 03-07-2017, 06:35 AM   #2
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Thanked 2,897 Times in 1,280 Posts
First of all, how much vit. D3 are you taking? I live in the north and don't get much sun. Even in CA, if you aren't outside a lot, you aren't going to be getting that much vit. D through the sun. I take at least 7,000 i.e. of D3 a day, but that's just me. Recommendations of taking 1,000 i.e. a day are just a bad joke IMO.

I recently read an article about eating vegetarian or vegan. I eat eggs, and include very low fat milk products in my diet. Through my very limited calorie intake while dieting, which will change in time, I have to supplement a lot. Being vegetarian makes it even more important, and I have recently added some of the items recommended through this article. See if there are things that may be good for you too.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/17-pr...d-vegetarians/

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.

Calorie Counter
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mousehound For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 06:57 AM   #3
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

BTW, the things I added are taurine, creatine and beta-alanine. If you intend to add these things to your diet, you might want to read this article as well.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beta_alanine.htm

I sort of freaked a bit when the tingle sensation from the beta-alanin set in for the first time. Now I know it is harmless, and will eventually go away.

Calorie Counter
Old 03-07-2017, 07:02 AM   #4
Oric
El Turco

Thanked 2,208 Times in 979 Posts
I live in a shiny and bright country and I eat meat, still my Vitamin-D counts were very low and I started getting D-3 supplement. I guess it is the end-of-winter effect
Oric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oric For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 08:45 AM   #5
WVDragonlady
Working on it

I'm not vegan in any way but my vit D was down to 14 years back ( should be 30-100 ) I was staggering into things and light headed when I got up from sitting or laying down. I take 5,000 iu every day and now my numbers are up to 57 and this is the first winter in years that I haven't had a cold of some type.
My doctor told me wearing sunscreen can block vit D and I have been wearing it since 1979 when it first came out since I'm blonde,blue eyed and of Scots-Irish/German heritage. I'm very sun sensitive

So just being vegetarian or vegan doesn't lower your vit D. It can be a combination of things

Vit D helps with depression, immune function and any number of things in your body. Its a big problem for a large section of the population
WVDragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WVDragonlady For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 09:48 AM   #6
Oric
El Turco

Thanked 2,208 Times in 979 Posts
What is the best source of getting Vit D supplement. I get them from liquid glass ampules that I break into a spoon but they have a E320 preservative, which some say is shady, but this is cheap. Do you have any other commercial source ?
Oric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:23 PM   #7
WVDragonlady
Working on it

I get mine at Sam's club. One bottle lasts me a year because it has 400 in it. They're 5,000IU and Sam's also has 3,000IU
WVDragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:36 PM   #8
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,267 Times in 3,377 Posts
When my Vit D3 levels were first checked a few months ago, the result was 7, which means it was all but non-existent. I'm taking 20,000 IU's a week and, at the latest check, my level was up to 15. I'm having it rechecked in a month or so and am hoping that I am at least in the 20's by then.

After discussing my situation with my pharmacist, he recommended Maximum D3. It's about the plainest, purest version of oral Vit D3 that he knows about. It's even kosher. From the website:

Quote:
...The pill is a small hard gel cap containing 0.25 mg of pharmaceutical quality cholecalciferol in a digestible oil base. The only ingredients are vitamin D3, non-GMO soybean lecithin, and bovine gelatin.

...The capsules are manufactured, packaged and warehoused in FDA registered facilities. Quality, packaging and stability are to available USP (and FDA) standards.

...A single gel cap contains approximately the same amount - of the same human pro-hormone - a light skinned person would make if exposed to summer sun for a few hours.
For all of you that have very low Vit D levels, it's also a good idea to have your kidney function, as well as calcium and phosphorus levels tested, from both urine and blood samples. It's also a good idea to have your parathyroid (PTH) function checked. You might also want to have a Dexa scan done. Most people know that working together, Vit D and calcium play a vital role in how the body maintains healthy bones. People with insufficient levels of Vit D don't just have weaker bones (osteopenia or osteoporosis); they can also have softened bones (osteomalacia). This is seen as rickets in children.

Vit D is also important in the bio-chemical process of muscle contraction. Low Vit D3 levels cause the muscle cells to take longer to refuel and be available for use. This can be seen as muscle weakness and pain, as well as fatigue. If you're having difficulty in exercising, low Vit D levels could be part of the cause.

Low levels of Vit D can also lead to a whole bunch of other problems.

Ask me how I know.

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Catbird For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (03-07-2017), Feather (03-08-2017), spinnerholic (04-17-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 06:28 AM   #9
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

I want to note here that I have been having problems with taurine. My blood pressure has been up due to this. When I googled taurine, I read that it lowered blood pressure. The kicker is that it only lowers blood pressure in males. In females, it raises the blood pressure!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23392950

Calorie Counter
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mousehound For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (03-13-2017), Feather (03-13-2017), NowVoyager (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 06:10 PM   #10
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 5,268 Times in 2,071 Posts
Isn't D toxic at too high a dosage? And what is that dosage?
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:56 PM   #11
spinnerholic
Senior Level 3

Thanked 1,458 Times in 429 Posts
Default toxic VitD

Wynn here, on Spinners PC....

I believe that intake is irrelevant, what is important is your blood level of D3.
Blood levels of VitD3 are only of concern if it goes above something like 130
ng/ml.
Test were done on indigenous people living traditional lifestyles in the tropics...their levels were quite reliably 75 - 100+

There are 200+ genes [so far] that have receptors for VD3. This indicates that the vit plays some role in the expression of that gene. In some cases it seems to act like a switch, turning the gene on or off at a certain level. In other cases it seem to work more like a volume control, ramping the expression up or down gradually. Many of these genes are poorly understood - their action unknown [yet]. There is some evidence that some genes don't respond until levels reach 50+ ng/ml.

A few days ago, a report on the Vitamin D Council's blog reported that a weekly bolus dose of 70,000 IU initially caused blood calcitriol levels to rise, but then fall. They believed that the temporarily high levels triggered a reaction activating a counter harmone that reduced the levels. This points to the importance of daily doses of ~ 5000IU.

There are co-factors that are important for VitD absorption & conversion: Adequate levels of Boron, Vit K2, Zinc, magnesium.
See : www.vitamindcouncil.org

Wynn

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 PM ----------

The Vit D Council has available a test kit for ~$50, that you send in & get the results about 2-3 weeks later. Believe that this is the cheapest test available.

Wynn

Peace on Earth and Goodwill to All.
spinnerholic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spinnerholic For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (03-16-2017), Feather (03-17-2017), Key (03-16-2017), rb. (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 09:50 AM   #12
Key
Member Level 5

I take 5000 iu a day (also take K2). I forget occasionally, so average about 30,000 a week.

There was a period that I took 10,000 a day for about a year working to get my levels up around 50.

I have done the Vit D tests through Vit D Council several times over a couple years. Easy to do by mail. Probably due to check again.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Key For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (03-16-2017), Feather (03-17-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 06:08 PM   #13
AndreaCA
Senior Level 3

Thanked 3,309 Times in 1,479 Posts
Update, other than a bit of fish, I couldn't go back to eating meat. It no longer tastes good and I don't like the way it makes me feel. Just a month away from being able to have my D levels tested again and I've been very good about taking my supplement. Fingers crossed . . .
Feather (04-17-2017)

Tags
vitamin