Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > News

News This is the forum where we post hard news and current events. If it is outside the box then that is where it goes. If it is your opinion, please write in the Op/Ed forum.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:05 PM   #1
A.T. Hagan
Your "Crazy Town" reporter

Thanked 7,120 Times in 3,021 Posts
Default Authorities Bust 7,000-Bird Cockfighting Operation In Canyon North Of LA

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...on-north-of-la

In what authorities call the largest raid against illegal cockfighting
in United States history, 7,000 birds were seized in Val Verde, Calif.,
on Monday.
Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department/AP

Quote:
The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department announced on Tuesday that it had confiscated 7,000 birds in the largest-ever seizure of fowl used for illegal cockfighting.

Capt. Jeff Perry described a raid that sounded like a scene from a movie — 100 personnel from the sheriff's office, along with animal control, served a search warrant on an 80-acre property in unincorporated northern Los Angeles County. Officers on horseback patrolled the canyon as suspects ran into the hills.

Perry said approximately 10 people were detained. "Most of the detainees were more the lower level, the caretakers, the people that were entrusted with the feeding and caring for the animals at the scene," he said. "We have identified the property owner and he is the primary suspect in the case. The investigation is ongoing and we anticipate making several arrests."
The rest at NPR.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:17 PM   #2
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,806 Times in 2,874 Posts
Probably 10-20 bird cockfighting operation hidden in a large chicken farm.

Snatch all the birds even the eating and laying hens and it becomes a "7,000 bird cockfighting operation".

Technically true but I wonder if the Police issued the press release like that or it came from the editor?

Oh well, "The bigger the bust, the bigger the boost".
Old 05-18-2017, 10:34 PM   #3
Antropologo
Skeptically Inquisitive

Thanked 1,043 Times in 419 Posts
I have no problem with cockfighting. When I spent time in rural community in Honduras, I noticed that just about every boy had their pet rooster and they'd always try to have them fight one another. It was a matter of pride.

I've never seen cock fighting where they've attached metal talons, but it would be interesting to watch.
Antropologo is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
000bird, authorities, bust, canyon, cockfighting, north, operation