Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Politics

Politics Step up and make your case on all manner of political topics.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:39 AM   #1
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 6,134 Times in 3,001 Posts
Default Wa! Trump blocked me! Sue!

Who would have thought that Twitter and intellectual would be in the same article?

http://fortune.com/2017/07/14/trump-...-me-my-career/

Trump Blocked Me on Twitter and It’s Costing Me My Career

Most of my writing is about the Trump administration. In fact, my mandate from Pacific Standard is “Trump and the law.” On Twitter, the bulk of my recent follower growth and new relationships with others in the politico-legal sphere have come out of responding quickly when the president tweets and engaging the threads of conversation that flow from those tweets.

So when President Donald Trump blocked me in June, apparently for suggesting that Russia influenced the outcome of the 2016 election, he harmed me professionally. Even though I knew @realDonaldTrump was important to my career, it still took me at least a few days to recognize how being blocked by the president on Twitter would affect me as a public intellectual.

Twitter initially became a haven for me when I recognized it as a great equalizer in the media world. Washington DC, generally, and the world of writing and commentary, specifically, operate on networks and connections that many denizens inherit. Mine are hard won.

Not every tweet is a hit, but when I make a point pithily and it’s liked and retweeted by thousands of people, some of the people who agree with my point or like the way I make it follow me or reach out. And some of those people are editors, experts, and advocates who become employers, contributors, and collaborators.

Gone now is my ability to participate in the timeliest and most robust conversations around law, policy, and politics on Twitter—those around the president’s tweets. Taking part in these exchanges was an ideal way to stay current on not just facts, but new ideas. These threads make up the marketplace of ideas in which my peers and potential employers, colleagues, and audience are present and participating. I’ve been forced out and have no meaningful way to rejoin them.

More at link.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:43 AM   #2
Ross
Lifetime Level 1

Thanked 6,255 Times in 2,818 Posts
Cuts both ways I would have thought .

Can the plaintiff prove financial loss , if so then Trump could
probably claim damage to his career or additional election
advertising costs.

“If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don’t believe in it at all.” ( Noam Chomsky )

‘you can judge a man’s spirit by the amount of truth he can tolerate.’ .... Nietzsche

We are a nation of assimilated immigrants. Immigration without assimilation is invasion.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:32 AM   #3
Glockd
5.56, faster than 911

Thanked 1,825 Times in 848 Posts
Who cares? Good block. Another snowflake who's single redeeming quality would be as shark shit and nothing else.

"When the enemy is in range, so are you!" - Murphy
كافر & Proud
Glockd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Glockd For This Useful Post:
Cactus Az (07-15-2017)
Old 07-15-2017, 06:15 PM   #4
Brihard
Non-Electric Pop Up Target

Thanked 1,236 Times in 510 Posts
There is an interesting argument to be made that in his capacity as POTUS, even Trump's social media posts have real significance. Every tweet he fires out while taking a shit has the potential (and in some cases literally has) to make significant impacts on stock prices, foreign relations, and all manner of domestic issues. It is a choice on Trump's part to make use of such medias, and I see some merit in positions some are taking that his tweets need to be treated the same as any other presidential communications for archival purposes, and for public access. His lack of filter is causing for new and novel confluences of law when lawyers have to start figuring out how a president's social media posts ought to be handled... I'll be curious to see what new norms eventually come out of this.
Brihard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brihard For This Useful Post:
Feather (07-15-2017), spinnerholic (07-15-2017)
Old 07-15-2017, 06:45 PM   #5
spinnerholic
Senior Level 3

Thanked 1,665 Times in 467 Posts
This is the US. Where freedom of speech is treasured. If Trump doesn't like someone's take on his actions, tuff stuff.

When leaders can block voices speaking against them, then freedom is dead. Like it or not.

Peace on Earth and Goodwill to All.
spinnerholic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spinnerholic For This Useful Post:
Feather (07-15-2017)
Old 07-15-2017, 07:36 PM   #6
leistb
There's no justice - it's just us

Thanked 3,411 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnerholic View Post
This is the US. Where freedom of speech is treasured. If Trump doesn't like someone's take on his actions, tuff stuff.

When leaders can block voices speaking against them, then freedom is dead. Like it or not.
Dinesh D'Souza
leistb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:44 PM   #7
spinnerholic
Senior Level 3

Thanked 1,665 Times in 467 Posts
Wrong is wrong.
D'Souza got caught in his own doings. It's totally different from speaking out.

Peace on Earth and Goodwill to All.
spinnerholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:53 PM   #8
Twoolf
Stop the world; I want to throw a few people off.

Thanked 2,001 Times in 928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnerholic View Post

Yes we have freedom of speech. It doesn't mean though that I have to provide you or anyone else a platform to exercise your free speech. Buy your own soap box. The same applies to politicians. They don't have to provide your soap box either. You can say what ever you want, on your own dime.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Twoolf For This Useful Post:
NowVoyager (07-15-2017), rryan (07-17-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 06:25 PM   #9
Glockd
5.56, faster than 911

He did not stop the idiot from spewing his drivel, he just blocked it so he did not have to see it. Good for Trump.

No rights were stomped on, asshole shoulda been curbstomped but blocked instead.

Boo Hoo.

كافر & Proud
Old 07-17-2017, 01:49 PM   #10
Brihard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockd View Post
He did not stop the idiot from spewing his drivel, he just blocked it so he did not have to see it. Good for Trump.

No rights were stomped on, asshole shoulda been curbstomped but blocked instead.

Boo Hoo.
Actually Trump also blocked that person from seeing his posts on that platform. Which, given the nature of the platform, severely hinders a person's ability to write react posts that will be picked up by the platform's algorithm's. Essentially Trump denied the guy the ability to 'quote' him in the way that that platform allows. I can completely see why the author in question is saying that's a big deal. Absolutely it is.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:11 PM   #11
Glockd
5.56, faster than 911

Of the millions of followers of Trump, and the two or three that follow this guy, your argument does not hold water, he can easily see a tweet on another phone, account, or online and reply to his hearts content. Trump has not put him in a box with air holes and clamped the lid shut.

كافر & Proud
Old 07-17-2017, 02:21 PM   #12
Brihard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockd View Post
Of the millions of followers of Trump, and the two or three that follow this guy, your argument does not hold water, he can easily see a tweet on another phone, account, or online and reply to his hearts content. Trump has not put him in a box with air holes and clamped the lid shut.
You clearly do not use Twitter and don't understand how the platform works and why this is significant for a reporter... You're completely missing how reporters use it.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:37 AM   #13
Sysiphus
Senior Level 6

Thanked 1,967 Times in 1,127 Posts
The problem is that by being blocked, he cannot retweet Trump posts and comment on them. If this guy really is a reporter, given Trump's propensity to communicating via Twitter, this very well could be a First Amendment violation. It is tantamount to telling a reporter you can't reprint a public statement. Trump is no longer a private citizen. He needs to understand that new rules apply.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:31 AM   #14
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 5,101 Times in 2,275 Posts
Did the former potus ever block an account?

Do reports get special treatment when it comes to access to anything the potus says?

Is anyone who wants it given press credentials to the White House? Or do ones without access have to wait down the trough to do their stories after the initial briefings/statements are reported by someone else?
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blocked, sue, trump