Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Science Center > Environmental News

Environmental News Discuss weather, climate, and earth changes here.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:28 PM   #1
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,537 Times in 3,464 Posts
Default Solar storm and Northern Lights

I'm late getting this posted but there's still time to possibly have a once-in-a-lifetime event.

Big Solar Storm Coming Our Way, Now’s Your Chance to See Auroras

Quote:
...NASA announced that two powerful flares were just emitted on the surface of the Sun, casting coronal mass ejections in our direction. Over the course of the next couple of days, this should generate aurora activity in the sky outside the regular viewing areas. In other words, if you normally don’t see the Northern Lights where you live, you might want to spend a few hours outside tonight and tomorrow. Look up, you might see something.

This morning, the Sun released the most powerful solar flare recorded since 2008. Here's what our satellite saw: https://t.co/mk2540AdtV pic.twitter.com/7hVektV682

— NASA Sun & Space (@NASASun) September 6, 2017
The first flare, an X2.2 event, peaked on September 6 at 5:10 am EDT and the second X9.3 flare went off at 8:02 am. Both of which came from the sunspot group AR 2673. If you’ve still got those eclipse glasses, take a look at the Sun, and you should be able to see the sunspot group right now. There are two groups of sunspots close to one another, AR 2673 and AR 2674. This follows up the X4 flare emitted on September 4th.

...But, measuring in at X9.3, today’s flare is the strongest in almost a decade. The last one this strong was back in 2008. And NOAA is predicting that this flare could cause radio blackouts across the sun-facing side of the Earth. If you’re out at sea and depending on your radio transmissions, don’t be surprised if you’re getting a lot of static today.

...If you want to maximize your chances of seeing an aurora, check out the Space Weather site on a regular basis. There are also services that’ll send you a text message when there’s a powerful aurora going on in your area (just Google “aurora alert text messages”. And of course, there are handy apps that’ll make your phone beep boop when there are auroras overhead. I use an app called Aurora Alert.

This pic is from NASA's Goddard website.

Two Significant Solar Flares Imaged by NASA's SDO

The sun emitted two significant solar flares on the morning of Sept. 6, 2017. The first peaked at 5:10 a.m. EDT and the second, larger flare, peaked at 8:02 a.m. EDT. NASA’s Solar Dynamics Observatory, which watches the sun constantly, captured images of both events. Solar flares are powerful bursts of radiation. Harmful radiation from a flare cannot pass through Earth's atmosphere to physically affect humans on the ground, however — when intense enough — they can disturb the atmosphere in the layer where GPS and communications signals travel.

Additional pics from Goddard:

An X9.3

Different views of the X9.3 flare from Sept. 6, 2017. On the left, it flashes in a blend of 131 and 171 angstrom light. On the right it shows light in both visible and 304 angstrom extreme ultraviolet wavelengths, revealing both sunspots visible on the Sun's surface and the flare in the solar atmosphere.>Credit: NASA/GSFC/SDO

Map of where you might be able to see the Northern Lights.

Space Weather Prediction Center

For an animated map showing an Aurora 3 day forecast, go to NOAA/NWS Aurora - 3 Day Forecast

Good luck and enjoy!!

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Catbird For This Useful Post:
booger (09-08-2017), NowVoyager (09-07-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 10:06 PM   #2
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,842 Times in 5,385 Posts
We're going to be getting some clear skies tomorrow night so I'm hoping we'll be blessed with some lights.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:40 AM   #3
Sysiphus
Senior Level 6

Thanked 1,977 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post
We're going to be getting some clear skies tomorrow night so I'm hoping we'll be blessed with some lights.
Just smoke, smoke and more smoke here.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:52 AM   #4
A.T. Hagan
Your "Crazy Town" reporter

Thanked 7,590 Times in 3,185 Posts
I saw the reports yesterday and immediately thought this might be one of those rare instances where the aurora might come far enough south to see it in Florida.

So naturally we have a hurricane coming in and won't be able to see it anyway!
Old 09-07-2017, 06:13 PM   #5
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,537 Times in 3,464 Posts
Updated map shows that the yellow line (boundary of ability to view aurora) has moved a hair north.

But, for folks who live along that latitude and have clear skies, there's still a chance of getting to see the beauty of the Northern Lights.

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Catbird For This Useful Post:
Feather (09-08-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 06:40 PM   #6
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,842 Times in 5,385 Posts
I'm hoping but we'll need a break in the current cloud cover.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:19 PM   #7
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,579 Posts
We're clear so I'll go out tonight and see if I can see them. I'm right on that yellow line though.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:02 AM   #8
Samen
unregistered

Follow the green line, right on it.
Samen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights, northern, solar, storm