Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Medical News

Medical News News, information and discussions about health issues, medicine and biotechnology.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:44 PM   #1
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,907 Times in 5,404 Posts
Post Two people in Windsor, Ont. die from West Nile virus

***Two deaths attributed to the West Nile virus have been reported in the Windsor area, says Windsor-Essex County Health Unit.

The health unit is warning the public to take precautions and protect themselves against the virus. The hot and wet conditions this year mean it’s a particularly bad mosquito season.

“(West Nile virus) continues to be a risk until the area experiences temperatures below freezing,” they said in a statement released Monday.

CTV Windsor reports that the victims were both elderly, who along with infants are at an increased risk due to weakened immune systems.

These were the first deaths that have been reported in the Windsor- Essex area since 2012.

The news comes after researchers at Brock University predicted an outbreak of West Nile cases in Ontario this summer.

In their study, published in the journal PLOS One in August, they said as many as 500 human cases are expected to strike the province.

Since the beginning of summer there have been several cases of West Nile virus reported in Ontario and they’ve become more frequent as summer comes to an end...***

Rest at link:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/two-peo...irus-1.3585063

Last summer, we had close to drought conditions leaving very little standing water for mosquito eggs to hatch. Our winter was low on precipitation but when it started raining in March, we were deluged. Over & above a lot of shoreline & other damage, there has been plenty of water for skitters & we've "enjoyed" double/triple hatches. I've not been able to enjoy my garden as much as I'd like - too many mosquitoes & I'm tired of being covered in bites, welts, itchies...

We're enjoying a golden week of weather, comfy, clear days & lovely nights but when it starts cooling, the little pests will really be wanting to bite & I expect numbers of confirmed cases will rise.

Tags
die, nile, ont, people, virus, west, windsor